I'm really excited because I was able to order one of the BB 64GB PB at $229 last night on the web site.:-)

Well, before ordering I went into a local store to try out Blackberry Bridge with my new Bold 9930 and I was really impressed with what you could do with a PB WITHOUT WIFI service. As I recall the following seemed to be fully functional without WIFI:

- "syncing" Mail, Calendar, Address Book, Memos and Tasks
    - Bridge web browser
    - AppWorld
    - Bing Maps

What other internet services can you access via bridge?

- IM?
    - weather?
    - stocks?
    - news?
    - rss readers?
    - Tapatalk?

Is there a list somewhere?

Where is Blackberry going with Bridge enabled apps?
    Last edited by boldmiata; 11-21-11 at 08:35 AM. Reason: Meant: "without WiFI" rather "with"
    11-21-11 01:58 AM
    Without wifi, and with the Bridge enabled and working, the Playbook connects to your blackberry smartphone and leeches internet from it, not as tethering. It also "loads", not sync, the Mail, Calendar, Address Book, etc. Notice I said load, meaning if you disconnect your phone/bridge you will NOT be able to access them on your playbook.

All applications worked for ME with bridge internet connection, although it depends on your phone signal reception, 2G, 3G mode.
    Internet Tethering mode is faster with the internet, but requires a data plan on your phone that supports tethering which is usually more expensive. As you can also tether your computer for internet off the phone.

Notably the App World on the Playbook only works with Wifi. Games also require a wifi for multiplayer.
    11-21-11 03:06 AM
    so far the bridge app itself is meant for a sort of "free tethering" (but totally not tethering, lol) which is an excellent feature alone

otherwise, obviously - all the other bridge apps you see like memos, contacts, etc...

i use snagfilms over the bridge connection, and the other apps on the device like weather, youtube, facebook, etc...

i currently use 2.0 beta, so my bridge browser and messages aren't working, and everything else "bridge" related requires a work around through a loopback address saved as a browser favorite - i miss your version of bridge, lol

anyways, bridge is an app in itself, basically a bonus, and i am sure when 2.0 bbx officially launches - it will have more functionality, otherwise - as far as apps - you can only use appworld over wifi to download free or paid apps, so i'm not entirely sure what more you expected from the bridge, sorry
    Last edited by buckwylder; 11-21-11 at 03:29 AM.
    11-21-11 03:07 AM
    Without wifi, and with the Bridge enabled and working, the Playbook connects to your blackberry smartphone and leeches internet from it, not as tethering. It also "loads", not sync, the Mail, Calendar, Address Book, etc. Notice I said load, meaning if you disconnect your phone/bridge you will NOT be able to access them on your playbook.

All applications worked for ME with bridge internet connection, although it depends on your phone signal reception, 2G, 3G mode.
    Internet Tethering mode is faster with the internet, but requires a data plan on your phone that supports tethering which is usually more expensive. As you can also tether your computer for internet off the phone.

Notably the App World on the Playbook only works with Wifi. Games also require a wifi for multiplayer.
    awesome, yes, thanks

i was typing up a similar description, with a list, but this sums it up better

i am lucky, i have unlimited data, so i use tethering a lot, bridge is what i am using now, but typically i am bridged and tethered all the time

peace, good day!
    11-21-11 03:25 AM
    so it is more or less one of the four possible ways to connect the playbook to the internetery, lol:

1) blackberry bridge - everything works except appworld, *and some apps like online games won't work using bridge
    2) wifi - everything works except bridge features (unless bridge is also connected)
    3) internet tethering - everything works except appworld and bridge features (unless bridge is also connected)
    4) mobile hotspot - currently this works brilliantly, just like regular wifi when i want to connect my PB to my friends android "mobile hotspot", it connects to appworld and everything, whereas the only other way of using appworld on the PB is over regular wifi at this time, but this may change - especially with 7.1 which will include the new mobile hotspot for blackberry 7 smartphones (maybe even this month, according to rumor)

anyways, i'm rambling on

peace
    Last edited by buckwylder; 11-21-11 at 03:44 AM.
    11-21-11 03:35 AM
    Sorry. In my initial post I meant to say that I was impressed with what you can do "WITHOUT" WIFI -- but I accidentally typed "with WIFI." This is important for me as we Bold 9930 owners do not have the WIFI hotspot on Verizon.

I also understand how Bridge works with contacts, etc. That is why I felt comfortable connecting to a demo unit at Best Buy via bridge. I actually like the model for things like contacts as it means one less device I need to sync. I'm just hoping that constantly accessing the phone will not kill battery life. In the case of the Bridge Browser I know that that is going to suck juice out of the phone, but I always have access to WIFI at home and work where I spend the vast majority of my time.

1) blackberry bridge - everything works except appworld, *and some apps like online games won't work using bridge
    You say that "everything" works except appworld. I'm assuming that there is an app for Yahoo IM. Does that work over the bridge? What about weather apps, etc.
    11-21-11 08:55 AM
    Unfortunately, there is not a definitive list of what apps work on Bridge and which fully require wifi. As noted Appworld REQUIRES WIFI.

It is only as folks discover what works or does not work and report it that we learn.
    11-21-11 10:32 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD