I seen a thread today about an extension for Chrome to side load the PB in Windows. It worked.

In Mandriva Linux 2010.2 I had to update Chrome but all is well.

Here is the original thread:

http://forums.crackberry.com/showthr...=1#post7378001

The details are basically simple. Make sure your Chrome is new enough and download the extention:

Playbook App Manager

You cannot use the Playbook network ID like you can in Windows. It only works with the PB IP address. I plan to see if that can be fixed. English is so much easier than number and the name will not change. Also, I set my router to assign my PB IP address by MAC address so it does not change.

This made me very happy.
    snejpa and zynks like this.
    05-07-12 12:54 AM
    I also tried this out (debian user here) and was very pleased with the program.
    05-07-12 07:43 AM
    I'm also interested in this chrome extension for linux, since i've lot of problems conecting my playbook with my vista pc. I'll try it later when i arrive at home.
    05-07-12 09:51 AM
    I also tried this out (debian user here) and was very pleased with the program.
    Always been going to Try Debian. Started with RH back in the modem days and I ordered it from cheap bytes I think.

A couple of years ago I took a look at Ubantu and well, I just really like Mandriva I guess, who by the way may go under. I hope not.

Ok, are you able to use the PB net ID or do you have to use IP? I think we may be able to assign an alias or something to make it work. In Windows my friends and I have our PB's named with 3 letters, our first initial and pb. Very short and easy to remember.

I bought a new wireless printer because of space limitations and I can put it anywhere. Just when I think I can totally dump Windows I buy something I just have to have MS for. Sucks. But honestly, I like Win7, just not the viruses, horse power requirements and DRM.

My Logitech C910 webcam and Fuji camera both work but not the printer. I have not had the time to dig into it.

As I said, it was nice to be included and I am very happy it works.

I showed Linux to a friend about 6 years ago and he has ran nothing but since. I also showed him a PB and he got one so he will love this news.

You know how people show up to bash the PB here, it also happens on Linux forums but it is always Windows or Mac users.

I never really see flame wars over a distro, well I do, but that is usually the topic. My point is they are all Linux. Well tabs are all tabs and phones are all phones.

I wonder how long it will be before someone jumps on this thread with Who cares, Linux sux.

Anyway, I'm happy for ya and will keep an eye on this thread in case any fellow Linux users need help.
    05-07-12 10:16 AM
    Always been going to Try Debian. Started with RH back in the modem days and I ordered it from cheap bytes I think.

A couple of years ago I took a look at Ubantu and well, I just really like Mandriva I guess, who by the way may go under. I hope not.

Ok, are you able to use the PB net ID or do you have to use IP? I think we may be able to assign an alias or something to make it work. In Windows my friends and I have our PB's named with 3 letters, our first initial and pb. Very short and easy to remember.

I bought a new wireless printer because of space limitations and I can put it anywhere. Just when I think I can totally dump Windows I buy something I just have to have MS for. Sucks. But honestly, I like Win7, just not the viruses, horse power requirements and DRM.

My Logitech C910 webcam and Fuji camera both work but not the printer. I have not had the time to dig into it.

As I said, it was nice to be included and I am very happy it works.

I showed Linux to a friend about 6 years ago and he has ran nothing but since. I also showed him a PB and he got one so he will love this news.

You know how people show up to bash the PB here, it also happens on Linux forums but it is always Windows or Mac users.

I never really see flame wars over a distro, well I do, but that is usually the topic. My point is they are all Linux. Well tabs are all tabs and phones are all phones.

I wonder how long it will be before someone jumps on this thread with Who cares, Linux sux.

Anyway, I'm happy for ya and will keep an eye on this thread in case any fellow Linux users need help.
    I started with Slackware back in the days of the first beta release kernels, back then it was a challenge with very little hardware support and everything requiring hand configuration. Up until recently, I had been a ubuntu user but moved to debian when ubuntu decided to switch to their horrible unity user interface.

I run all the PC's in my home on Linux and wouldn't have it any other way. I do use Virtualbox for a Windows XP VM on my machine so that I can run the BlackBerry Smartphone development tools though. I'm very happy to see Linux supported as a developer platform for the PlayBook and BB10!
    05-07-12 12:24 PM
    I tried the Playbook App Manager extension on Ubuntu 12.04 and it works great. This is a very useful extension.
    05-07-12 05:31 PM
    Great find, Yankee! Thanks for sharing. I just installed it on my Linux Mint 12 machine and it connected straight away. I've been hoping for this for a while!
    05-07-12 06:47 PM
    Good to see so many Linux users in the berry world, would be nice if we could have a "Linux BlackBerry users" forum.
    05-07-12 07:17 PM
    I recently installed Linux for the first time ever on a clapped out old laptop that I spilt wine on years ago. I went lightweight because the laptop was massively overheating under windows. So much so that the plastic had become deformed in the right hand corner of the keyboard and screen. I went for xubuntu and I have to say it works a dream. After hours of use the laptop is still cold to touch.

I use it more than my higher spec windows 7 laptop now. This is good news.

I couldn't get anything working on regarding app development tho. If it were possible I'd love to turn it into a dedicated programming terminal.
    05-08-12 04:04 AM
    I've been playing with linux for several years but for some reason i never ditched Windows.

Since i have my playbook i've been using less and less my vista box and not because of the problems connecting to the playbook. Because of this problems i find my self using ubuntu more and more. Although i can't find a way for ubuntu to recongnise my playbook via usb it connects by wi-fi perfectly. A thing that my vista can't!
    05-08-12 09:05 AM
    I can't ditch windows, need it for school and I'm sure I'll need it for work.
    Russ, have you tried Linux Mint? I dropped Ubuntu for the same reason and Mint's modifications on Gnome3 make it gorgeous.
    Granted, I might head to Debian myself if Mint keeps pushing their Cinnamon GUI, I'm not so much a fan of that.
    05-09-12 12:52 PM
    I seen a thread today about an extension for Chrome to side load the PB in Windows. It worked.

In Mandriva Linux 2010.2 I had to update Chrome but all is well.

Here is the original thread:

http://forums.crackberry.com/showthr...=1#post7378001

The details are basically simple. Make sure your Chrome is new enough and download the extention:

Playbook App Manager

You cannot use the Playbook network ID like you can in Windows. It only works with the PB IP address. I plan to see if that can be fixed. English is so much easier than number and the name will not change. Also, I set my router to assign my PB IP address by MAC address so it does not change.

This made me very happy.
    I LOVE YOU!!!! waaaaay better than ddpb
    You CAN use your Playbook network ID and it even sideloads wirelessly!

Now if only I knew how to convert APKs using Linux...
    05-09-12 04:43 PM
    It works fine on deb�an.

Better and simple than win app.
    05-10-12 08:07 PM
    Anyone know how to connect a playbook in ubuntu trough usb?
    05-11-12 09:14 AM
    Just a comment on the Linux angle in this thread. I'm a more recent convert to BlackBerry (Bold 9900/PlayBook) but came to BB after years of using Linux, therefore all solutions need to be BB+Linux and not Windows or Mac. So far I haven't had a single problem, but that could be down to the attitude inherent using a *nix based system which is "nothing is impossible" and "the command line is your friend".

I have been using some variant of a *nix based system for about 9 years. I started with Debian SID (i.e. 'unstable') and lived to tell the tale. Eventually I moved to Ubuntu and ditched all versions of Windows about 6 years ago. I couldn't go back now even if I wanted to. The only hitch I've encountered (already been mentioned above) was the fantastic stupidity introduced by the new 'smart phone/touch screen' oriented desktops. Personally I hold the iPhone responsible for this... but anyway, Unity (Ubuntu), and GNOME 3 (other distros) are a disaster... so I fell back to Debian and GNOME 2 for a while, but that was always going to a short term stop-gap. I also tried Xfce which is actually pretty nice in its more recent versions. I even tried KDE and although I've never gotten along with it, I love the polished finish of the Plasma desktop in KDE 5. However, I eventually settled on Mint Linux and use both MATE (a desktop which pursues the philosophy of GNOME 2) and Cinnamon (which forks GNOME 3 making it actually productive rather than an iphone wet dream). Although I use Cinnamon on a daily basis this is simply a preference because MATE is lightening fast and rock solid. After thinking that the follies of desktop developers was going to completely derail Linux altogether I think that the combination of Debian (Ubuntu ex-Unity and Mint) plus MATE, Cinnamon and KDE will actually turn out to drive wider adoption of Linux. Hooray! I'm looking forward to seeing what degree of integration follows with BB10.
    10-23-12 09:32 AM
    Just a comment on the Linux angle in this thread. I'm a more recent convert to BlackBerry (Bold 9900/PlayBook) but came to BB after years of using Linux and therefore all solutions for me need to be BB+Linux and not Windows or Mac. So far I haven't had a single problem, but that could be down to the attitude inherent in using a *nix based system which is "nothing is impossible" and "the command line is your friend".

I have been using some variant of a *nix based system for about 9 years. I started with Debian SID (i.e. 'unstable') and lived to tell the tale. Eventually I moved to Ubuntu and ditched all versions of Windows about 6 years ago. I couldn't go back now even if I wanted to. The only hitch I've encountered (already been mentioned above) was the fantastic stupidity introduced by the new 'smart phone/touch screen' oriented desktops about 18 months ago. Personally I hold the iPhone responsible for this... but anyway, Unity (Ubuntu), and GNOME 3 (other distros) are a disaster... so I fell back to Debian and GNOME 2 for a while, but that was always going to a short term stop-gap. I also tried Xfce which is actually pretty nice in its more recent versions. I even tried KDE and although I've never gotten along with it, I love the polished finish of the Plasma desktop in KDE 5.

However, I eventually settled on Mint Linux and use both MATE (a desktop which pursues the philosophy of GNOME 2) and Cinnamon (which forks GNOME 3 making it actually productive rather than an iphone wet dream). Although I use Cinnamon on a daily basis this is simply a preference because MATE is lightening fast and rock solid. After thinking that the follies of desktop developers was going to completely derail Linux altogether I think that the combination of Debian distros (e.g. Ubuntu ex-Unity, or Mint) plus MATE, Cinnamon and KDE will actually turn out to drive wider adoption of Linux. Hooray! My guess is that the soon to be folly of Windows 8 might also see a raft of converts to Linux.

I'm looking forward to seeing what degree of integration follows with BB10.
    10-23-12 09:38 AM
    I love you guys. Sorry I know this is the Playbook thread but seeing as there are so many Linux/Blackberry users I wanted to say hi!

Anyway...Ubuntu FTW! And the PlayBook Manager is working on 12.04 LTS with Chromium 28.0.1500.71 and Z10 running 10.1.0.4181
    09-27-13 02:45 AM
    Anyone know how to connect a playbook in ubuntu trough usb?
    Which realease are you on? I been using 13.04 for a while now and the method is very simple, but found it hard on 12.10.

for 13.04
    First under the playbook sharing settings change the connect to option to mac and on ubuntu in the unity launcher (I think that's what is called) just type smb:// and the ip address of your playbook.
    *eg smb://192.168.0.0 to look for your ip addres copy the ipv4 under the usb option in the About>Network section in the playbook menu.

If you have a password on the playbook it will ask for the workgroup name and password which can be found under the properties in the sharing menu of the playbook. If you haven't made any changes it will usually be "playbook" and your password.

for earlier releases I found it a little more complicated because the only method I found involved creating a samba share and I'm really new to all of it so I migth just end up confusing you.
    09-28-13 10:49 PM
    I've been using it on linux mint and lmde which is better for me than unbunto mint, no problems sideloading, apart from appear not always work.

Moved to linux in Jan, wouldn't willingly go back to windows.
    10-05-13 12:09 AM
    I've been trying open susu recently not sure if I like it.. But it's probably gnome that's the problem.
    Last edited by troyka; 10-05-13 at 12:15 AM. Reason: Double post
    10-05-13 12:10 AM
    I ditched Windows and now running Ubuntu. I usually sideload apps using Chrome in Windows. How do I sideload apps using Chromium? Can someone give me a step by step guide please? Thanks!

Q10 | SQN100-3 | Manila via CB10 App
    11-06-13 06:52 PM
    It's the same as with windows. Just add the playbook manager extension like you would have done before.

Posted via CB10 on BlackBerry Z10
    11-07-13 04:13 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD