Ok I know that this has been discussed a bit already but wanted to share my story. I read about this software for PC and Mac also I think called LogMeIn from www.logmein.com . I also read that It's pretty limited as far as what You can actually do with it from the PlayBook as there is no app for it on the PB. However there is still some good function here to it.

So I'm away from the house on an overnight trip and there was a movie I had on my external HDD at home that I wanted to watch. My laptop isn't with me so I was thinking of how I could get it on my PlayBook then it hit me. "The cloud". So here is what I did.

I went to the LogMeIn web site on the PB, (keep in mind I already had their software set up on my PC and it was on at home), I choose the remote control option to control my desktop from my PB. Now with a touch interface there are limits for sure, but you can do whatever you want that involves single clicks or using the software keyboard on the PB.

So at this point I opened Firefox tapped in the address bar and went to my Amazon cloud drive. I clicked on upload a file and selected the file that I wanted to watch. Uploaded it without any problems and bingo, it's in the cloud! Now I can stream it from there in another tab in the PB browser or download it right to my PB from the cloud drive.

So far I have been pretty pleased with the PC software and as Joseph Holder had wrote a blog about it I started playing around with it and I have to say I have found it more than useful. If anyone has files at home and you are on the road and want access to them, this is one solution that works well for me.

Happy surfing...
    12-02-11 11:30 PM
    Hmmmm, sounds like a morning project for me! Thanks!
    12-03-11 07:06 AM
    For me the most effective setup was to install Uvnc on my computer and the free IMT vnc app on the playbook. This gives you the ability to right click as well and gives overall much better useability
    12-03-11 08:45 AM
    For me the most effective setup was to install Uvnc on my computer and the free IMT vnc app on the playbook. This gives you the ability to right click as well and gives overall much better useability
    Interesting. Does this app have a web based solution also so I can do the same thing on my computer? Depending on what I'm doing at the time depends on where I want my files to go, PlayBook or Netbook.
    Last edited by axllebeer; 12-03-11 at 09:51 AM.
    12-03-11 09:32 AM
    No it does not give web based access. For that i use logmein. For accessing my pc through the playbook i use uvnc.
    12-03-11 05:36 PM
    Ok cool. I will have to check that out. Thanks for the tip.
    12-03-11 07:42 PM
    best thing for logmein is the addition of a bluetooth mouse paired with the playbook.
    12-03-11 10:57 PM
    best thing for logmein is the addition of a bluetooth mouse paired with the playbook.
    I've thought many times of getting a bluetooth keyboard and mouse for my PlayBook and perhaps other devices I have, but they are pretty pricy. Will pretty much any keyboard mouse combonations work with it? Are there any that don't? As long as it's bluetooth of course.
    Last edited by axllebeer; 12-07-11 at 11:40 AM. Reason: spelling
    12-07-11 12:05 AM
    How have you found the performance of that setup?

I have the IMT vnc app too and have test driven it several times. I have found it to be so laggy as to be unusable.

I can be sitting right next to my laptop and move screens around via the playbook. The laptop side responds instantly, but the Playbook side can take 10-15 seconds to catch up - like back in dial-up days.
    12-07-11 08:32 AM
    i use logmein to admin the machines at work.
    i like it better than vnc and rdc
    12-07-11 08:57 AM
    The coolest part is you found a way around the biggest limitation of logmein, NO SOUND! The use of the cloud-drive was brilliant!
    00stryder and axllebeer like this.
    12-07-11 09:36 AM
    How is Logmein working for everybody? I'm thinking about trying it myself, just wondering how it is working with Playbook 2.0.

Thank you for any feedback or advice.
    03-06-12 12:09 PM
    I use teamviewer simply because they provide an android app for my Nexus One and it requires no tinkering with any routers. They also have a web interface similar to logmein. If I were to choose between using the android app with a 3.7" screen over 3G vs. the web interface on the playbook browser on a 7" screen over WIFI, I would choose the android app hands down. It's that much better performance and useability wise. If they could do the same app for the playbook, I can confidently leave my laptop at home.

I've posted the apk file on these forums to be converted to a bar file, but unfortunately, it didn't work.

It's because of this (and the lack of PPTP VPN) that I'm seriously considering buying an Android tablet.
    03-06-12 12:50 PM
    Thanks OP, good thinking.

So I tried Logmein and was pleasantly surprised at how well it worked for me. I tried it using wifi and also tethered to my phone using 3G connection, No real problems, for emergencies this should work fine, for my needs at least. The remote control function on the handset makes Logmein pretty useable. Right click function works great.
    axllebeer likes this.
    03-08-12 07:47 AM
    Thanks OP, good thinking.

So I tried Logmein and was pleasantly surprised at how well it worked for me. I tried it using wifi and also tethered to my phone using 3G connection, No real problems, for emergencies this should work fine, for my needs at least. The remote control function on the handset makes Logmein pretty useable. Right click function works great.
    Yes I have tried using it now that we have remote control on our BlackBerrys and it works very well. Much better than before. at this point I wish we had an app too but for now this is even more usable than before.
    mszbzltn likes this.
    04-26-12 09:52 PM
    I use logmein all the time to access my work computer. It is very easy to setup and works smoothly. Never had any issues with it. I have also tried using it on the Playbook. Prior to Blackberry bridge, I couldn't right-click so it was limited because there are a lot of functions that I use in Windows that require accessing the right-click menu.

However, since I was able to pair my Torch 9810 with Blackberry bridge, Logmein on Playbook is AWESOME!!!!!

Blackberry bridge gives me access to my phone keyboard which is good enough to type. Maybe not a whole letter, but if I need to enter some command-line things it works well. Also this means I have full use of the screen because the keyboard doesn't need to be popped up on the Playbook to type stuff.

Also, the use of the trackpad/screen for mouse control is very precise and I can now left click, or right-click, or scroll, or do any number of combination-keys (even the Windows key!!!!).... as these are all available on Blackberry Bridge!

For a completely FREE solution that works great with my gear, Playbook + Torch9810 + BB Bridge + Logmein is a killer combination! Now I can control my work computers from the comfort of my toilet, bed, hot-tub, garage...
    axllebeer likes this.
    04-26-12 10:34 PM
    So here's my latest piece for the PlayBook using BlackBerry Bridge and LogMeIn:

I recently setup PlayOn on my home desktop. I used it at home for several days then went off to work overnight shifts for a few days. At night I thought I would give it a try. To my dismay, I never setup the router manually for mobile access.
    LogMeIn here we go! So I pulled up Simple Browser and logged into my home PC while reading through the web on the PlayBook browser on the steps I needed to go through for manual setup. Then using Bridge Remote to navigate, I pulled up Firefox on my home PC, manually configured the router, saved all my settings and presto! Good to go and watching Fringe on Hulu now. I'm a happy man, so I wanted to share my story.
    05-18-12 11:02 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD