Which apps do you want?
    I won't be able to do VLC without creating an entirely new UI. There have been people working on the iOS and Android versions for months and they are still very poor and not worth using.

Here's the bubble kid app (Opensource, Qt): http://qtness.com/Playbook/bubblekid.bar
    thanks i will try that

my x-mas list is rdesktop, accessing my NAS or NFS over NFS or SMB to play my videos, rather than download them, i do this from my laptop and PS3 and would love to do it from my playbook as well
    10-03-11 01:46 PM
    hey i vote for an rdp client and an open vpn client
    Last edited by niazdokrat; 10-07-11 at 12:10 AM.
    10-06-11 03:33 PM
    It will be interesting to have an open voip/video chat app, maybe base it out of XMPP / jingle to use Google Talk on the other end?
    10-06-11 04:32 PM
    Wolfgan: so, peregrine communicator?

I have a Nokia N9 right now (Nokia sent it to me today). I will check out peregrine and see if it's a good idea to port it to Playbook.
    Wolfgan likes this.
    10-06-11 07:50 PM
    Wolfgan: so, peregrine communicator?

I have a Nokia N9 right now (Nokia sent it to me today). I will check out peregrine and see if it's a good idea to port it to Playbook.
    Interesting xsacha, thanks. Didn't know about peregrine at all, very promising.
    Wolf
    10-07-11 06:55 AM
    Also, USB device access, Connectivity trough the usb port with external drives or memory sticks is a capability the OMAP processor that PB has. However this is not software supported yet. To me This is one of the main improvements RIM has to introduce in the next OS updates or maybe someone can write an app with NDK
    10-07-11 10:03 AM
    Unfortunately an app like that cannot be written using the NDK. It needs to be exposed by the kernel/drivers first.
    Last edited by xsacha; 10-07-11 at 12:21 PM.
    10-07-11 12:19 PM
    I vote again for RDESKTOP or equivalent RDP client
    and openvpn too
    10-07-11 10:48 PM
    keepass with v1 support and some way to integrate with dropbox (as I use on my android phone).
    10-08-11 01:08 PM
    I vote for a RDP too.
    10-08-11 11:18 PM
    xsacha, can you post a list of the apps you have ported or investigated? Wonder how many you have gone through already.
    10-10-11 03:37 AM
    Also someone just posted about openttd.

OpenTTD

it has source available and has a unix version as well. Don't know about the windowing system etc.
    Kobol likes this.
    10-10-11 03:42 AM
    This thread became dead so fast lol.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-12-11 02:30 PM
    i would like to see ZynAddSubFX ZynAddSubFX it is a sound synthesizer. i am not sure what libraries are needed. Would be a cool app to see on the pb.
    10-13-11 09:52 PM
    bgolder: From what I can see, it has no dependencies (just Qt for the UI -- and even that's optional).

So will be easy.
    10-14-11 07:37 AM
    bgolder: From what I can see, it has no dependencies (just Qt for the UI -- and even that's optional).

So will be easy.
    How is the QT port coming along these days?
    10-14-11 10:56 AM
    awesome. Does that mean once the qt gui port is complete someone might attempt porting ZynAddSubFX
    10-14-11 09:51 PM
    Inkscape and gimp would be nice; not sure if they were said already.
    10-14-11 10:33 PM
    awesome. Does that mean once the qt gui port is complete someone might attempt porting ZynAddSubFX
    Don't know where you guys got the idea it wasn't ported yet.

Qt has been ported for a while now. The Qt GUI is 100% functional. Just missing some Playbook-specific stuff (like the touch-sensitive bezel) -- which doesn't help port apps at all.

How is the QT port coming along these days?
    Octorian is working on it. Main focus right now is QtMobility.
    I'm busy with work right now.
    When OS 2.0 comes out, I'll add some more stuff and release the apps I have ported.
    10-15-11 02:31 AM
    I wonder if the following can be ported

PdfViewer (app + library) Qt-Apps.org

SMPlayer Qt-Apps.org
    06-22-12 03:52 PM
    xsacha, can you write a dev tutorial on how to use KQOauth Introducing kQOAuth – Easy and Powerful OAuth library for Qt | Comments, Code and Qt. or simpleoauth https://github.com/gregschlom/SimpleOAuth?

This would really help me in making some cool apps.

- Having issue understanding how to call these methods
    - Oauth flow
    - Using BB10 Native editor setting up project that uses oauth
    - Building classes related to api calls which require oauthentication

?
    06-22-12 05:18 PM
    hi,
    general how do i get started questions
    my wishlist will come later but ...

i'm a complete PB-Bberry noob and have entry level *nix knowledge.
    embarrassingly basic
    i'd like to learn how to port as well. at least compile basics for playbook?
    or development environment?

other experience but nothing with major current firepower ...
    mac classic hypercard scripting,
    macosx command line
    mac classic resource editing
    old school basic fortran C
    and even 1st level assembler/machine language
    on 8088 intel and 6502/6510 motorola
    pascal

OPENSOURCE WISH LIST
    CogX player capable of 24bit 96khz playback
    plays high resolution files including FLAC ALAC
    or lossy such as mp3 etc
    my primary want is FLAC.
    has minimal playlist capacity but it's a "lightweight"
    player based on opensource.
    not extravagant. small footprint.
    Cog - Contact

do maps come opensource?

not a concrete request but generally useful for some
    well designed statistical analysis programs
    perhaps opensource code with revamped ui

chem draw programs would be great
    for science students

among the best stats apps i've use with GUI were on the macintosh. very light.
    cricket graph
    statview SE

less concrete and not really opensource ?...
    emulators for "dead systems"
    to access applications that are "dead"
    but were damn good.
    01-13-13 08:48 PM
    My turn for a best-off

RSSOwl: RSS reader far more powerful than almost all *paying* others on PCs and macs (filters, serious database, optional inline viewing, offline option, etc.), while there is just no remote competition on the PB

Although most probably far too complex: LibreOffice ; at least, even a viewer-only for LO/openoffice formats would be definitely precious.
    While most of RIM entreprise users still have microsoft-minded customers, more and more of these are switching to open-source documents where LO turns mandatory

inkscape definitely seconded, or any simpler way to edit .svg (vector graphics are terribly missing on the PB -but I fear inkscape will be big and complex?)

I second kbz1960 for Pidgin -we live today under IM+ monopoly, that's no good

PasswdSafe (rather than Keepass because its ports on other non-PC machines are more mature -but do note that for both of them there are already existing android ports that run efficiently)

As concerns image processing, I saw above an allusion to the Gimp, which again I fear will be big and complex; I'd like to mention there are many very serious open packages like RawTherapy that may be vastly enough (just consider the screenshots: raw format input, image database, contrast curves...nothing remotely like this on PB now) while maybe easier to translate...

FileZilla client? (while its lack of sync function is an issue there seems to be just no really robust FTP client out there)

Following Grahamf: I don't know if Barry could do this, but I concur to the fact any 'backup' alternative to the catastrophic Blackberry Desktop application would be extremely welcome. (I expect, among others, incremental backups...)

Anyway thanks XSacha for this very interesting post (and thread), it seems we should now dig better what in the above is POSIX or OpenGL-compliant, and come back with, er, real proposals instead of dreams
    Thanks again!
    Last edited by Herve5; 01-15-13 at 02:44 AM. Reason: added photo processing like RawTherapy
    01-14-13 04:09 AM
98 ... 234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD