Just wanted to get the word out that my app LinkNote for the PlayBook is now live in the App World (BlackBerry App World - LinkNote) with version 1.0.3 but version 1.0.4 has been submitted for review last night.

In the new version I have redone the UI and fixed number of bugs. You can see the screen shots from the new version here: (LinkNote for BlackBerry PlayBook).

Since I dont have real device to test on (works just fine in the latest simulator and latest beta SDK provided by RIM) I am eager to get some feedback from whoever has early access to real PlayBook to try it and let me know if it runs at all ;-)

The app will be free for some time until I have a chance to fix bugs and add more features.

Thanks!
    Last edited by LinkNote; 05-27-11 at 07:28 PM. Reason: Subject change to reflect content
    04-14-11 04:05 PM
    Just wanted to get the word out that my app LinkNote for the PlayBook is now live in the App World (BlackBerry App World - LinkNote) with version 1.0.3 but version 1.0.4 has been submitted for review last night.

In the new version I have redone the UI and fixed number of bugs. You can see the screen shots from the new version here: (LinkNote for BlackBerry PlayBook).

Since I dont have real device to test on (works just fine in the latest simulator and latest beta SDK provided by RIM) I am eager to get some feedback from whoever has early access to real PlayBook to try it and let me know if it runs at all ;-)

The app will be free for some time until I have a chance to fix bugs and add more features.

Thanks!
    Looks pretty good! I'll be trying it as soon as I get my device.
    04-14-11 04:26 PM
    This is cool. Does it have stylus support, by chance, or is the only input the keyboard?
    04-14-11 04:44 PM
    This is cool. Does it have stylus support, by chance, or is the only input the keyboard?
    Right now only keyboard but this (and more) is coming once I get my dev device (simulator does not distinguish between stylus/mouse/touch as far as I know).
    04-14-11 05:45 PM
    Nice I like this App. Can you try to include support for Dragon Naturally Speaking when that comes out?
    04-14-11 07:58 PM
    Nice I like this App. Can you try to include support for Dragon Naturally Speaking when that comes out?
    Sure I will look into it once it is released and assuming they provide so API to interface with it. Thanks for the suggestion.
    04-15-11 07:16 AM
    Thanks for the info! Is this something like a sticky note that can be on the desktop?
    Last edited by mom21; 04-15-11 at 07:47 AM.
    04-15-11 07:37 AM
    Thanks for the info! Is this something like a sticky note that can be on the desktop?
    No - this is a full blown application which allows you to create and organize notes and then link them to different "items" in the application... Home screen "sticky-note" is something I may consider for future but its not a focus. The intention of this app to have a single place to capture contextual notes and maintain database of related information.
    04-15-11 07:44 PM
    I cannot wait to put this on my playbook. This is what I have been looking for my PB. I saw a friend of mine have a program on there ipad called 2doapp which allowed you to have a to do list project based and I wanted something like this for my PB. Check it out, it might give you some ideas www.2doapp.com

I cover 8 states and travel a lot so this will be heavily used by me. Thank you and I am looking forward to installing this once I get me PB.
    LinkNote likes this.
    04-15-11 08:23 PM
    No - this is a full blown application which allows you to create and organize notes and then link them to different "items" in the application... Home screen "sticky-note" is something I may consider for future but its not a focus. The intention of this app to have a single place to capture contextual notes and maintain database of related information.
    Thanks for the info; looks good. Is this similar or complementary to One Note?
    04-15-11 10:58 PM
    I cannot wait to put this on my playbook. This is what I have been looking for my PB. I saw a friend of mine have a program on there ipad called 2doapp which allowed you to have a to do list project based and I wanted something like this for my PB. Check it out, it might give you some ideas www.2doapp.com

I cover 8 states and travel a lot so this will be heavily used by me. Thank you and I am looking forward to installing this once I get me PB.
    Thanks for promising to give it a try and thanks for the link to 2doapp - I have not seen it before it for sure looks nice. I have still a lot of work to do on the UI side.
    Once you have a chance to try LinkNote on your PB I will be eagerly waiting for your feedback and suggestions how to improve it as it is still work in progress.
    04-16-11 07:50 PM
    will it be able to back up to a flat text file periodically? Just for murphy's law type situations where you want to know that several months of notes are safely backed up (to a PC, or HDD via a PC, say). Thanks.
    04-16-11 09:07 PM
    Thanks for the info; looks good. Is this similar or complementary to One Note?
    While OneNote is great app (I use it constantly on my Windows 7 Tablet for both keyboard text entry, pen handwriting and drawings with pen) it becomes unusable and almost impossible handling structured information with two way linkinng relationship. It is also difficult to "browse" the notebook once you have thousands of pages - in this case your only resort is search. OneNote is organizing notes based on folder hierarchy (notebook has sections cntain folders, folder tabs and tabs hold pages. You can "link" content from one page to another but you can never link back (i.e. you dont know what other pages link to particular page).

The idea with LinkNote is to create an environment where you can capture notes and link to different elements with ability to link back (for example you create a note about meeting you attended and you can link this note to a project (activity) and contacts (people).. when you go to the project you will see all the notes you linked to this project and when you go to a contact entry you will also see all the notes and project this contact was linked to). This was as you are capturing notes and linking to different elements you are creating a database of information. Basic linking between these three elements is possible with current version but there is more advanced linking and lots of more features which will be added in future releases.
    lotuslanderz likes this.
    04-17-11 11:38 PM
    will it be able to back up to a flat text file periodically? Just for murphy's law type situations where you want to know that several months of notes are safely backed up (to a PC, or HDD via a PC, say). Thanks.
    The actual data you enter into LinkNote is stored in an embedded SQL database in the application's private storage directory. So technically (assuming you can get access to this directory) you should be able just to copy the single DB file. The problem is I dont know what applications allowing you to access PlayBook's file system will be bundled with the device (the simulator developers were provided did not have any applications/functionality and I have yet tried to run my application on a real device) and I dont know if it will allow access to application data directory so I dont know it will be possible.

I am still working on a version which allows you to backup the file to a user accessible directory and restore from it and will release in one of the future releases.

For this (and other) reason I still consider the application a sort of "beta" and thats why I made it available for free ;-)
    Hope this answers your question - thanks for asking.
    04-17-11 11:47 PM
    While OneNote is great app (I use it constantly on my Windows 7 Tablet for both keyboard text entry, pen handwriting and drawings with pen) it becomes unusable and almost impossible handling structured information with two way linkinng relationship. It is also difficult to "browse" the notebook once you have thousands of pages - in this case your only resort is search. OneNote is organizing notes based on folder hierarchy (notebook has sections cntain folders, folder tabs and tabs hold pages. You can "link" content from one page to another but you can never link back (i.e. you dont know what other pages link to particular page).

The idea with LinkNote is to create an environment where you can capture notes and link to different elements with ability to link back (for example you create a note about meeting you attended and you can link this note to a project (activity) and contacts (people).. when you go to the project you will see all the notes you linked to this project and when you go to a contact entry you will also see all the notes and project this contact was linked to). This was as you are capturing notes and linking to different elements you are creating a database of information. Basic linking between these three elements is possible with current version but there is more advanced linking and lots of more features which will be added in future releases.
    I can see where this will be useful. I'll give it a try!
    04-18-11 12:36 AM
    i tried to run this program today and i get an error. error code 13 is what pops up. please help as i really want to use your app
    04-19-11 04:15 PM
    i tried to run this program today and i get an error. error code 13 is what pops up. please help as i really want to use your app
    This is really weird, I tried this on my PlayBook today and it installed without any problems. I am not sure what error code 13 means. Are other apps installing fine? Can you try to do w full reboot and try installing again?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-19-11 05:12 PM
    This is really weird, I tried this on my PlayBook today and it installed without any problems. I am not sure what error code 13 means. Are other apps installing fine? Can you try to do w full reboot and try installing again?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    I will delete existing app, reboot my Playbook and then intall again. Once I do this I will update you on what happened. Thanks for the quick response. Looking forward to your app.
    04-19-11 05:48 PM
    OK I reinstalled the app and all is good now. Must have been a hicup. I will play around with it the rest of this week and report back. Looking forward to it
    04-19-11 09:49 PM
    Thank you for reporting back - I was really worried something was wrong. Please do let me know how it goes. I already found bunch of issues which were not there in the simulator but are occuring on the device and I will be fixing them asap.
    04-19-11 09:58 PM
    love the app and i wish there was a way to: export it to one file, main menu button bigger, and a way to change the font size please.
    04-20-11 02:17 PM
    In both 1.03 and 1.04, i have trouble getting the menu button to respond. it only registers a press on the button about 1 out of 20 times. i hope you can fix this, as this is an otherwise excellent app.

Also, I'd love to see an outline numbering or bullet list option.

thanks!
    04-26-11 10:39 PM
    I tried it myself but the font is way to small...
    04-28-11 10:06 AM
    it doesn't work here, I get "null" everywhere
    04-28-11 10:22 AM
    Its kind of hard to work around the app i ended up deleting it for now until there are more improvements.
    04-28-11 12:14 PM
88 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD