Has anyone figured out how to load epubs into the Kobo app? I can't for the life of me figure out what needs to be done here. I know that Kobo supports epub but if I drag one into the books folder on the PlayBook, even after I refresh, it doesn't show up.

Anyone know what to do to make this work or are we screwed until Amazon finally releases a Kindle app?
    Last edited by Chronos88; 04-19-11 at 11:05 PM.
    04-19-11 11:02 PM
    I am having the same issue...How does one read epubs on playbook?
    04-20-11 01:35 AM
    Looking to copy my collection over to the playbook. should be 1000x better than using the laptop!
    04-20-11 12:06 PM
    Can you use the WiFi file transfer to transfer your ebook collection to the "books" folder?
    04-20-11 12:08 PM
    I noticed the same thing. The Kobo reader only shows books that you have purchased using your Kobo account. It doesn't seem to acknowledge any other epub documents on the Playbook.
    04-20-11 12:10 PM
    I've been trying to figure this out for 2 days. I'm hoping a 3rd party app called calibre can help us...I've already opened a "bug" with them to get support but I'm hoping someone else here at CB can go over and give them the info they need to make it work cause I'm technologically challenged.
    04-23-11 12:47 PM
    I've been trying to figure this out for 2 days. I'm hoping a 3rd party app called calibre can help us...I've already opened a "bug" with them to get support but I'm hoping someone else here at CB can go over and give them the info they need to make it work cause I'm technologically challenged.
    Calibre won't help you. its just a format converter. i have tried both epub and pdf and the reader doesn't see nything but the pre loads.
    04-23-11 01:34 PM
    I also tried to sync with DM, there is no function.
    AdobeDigitalEditions is also no help since it can not recognize the PB as a Kobo device.
    So you own a ePub file but can't use it!
    There seem also not to be any other eReaders available on AppWorld
    04-23-11 02:43 PM
    Calibre won't help you. its just a format converter. i have tried both epub and pdf and the reader doesn't see nything but the pre loads.
    Adobe Reader will open the PDF but the program is lame.
    You can't use PDF bookmarks or go to specific pages.
    04-23-11 02:44 PM
    Use Calibre to convert to PDF and read them in the Acrobat reader. It's pretty bare bones but it does work
    04-23-11 02:45 PM
    calibre is not billed as just a format converter...it is supposed to be able to load them onto the device...
    04-23-11 03:26 PM
    Loading the books onto the device is not the issue. Kobo will not recognize them. There are other threads on this, Kobo has issued emails stating that you cant do it.
    04-23-11 08:22 PM
    I think we are going to be out of luck until Amazon releases the Kindle reader, and Calibre is updated to natively push to some app on the PlayBook.

Another applications disappointment...
    04-23-11 08:28 PM
    has anyone tried downloading the kobo app for the pc and see if it will see the epub books then syn with the playbook?
    04-23-11 09:24 PM
    has anyone tried downloading the kobo app for the pc and see if it will see the epub books then syn with the playbook?
    There is no sync because the PB is not recognized by any device as being a 'Kobo device'. Further, no one other than RIM and Kobo can get into the directory where the books are stored.
    04-23-11 09:30 PM
    The applications does not support loading epub ebooks from the directory. You can only download free or paid ebooks from the Kobo site. Upon learing this, I quickly deleted the applciation and I am waiting for the nook app.
    04-24-11 09:08 AM
    The applications does not support loading epub ebooks from the directory. You can only download free or paid ebooks from the Kobo site. Upon learing this, I quickly deleted the applciation and I am waiting for the nook app.
    Seems odd because Calibre works well with a "real" Kobo device (allows epub to be transferred to and read using a Kobo device).
    06-11-11 08:31 PM
    Just did a search and there is an epub reader in the app world. Is it any good?
    06-17-11 11:20 PM
    here is a site that converts epub to kobo

Online ePub converter

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-18-11 01:33 AM

Just a starter app
    Not quite worth the 1.99 fee
    For the time being use the Adobe Reader
    06-18-11 06:11 PM
    Its actually not bad. It needs some improvements but seems not too much that cant be fixed with a update. And 2 bucks isnt alot of money to get more fun out of your $500+ playbook.
    06-18-11 06:55 PM
    This program doesn't work. I can't get it to recognize one of the more than 100 non-drm epub files I have installed on the Playbook. Don't waste your money.
    06-19-11 02:28 AM
    Its actually not bad. It needs some improvements but seems not too much that cant be fixed with a update. And 2 bucks isnt alot of money to get more fun out of your $500+ playbook.
    How did you get it to work? I have dozens of non-drm epub files in my books file and the epub reader has not found them when I click input epub. I have installed and uninstalled the program, and asked for assistance from the app designer (communication, but no help, occurred). Am I missing a step? I have installed epub files via drag and drop on both the playbook, and my desktop interface.

Any tips?
    06-19-11 02:41 AM
    I think that the Kobo App is only looking at a specified directory and that is why it wll not load epub books in the "Books" directory. It simply does not look in the "Books" directory on the Playbook.

Using the file manager, I have looked for the location where Kobo stores its book but I have not been able to find it. Maybe someone with a better understanding of the directory structure can find it.
    06-19-11 07:34 AM
    How did you get it to work? I have dozens of non-drm epub files in my books file and the epub reader has not found them when I click input epub. I have installed and uninstalled the program, and asked for assistance from the app designer (communication, but no help, occurred). Am I missing a step? I have installed epub files via drag and drop on both the playbook, and my desktop interface.

Any tips?
    It's pretty hit or miss. there is an online epub converter and i converted some files from pdf to epub and text to epub and it recognized them. right now i'm on the fence about using it vs using the pdf reader, which recognizes everything i throw at it- but doens't have bookmarks.
    06-19-11 09:21 AM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD