As said in the title, I am looking for a radio app which preferably streams FM radio channels without needing a Internet Connection. During this storm, I need a source of radio without an Internet connection. I was able to use the radio on a $5 dollar chinese MP4 player which I bought 5 years ago. I am curious as to if any app is available for the PB?
    11-05-12 12:51 PM
    Your mp3 player has an FM receiver I gather. Doubt there's an app for that.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    11-05-12 12:55 PM
    Yes, I think the hardware, the PlayBook in this case, would have to have an antenna for it (internal, not necessarily the old school metal one!) and that is why there are no apps that for what you are looking for.

There are MP3 players that don't have that option, you just happened to get one with that feature.
    11-05-12 02:21 PM
    Not possible, I mean physically, PB simply doesn't have an FM radio receiver.

As in, we have a GPS receiver, we can have GPS apps, we have a gyroscope, apps can follow your movements, we have magnetic detector, apps can create a compass or a metallic stud detector, we have a light sensor, screen can dim or light up automatically, etc.

Your device must have an FM receiver to... receive FM!

What you can do when you have internet access is listen to a copy of the FM signal that is compressed (mp3, or other format) and streamed. If you have access to both at the same time, on 2 different devices, you'll even notice a delay between the analog immediate signal (the real grandpa FM radio), and the digitized delayed internet stream of the same station.

That's why I allways keep a cheap FM radio with batteries, and a real physical tel. land line: even when there's no power, I can have info and phone! Reminds me that I promised last time to buy a camping gaz burner for next power cut, I neeeed my coffee even if I loose heating! ;-)

Hope all is getting better for you and your loved ones, my thoughts are with you in this hard time.
    bdegrande likes this.
    11-05-12 08:37 PM
    Actually the PB has a fm radio on the chip, but it isn't enabled.
    BerryClever and playbookpa like this.
    11-05-12 09:20 PM
    Really? wow. Now why would they do it, I wonder.
    11-06-12 01:50 AM
    I don't suppose that they actually cared aboit that feature. As far as I remember, that chip that has wifi/BT/GPS on it also has FM on it. It came as a package.
    Besides, we're talkkng about RIM. They are not known to release cool features to compete in recent years...
    11-06-12 06:49 AM
    Ah! Didn't know that, thanks!

Maybe they thought it was better not to enable it because you have to use an antenna for it to work. In small mp3 player, the cord of the ear pieces usually acts as an antenna, so you can't use the speakers at the same time. People would have said it doesn't work, since we love the fabulous PB speakers! No privileged information here, just thinking out loud.
    11-06-12 07:10 AM
    Thank You. All is well with me and my family. Still no light after 7 days but gas works and I still have water so not really complaining.
    Not possible, I mean physically, PB simply doesn't have an FM radio receiver.

As in, we have a GPS receiver, we can have GPS apps, we have a gyroscope, apps can follow your movements, we have magnetic detector, apps can create a compass or a metallic stud detector, we have a light sensor, screen can dim or light up automatically, etc.

Your device must have an FM receiver to... receive FM!

What you can do when you have internet access is listen to a copy of the FM signal that is compressed (mp3, or other format) and streamed. If you have access to both at the same time, on 2 different devices, you'll even notice a delay between the analog immediate signal (the real grandpa FM radio), and the digitized delayed internet stream of the same station.

That's why I allways keep a cheap FM radio with batteries, and a real physical tel. land line: even when there's no power, I can have info and phone! Reminds me that I promised last time to buy a camping gaz burner for next power cut, I neeeed my coffee even if I loose heating! ;-)

Hope all is getting better for you and your loved ones, my thoughts are with you in this hard time.
    adi_vastava likes this.
    11-06-12 08:56 AM
    Do they?
    11-06-12 08:58 AM
    You seem to be right.

"Other chips inside the BlackBerry PlayBook include a power management chip and a Bluetooth/WLAN/GPS/FM receiver, all from Texas Instruments. There's a graphics processing chip from STMicroelectronics and an audio chip from Wolfson. The BlackBerry uses a Bosch Sensortec 3-axis accelerometer and an Invensense 3-axis gyroscope to determine its orientation."

Source: HowStuffWorks "Under the PlayBook Hood"
    11-06-12 10:01 AM
    Yes, that's what I heard. There was a discussion about it a while back. I don't remember the chip's model number. It was supposed to be some high quality all included chip.
    But it does make sense with the antenna part. If the earpiece cord has to be the antenna, it wouldn't work over speakers. i have an old Nokia phone like that.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Tapatalk
    11-06-12 10:26 AM