update 23 Nov 2011: doesn't work in 2.0.0-4867 (RIM blocks the port for local connection)

update 8 Dec 2011: if you have rooted your playbook, reenable localbar by:

Code:
    cat /etc/pf.conf | grep -v '443'| pfctl -f-
    Put it in startup.sh to make it automatic.

update 3 Feb 2012: by startup.sh, i meant the one in /accounts/devuser/

Hi,

I just quickly developed an app that will allow you to install signed BAR files directly from your PlayBook. This app is called LocalBar. To install it for the first time, you will need to sideload the app using some methods that you can find in this forum.

You can download the app, and see the guide from my website:

LocalBar

Edit I was in a hurry when I posted the original message. Here are some additional details:

- I am using https://localhost method. To put it simply: it works like other desktop installers that connect via network or USB, it sends commands to an HTTP service in the playbook. The only difference is that it works through the playbook itself.
    - It is possible that in the future RIM may block requests from localhost
    - I don't have time to develop nice GUI for this, so I just use the basic GUI API that is accessible using NDK. For example: in the NDK there is a "login dialog" but no "password dialog", so for the password dialog I use the "login dialog" that shows the "user" field (which I don't need).
    - This works on OS 1.0.7 and on 2.0
    - With this you can sort of OTA install through the playbook. From your PlayBook Just go to a website that has some bar files (for example this forum) , download it using the built in playbook browser, then run LocalBar to install the downloaded bar files.
    Last edited by tinyhack; 02-03-12 at 03:45 AM.
    vecharo, HaTaX, KermEd and 44 others like this.
    11-05-11 01:30 AM
    Sounds great. I will give it a shot once I'm at pc..
    11-05-11 01:53 AM
    Damn, trying it now!

Also, you can find instructions on DDPB here: BlackBerry + Android, and thank you DDPB Installer | File Archive Haven
    11-05-11 01:56 AM
    tinyhack: I have REd the sshd connect by the way (save you time).
    11-05-11 02:01 AM
    Nice job! I'm going to take a stab in the dark here, but are you using bps_event_create() to push an install request into the queue?

EDIT:

Nevermind, looks like you're installing it through the https://localhost/ method. Still great work! I'm sure now that the method has been uncovered, there is bound to be some new life breathed into the PB before next year.
    Last edited by HaTaX; 11-05-11 at 02:44 AM.
    11-05-11 02:12 AM
    wow! this is awesome!
    11-05-11 02:18 AM
    is this only for OS2 or does it also work with the current official OS?
    11-05-11 02:44 AM
    Nice job! I'm going to take a stab in the dark here, but are you using bps_event_create() to push an install request into the queue?

EDIT:

Nevermind, looks like you're installing it through the https://localhost/ method. Still great work! I'm sure now that the method has been uncovered, there is bound to be some new life breathed into the PB before next year.
    all the technicalities of the playbook really interest me; can you explain how this method works, even if in short?
    11-05-11 02:49 AM
    Should work with either, was built using the 1.0.7 NDK.
    paolowafu likes this.
    11-05-11 02:49 AM
    nice. corrct me if im wrong but this allows us to sort of ota install of app on the playbook
    11-05-11 02:54 AM

EDIT:

Yes, you are correct, I am using the https://localhost method. I was wondering why one one implemented this idea before.

It is quite obvious that in development mode we can Install apps through the network, so using the same protocol we can install apps directly from the playbook.
    KermEd likes this.
    11-05-11 03:07 AM
    nice. corrct me if im wrong but this allows us to sort of ota install of app on the playbook
    Yes, you are correct.
    11-05-11 03:16 AM
    all the technicalities of the playbook really interest me; can you explain how this method works, even if in short?
    I have edited my original post to explain this. This is how it works:

When you use the desktop sideloader, you enter an IP address, then connect through the network to that IP address.

LocalBar uses the same protocol, but since it knows that it connect to the same IP address as itself, it can just use "localhost" as the connection address.
    11-05-11 03:19 AM
    tinyhack: I have REd the sshd connect by the way (save you time).
    Cool. I am using you PlayBook connect to explore my PlayBook.
    11-05-11 03:25 AM
    Should work with either, was built using the 1.0.7 NDK.
    great ill try it now... thanks
    tsells likes this.
    11-05-11 04:01 AM
    It is working extremely well. Smooth work.
    11-05-11 04:33 AM
    Wow... great stuff!!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-05-11 05:09 AM
    Brilliant! Well worth a donation too. Thank you!
    11-05-11 08:13 AM
    Brilliant! Well worth a donation too. Thank you!
    Thank you
    11-05-11 08:35 AM
    tinyhack, have you tried to get this accepted into App World yet, or have plans to submit it?
    11-05-11 09:08 AM
    tinyhack, have you tried to get this accepted into App World yet, or have plans to submit it?
    i haven't tried, but I think it will not get accepted. I am using undocumented stuff that can be blocked or pulled any time.
    11-05-11 09:36 AM
    Is it just me.. I don't see a BAR file when the downloaded file is unzipped?

> Update- I changed the file extension of localbar to localbar.bar and it installed - No icon on PB though
    Last edited by sheldonbk; 11-05-11 at 10:14 AM. Reason: Update
    11-05-11 09:59 AM
    looks like you have broken new ground! this is fantastic! Thank you.

Sent from my BlackBerry Runtime for Android Apps using Tapatalk
    11-05-11 10:08 AM
    Is it just me.. I don't see a BAR file when the downloaded file is unzipped?

> Update- I changed the file extension of localbar to localbar.bar and it installed - No icon on PB though
    the icon is a giraffe.
    11-05-11 10:19 AM
    this is so cool, thanks tinyhack
    11-05-11 12:14 PM
87 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD