I thought about having to continue developing and support a little Twitter app project I've been moonlighting with, but with my current time constraints and the immaturity of the BlackBerry WebWorks platform, I decided to simply release it for free instead. So I give you:

Lemma for the BlackBerry PlayBook

It's available now by searching for "Lemma" on the PlayBook itself, though at the time of this writing it's not in the Newest featured category. The source code is opened up, written in HTML 5 and JavaScript, and I'm more than happy to let someone else take over and throw improvements into the project. Enjoy!
    Wretch 12, highos, HaTaX and 8 others like this.
    08-26-11 08:02 PM
    Giving it a spin right now! Needs to be polished but the basics are there. I'm sure this would be a great base for anyone that has the time and inclination to continue development and refine it! Great job so far!

+1 for giving the code away!
    08-26-11 09:00 PM
    Power to the Open Source community!
    08-27-11 05:13 AM
    it works great!

landscape mode would be nice
    08-27-11 05:46 AM
    Surely you mean portrait mode?
    08-27-11 07:48 PM
    Did anyone else see 'Lemma' and Mathematics came to mind?
    08-27-11 08:49 PM
    Can't wait for this to be developed further - thank you! Following #Irene on Twitter through Lemma now. Some tweets are hilarious in what is an otherwise serious situation!
    08-27-11 11:57 PM
    I've just downloaded it.. it's actually covered all the basic ground and you can even search tweet, # and more
    08-28-11 07:14 AM
    I thought about having to continue developing and support a little Twitter app project I've been moonlighting with, but with my current time constraints and the immaturity of the BlackBerry WebWorks platform, I decided to simply release it for free instead. So I give you:

Lemma for the BlackBerry PlayBook

It's available now by searching for "Lemma" on the PlayBook itself, though at the time of this writing it's not in the Newest featured category. The source code is opened up, written in HTML 5 and JavaScript, and I'm more than happy to let someone else take over and throw improvements into the project. Enjoy!
    Nice free twitter app

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-28-11 11:03 AM
    Nice application!

Cleaner UI than BlackBird. Really wish I can get my money back for that application...
    09-02-11 02:47 PM
    nice app but there are room for improvements. i'll be using this for now. thanks
    09-03-11 11:27 AM
    I dumped Tweedless after playing with this app for a few days. Definitely one of the better twitter apps for the pb just as is. I'm not a power user, so my opinion may not mean much for some.
    09-03-11 09:04 PM
    Needs a lot of improvements, I like open source projects but at the same time I don't like to be an irate customer if I have downloaded something absolutely free, if I paid I have all the right to complain,moan and ***** to the developer.

Out of all the twitter clients I have purchased over the week, I prefer Lemma twitter client, once the improvements come the UI is awesome

I would like to see improvements, when composing a new tweet, for my timeline to show at the same time, and another thing that seriously has to be improved, once I visit someone timeline, I am unable to go back to the main stream timeline, not sure if anyone has actually noticed that bug.
    That's pretty much exactly why it got released for free - it's kept the ******** (and my guilt level) at a minimum.

I've been a Twitter user for a while and have wanted a client that allowed me to fast-page through lists for a long time, so the UI has been well-considered. I imagine there are tiny tweaks that can be made to improve its looks, but that's outside my expertise.

The problem with having more on the Compose Tweet screen is that the keyboard display is so damned enormous and doesn't play well with the app.

You should always be able to return to your home timeline by pressing the "All" button (I considered having it termed "Home", and maybe that change is needed).

I dumped Tweedless after playing with this app for a few days. Definitely one of the better twitter apps for the pb just as is. I'm not a power user, so my opinion may not mean much for some.
    Hey, your opinion matters to me! Let me know if you have any suggestions for improvements; I'll try to gather them up once a week and see what I can implement quickly.
    Last edited by yllus; 09-03-11 at 09:21 PM.
    09-03-11 09:17 PM
    An updated version of Lemma for the BlackBerry PlayBook is now available on BlackBerry App World. The updates improve the responsiveness of the app's scrolling by removing use of the iScroll 3 library and instead using WebWorks' native kinetic scrolling plus custom WebKit scrollbar styling.

This is almost one more step towards a feature I'd love to implement: An auto-refresh mode the app shows you new tweets every X seconds with sleep mode on the PlayBook disabled. My PlayBook sits propped up on my desk in a BlackBerry PlayBook Convertible Case, and I�d like to be able to glance down at it from time to time and watch Twitter scroll by.

Because of the lack of a WebWorks API call that would allow me to disable sleep mode, that�s still out of reach. It sounds like a community developer could step in and write this API extension, so perhaps we�ll see progress soon.
    arielius and loreburne like this.
    09-05-11 08:34 AM
    yllus, just wanted to take a second and add myself to the list of users who like your app and appreciate your work. Thanks!
    09-05-11 09:02 AM
    Once again, an updated version of Lemma for the BlackBerry PlayBook is now available on BlackBerry App World. The primary purpose for this update was to add native retweets to the application (as opposed to seeing �RT @username Tweet� text).

Besides that, in this update a bug that led to some user and search timelines never being displayed was addressed, and I am experimenting with the removal of row highlighting to gauge if scrolling performance is improved as a result. While there may be some marginal gains, I think the visible responsiveness to the user�s touch that is now missing may be cause to return row highlighting in the next release � we�ll see.

All of those updates were actually rolled out with v1.0.4, but a mistake in the config.xml file in the application required a quick update to v1.0.5. It happens.

Lemma is now well over 3000 downloads, due mainly to the spike in visibility the application receives whenever an update is made (thus pushing the app to the Recently Updated featured area).

yllus, just wanted to take a second and add myself to the list of users who like your app and appreciate your work. Thanks!
    Thanks jhimmel.
    09-13-11 08:51 AM
    A small development with Lemma: I've updated to v1.0.10 in order to fix an issue that appeared with my use of the OS 2.0 beta - I was able to drag other off-screen windows into view. Marking off-screen windows as display: none seems to have fixed it.

I'm also happy to report that the input lag/freeze issue that made Lemma rather frustrating to type up tweets with seems to be a thing of the past with OS 2.0. I'm more of a reader than a writer when it comes to Twitter, but surely some will find this helpful.
    11-01-11 08:07 PM
    I've been trying to use Lemma, but I cannot get past the twitter API screen? Any one else have this problem?
    11-01-11 08:22 PM
    I've been trying to use Lemma, but I cannot get past the twitter API screen? Any one else have this problem?
    I've been spending what time I can over the last couple of weeks to refine the authentication method used in Lemma. I've just submitted v1.0.14 of the app to BlackBerry App World which should hopefully put auth issues to bed for a while (read: until Twitter decides yet again to change things without notifying anyone).

If you've still got Lemma installed, give v1.0.14 a shot when you see it pop up as an upgrade.
    11-19-11 05:29 PM
    Thanks Yllus for the continuous support. I noticed also that later builds make the tweets scrolling jerky (while the UI examples for webworks posted at github runs lists more fluidly). Do you foresee any optimization on that front?
    Regards, Wolf
    11-20-11 06:14 AM
    I actually really likes this app. I use it more than Blaq.
    11-20-11 11:16 PM
    Thanks Yllus for the continuous support. I noticed also that later builds make the tweets scrolling jerky (while the UI examples for webworks posted at github runs lists more fluidly). Do you foresee any optimization on that front?
    Regards, Wolf
    Getting a really smooth scroll motion is Lemma's holy grail. I'd love to continue to improve this aspect of the application's performance, but I don't really know where to start - the scrolling is already done by the native WebWorks interface plus a built-in WebKit scrollbar. Got a link I could look at? Maybe I'm doing something wrong.

I actually really likes this app. I use it more than Blaq.
    That's high praise! Thank you.
    11-23-11 08:28 PM
    Getting a really smooth scroll motion is Lemma's holy grail. I'd love to continue to improve this aspect of the application's performance, but I don't really know where to start - the scrolling is already done by the native WebWorks interface plus a built-in WebKit scrollbar. Got a link I could look at? Maybe I'm doing something wrong.
    Yllus, here's the link to the UIexamples webworks app https://github.com/blackberry/WebWor...ter/UIExamples. The performance of the list is really fluid (and it contain images ad text as Lemma does).
    Regards, Wolf
    11-24-11 09:23 PM
    Yllus, here's the link to the UIexamples webworks app https://github.com/blackberry/WebWor...ter/UIExamples. The performance of the list is really fluid (and it contain images ad text as Lemma does).
    Regards, Wolf
    That is some terrific performance. I think I may try using the brand new bbUI.js project plus possibly jquip to do a little rewrite. But it'll probably wait for a few more features to be added to that UI framework (a title bar component, and maybe an action pane component as well). Still, I'm sure we'll see a complete rewrite in the next few months.
    11-26-11 10:08 PM
    I submitted v1.1.0 of Lemma to BlackBerry App World a few days ago - this update contains a full refresh of the UI which will make it faster and more attractive. The update is still waiting for approval, which is odd, but I'm guessing that'll come tomorrow or the day after.

Specific changes:
    • All new interface: New colours, new icons, and far less cluttered.
    • Vastly improved scrolling performance for the timeline.
    • Smoother page transitions.
    • Improved Compose Tweet/Reply With Message interface (far less laggy).
    • Added “View In App” functionality, powered by the Readability v0.4.4 algorithm.
    • A new user tutorial for those new to Lemma and its unique, list-based take on Twitter.

And some screenshots:

Wolfgan likes this.
    12-31-11 11:11 AM
76 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD