love the app and i wish there was a way to: export it to one file, main menu button bigger, and a way to change the font size please.
    Glad you like the app.

Export to file is coming very soon (may not make it into 1.0.5 release but it will be in the one after that for sure).
    In release 1.0.5 (should be available in App World in couple of weeks) the menu button has been eliminated and you can bring the menu now consistently with the other PlayBook app experience by swiping down from the top bezel. (makes it much faster).
    Also in 1.0.5 the default font size has been increased and added the ability to increase / decrease to suit your needs.

In both 1.03 and 1.04, i have trouble getting the menu button to respond. it only registers a press on the button about 1 out of 20 times. i hope you can fix this, as this is an otherwise excellent app.
    Also, I'd love to see an outline numbering or bullet list option.
    thanks!
    As per above this is resolved in 1.0.5 by using a standard swipe down gesture to open and close the app menu.
    Additional formatting options will be added in subsequent releases. Thanks for the feedback!

I tried it myself but the font is way to small...
    it doesn't work here, I get "null" everywhere
    Its kind of hard to work around the app i ended up deleting it for now until there are more improvements.
    1.0.5 should fix both problems. Please give it a try once it becomes available in AppWorld (in 2 weeks)

Thanks all for the good feedback and please be patient as I get this under control and release some awesome features. (this is my spare time weekend project ;-) Keep the feedback coming and as soon as 1.0.5 is submitted to AppWorld for approval I will post release notes for it - there is quite a bit there.
    04-29-11 06:38 PM
    Nice work, looking forward to 1.05 and further enhancements. People have laid out the obvious issues. Great to see someone working on REAL apps with serious functionality.

Is RIM the 2 week bottle neck for v 1.05 or is this tied to your development?

If anyone from RIM is reading these forums i would hope they are fast tracking approvals for developers like yourself who are creating real software. We don't need any more periodic tables or tip calculators. I was happy to see you got a device, i hope this is the free one from RIM for the app... let us know if RIM is providing helpful developer relations.

For PB to really work they should be supporting you guys to the hilt. Keep up the good work!
    jkruiser likes this.
    05-01-11 09:55 AM
    I'm not sure if the font issue is size or lack of anti-aliasing. The font is no smaller than some I've seen on other apps, but is very jagged and blocky looking, making it difficult to read.
    05-01-11 02:03 PM
    Nice work, looking forward to 1.05 and further enhancements. People have laid out the obvious issues. Great to see someone working on REAL apps with serious functionality.

Is RIM the 2 week bottle neck for v 1.05 or is this tied to your development?

If anyone from RIM is reading these forums i would hope they are fast tracking approvals for developers like yourself who are creating real software. We don't need any more periodic tables or tip calculators. I was happy to see you got a device, i hope this is the free one from RIM for the app... let us know if RIM is providing helpful developer relations.

For PB to really work they should be supporting you guys to the hilt. Keep up the good work!
    Thanks for the good words. The two weeks (roughly 10 days) is how long it takes for application release to be reviewed, tested and processed by RIM from the moment it is submitted through Vendor Portal until when it is available for download in App World (based on my track record so far). I wish it was faster and possibly there are optimizations on RIM's end they can do to speed this up but its not really that unreasonable given they actually test and run application every time new release is submitted (as opposite to Google which does not test - hence tons of junk apps in their Android Marketplace). This reduces (but not neccessarily eliminates) the potential for bogus and malicious applications - when I donwnload app from App World to my device I have certain degree of assurance it will not wipe my phone or steal my data...

The PBI had was not mine and I will need to return it but got news from RIM my free device is on its way (delivery tomorrow) so all is good. There are a lot of things that went wrong with the logistics of the PB launch (in my opinion) but I am glad its all over and now we all focus on making the apps as good as possible - time permitting for me ;-)

Just finished submision of 1.0.5 .. will post detailed release notes soon...
    05-01-11 11:11 PM
    I'm not sure if the font issue is size or lack of anti-aliasing. The font is no smaller than some I've seen on other apps, but is very jagged and blocky looking, making it difficult to read.
    I've been struggling with the font quality and been experimenting with different fonts all along. Version 1.0.4 had particular font which looked really sharp in the simulator but ended up looking very badly on real device. Unfortunately I had to submit 1.0.4 way ahead of the time I got to try it on a real device hence the "messy" situations (there are other things that make the app pretty unusable in 1.0.4). In 1.0.5 which I just submitted for review by RIM the fonts look much better (still not 100% sharp as in other apps I am seeing - I will need to tweak this some more) but at least are more readable and pleasant to the eye. I will keep tuning... Thanks for the feedback.
    05-01-11 11:17 PM
    Version 1.0.5 submitted to AppWorld for acceptance! I am hoping will be approved by RIM sooner than later as version 1.0.4 is near unusable (I am using it for my note taking so I know it works but its very painful).

This is pure "make it somewhat usable" relase and addresses key issues with the app. Backing up the database to file didn't make it and will be in 1.0.6. In the meantime I will try to see if doing backup using Desktop Manager backs up the data and will post here if that works... (I would hate to hear someone lost their notes when PB crashed or they had to reset the hardware)... Here are the release notes.

New functionality added in this release
    - Ability to increase or decrease font size when editing text in the edit screen (currently font size is not saved - will be implemented in future release)

Fixed or changed in this release
    - Fixed font distortions in all screens
    - Application menu is now opened or closed by swiping down from the top bezel, the menu button has been removed
    - Minor performance improvements
    - When adding new item the edit screen for the newly added item is displayed automatically
    - Default type for new notes changed to "Note"
    - The default edit window font size has been increased
    - The Note Title, Project Name, Contact First and Last Name field have been changed to a single line and cannot hold more than 45 characters (new maximum for all single line fields)
    - The multi-line text edit area is now scrollable (there is a bug which does not scroll the text once bottom of the area is reached - to bring text back tap inside the text edit window - will be fixed in future release)
    - Fixed bug where saving text which included ' (single quote) character would fail and data entered in text box would not be saved
    - Projects and Contacts lists are now sorted alphabetically
    - Some "touch" areas are now bigger to increase touch accuracy
    05-01-11 11:22 PM
    Thanks for the good words. The two weeks (roughly 10 days) is how long it takes for application release to be reviewed, tested and processed by RIM from the moment it is submitted through Vendor Portal until when it is available for download in App World (based on my track record so far). I wish it was faster and possibly there are optimizations on RIM's end they can do to speed this up but its not really that unreasonable given they actually test and run application every time new release is submitted (as opposite to Google which does not test - hence tons of junk apps in their Android Marketplace). This reduces (but not neccessarily eliminates) the potential for bogus and malicious applications - when I donwnload app from App World to my device I have certain degree of assurance it will not wipe my phone or steal my data...

The PBI had was not mine and I will need to return it but got news from RIM my free device is on its way (delivery tomorrow) so all is good. There are a lot of things that went wrong with the logistics of the PB launch (in my opinion) but I am glad its all over and now we all focus on making the apps as good as possible - time permitting for me ;-)

Just finished submision of 1.0.5 .. will post detailed release notes soon...
    Thanks for the insight into the process, hopefully they are just soooo busy testing tons of apps that 10 days makes sense. I hope they are fast tracking the real apps and putting the dearth of low end apps on a three week schedule.

Glad they finally are getting a PB in your hands, they should have seeded these out to developers early, although you might have given up if you were looking at .1690
    05-03-11 06:54 AM
    Would be nice to sync notes/documents to something like sugarsync, as a backup. Or even use it to link documents/files from there.
    05-03-11 07:19 AM
    Would be nice to sync notes/documents to something like sugarsync, as a backup. Or even use it to link documents/files from there.
    Thanks for the suggestion - this feature is coming soon but I dont have a date yet ;-)
    05-04-11 12:16 AM
    Rather than tying into a specific cloud service, why not just implement a backup / export to XML file on the PB or phone? Then the user can put it into whatever cloud service or network storage they want to?

There are so many cloud services out there, you could be chasing your tail if you tie into specific ones. It's interesting how many apps (not just PB, but phone apps to) tie into a specific service, alienating potential users who do not use that service.
    screamlordbyron likes this.
    05-04-11 04:53 AM
    Just a quick note version 1.0.5 has been approved and should start appearing live in App World... Release notes here.
    05-05-11 07:20 PM
    Rather than tying into a specific cloud service, why not just implement a backup / export to XML file on the PB or phone? Then the user can put it into whatever cloud service or network storage they want to?

There are so many cloud services out there, you could be chasing your tail if you tie into specific ones. It's interesting how many apps (not just PB, but phone apps to) tie into a specific service, alienating potential users who do not use that service.
    My immediate prioirty is backup of database to a user accessible directory (so that it can be copied out of the device and restored in event device is reset). Then option to export to a text file, email and potentially other services such as DropBox, SugarSync, etc. It will take me some time to get there though ;-)

In the meantime I am interested to find out what you think of 1.0.5 - I think this is first version that app is actually usable...
    05-07-11 12:50 AM
    This app is definitely a cool idea. I'm gonna have to download it.
    05-07-11 10:47 AM
    Been using the app since the first release, love the latest improvements. I am a teacher and am using it for anecdotal notes on my class. I find that the app freezes a lot or will become unresponsive to commands, which is only solved by rebooting the app. This is a bit of an annoyance for obvious reasons. An email function, or the ability to extract the files would be nice, and I hope it is in the vision you have for this app. I love what this app is intended to do, and I check everyday for an update, so keep em rolling out!
    LinkNote likes this.
    05-11-11 05:16 PM
    I like this app and the update fixed my biggest concern, the delete note button very close to the menu button.

I did find an issue in 1.0.5, i created a note and had 4 or 5 lines with line returns. When i saved the note and viewed it the line returns were gone so i had one long string instead of separate line items. I edited the note putting the line returns back where i wanted them, saved, and viewed and all was good. Later I added another line to the note and saved, and it removed all the line returns. Edited, added line returns, saved and all was good again.

Keep up the good work, like the app and hope to replace my notepad to some extent with it.
    05-11-11 07:55 PM
    Been using the app since the first release, love the latest improvements. I am a teacher and am using it for anecdotal notes on my class. I find that the app freezes a lot or will become unresponsive to commands, which is only solved by rebooting the app. This is a bit of an annoyance for obvious reasons. An email function, or the ability to extract the files would be nice, and I hope it is in the vision you have for this app. I love what this app is intended to do, and I check everyday for an update, so keep em rolling out!
    Thank you for your feedback. I am really excited you are finding the application useful. After I had a chance to use the application myself for an extended period of time I discovered number of additional problems, including the one you mentioned with the panels becoming unresponsive and requiring a restart.

I will be reworking the UI experience somewhat (I am finding the animated sliding is somewhat choppy and confusing) and will be replacing with ability to drag list of linked items into the screen with your finger. This will simplify the process of navigating between items as well as make the under the hood logic less complex.

The next release (1.0.6) which is about 80% complete will add functionality to backup database to your Documents folder so it can be copied for off-device backup and restore back to the device. There are few other bug fixes in that release but nothing major.

The release after that (1.1) will include improved ui as well as some other exciting functionality but thats probably a month or so away... I am also thinking 1.1 will be when I start charging for the app... Need to recover all the $ spent on weekend night lattes and pizzas ;-)

Until i have new web site up and running i will be using this thread to advise when new release is submitted for RIM approval and detailed release notes so you dont have to check on the device for new updated daily
    05-11-11 08:40 PM
    love the sound of the fixes! would solve a lot of the issues I have when using. Thanks for the updates.
    05-12-11 10:56 PM
    Version 1.0.6 has been submitted to RIM for approval today. The focus of this release is backup / restore functionality and couple of small fixes. I will let you know as soon as I hear from RIM it is approved. Here are the release notes.

Version 1.0.6

New functionality added in this release
    • Added Configuration menu with ability to create backup of the database to the Documents folder and ability to restore previous backups

• Added Help screens with help content

Fixed or changed in this release
    • On-screen keyboard opens automatically when editing an item
    05-13-11 07:11 PM
    I like this app and the update fixed my biggest concern, the delete note button very close to the menu button.

I did find an issue in 1.0.5, i created a note and had 4 or 5 lines with line returns. When i saved the note and viewed it the line returns were gone so i had one long string instead of separate line items. I edited the note putting the line returns back where i wanted them, saved, and viewed and all was good. Later I added another line to the note and saved, and it removed all the line returns. Edited, added line returns, saved and all was good again.

Keep up the good work, like the app and hope to replace my notepad to some extent with it.
    I experienced this on couple of occasions and made some adjustments but was not able to reproduce consistently therefore fix didnt make it into 1.0.6 as I need to spend more time debugging this. Thanks for your patience!
    JonManu likes this.
    05-13-11 07:13 PM
    finally updated. nice job! love the backup feature. can't wait to see what you do next.
    Last edited by JonManu; 05-25-11 at 05:03 PM. Reason: outdated
    soxfan04 likes this.
    05-23-11 08:36 PM
    Version 1.0.6 has been approved on May 23rd and should be available in AppWorld by now. If you still see 1.0.5 you need to bring up your keyboard and type RST then restart AppWorld (after you see message that service cache has been cleared) and search for "linknote". If you follow this you will see 1.0.6.
    Release notes here. Enjoy.
    05-27-11 07:22 PM
    finally updated. nice job! love the backup feature. can't wait to see what you do next.
    Glad you like it. Next release is still some time away... but I will post here as soon as it is nearing completion and post more information about the changes / features.
    05-27-11 07:25 PM
    anything coming up with this app?
    06-24-11 09:28 PM
    i haven't read through the thread yet. i'm just trying to download the file now. (yay multitasking)

1) is it possible to link to .pdf or audio/video files from within the Linknote app?
    2) is there a desktop software we can sync to? it's a helluva lot easier to type on a computer than a touchscreen... i'd rather have the bulk of my stuff typed up on a computer so i can refer and make small changes on the PB.
    3) any chance of putting password protection on specific projects?

otherwise, great app
    Last edited by belseat; 06-26-11 at 04:13 AM.
    JonManu likes this.
    06-26-11 01:51 AM
    I am still working on an update to resolve all the bugs, but due to some personal constrains its been coming very slow... Just wanted to let you know update is in the works and should be pushed to App World soon...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-11-11 06:59 PM
88 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD