Hi all,

I was just wondering if anyone had any insight into why there is a lack of google apps (except for youtube, which could use more work anyways) for the playbook, like Gmail, google maps/Earth, etc. Perhaps I'm being a tad impatient, but I haven't found anything that would indicate that google is developing these apps. I'd really love for someone to prove me wrong.

Thanks.
    07-08-11 12:19 AM
    Google is too busy focusing on Google+ and Android.
    M.Rizk likes this.
    07-08-11 12:22 AM
    ...and "playbook" being another competitor, we probably shouldn't expect an excellent applications in case there will be...
    07-08-11 03:31 AM
    Most of the google made apps on BB were crappy and rarely updated. wouldn't rest too much hope on their development...
    07-08-11 04:14 AM
    the title is just like 'you suck, but it is not an insult...'
    07-08-11 09:53 AM
    the title is just like 'you suck, but it is not an insult...'
    The title was just to make It clear that this is not a rant about not having enough apps. I was just curious about Google's silence on the playbook.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-08-11 12:02 PM
    Google is waiting until they own BB before they spend time developing. :P
    But I think they maybe waiting for the player or ndk before updating for the pb or developing anything worth while. The same excuse all the developers give. Lazy lazy developers. After having the n maps on my tab I would love to have the save function on my pb.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk
    07-08-11 12:18 PM
    uh, google = android = the competition.

To develop google apps for the playbook would be to help the playbook = to help the competition.

The last thing google wants is for QNX to take off and turn what is now a two man race (iOS and Android) into a three man race (iOS, Android, and QNX) ...

more competition may be good for us consumers, but it is bad for their profits margins.

PS. GeeReader is already available. It is a free app that syncs with your google reader account. Pretty cool if you want ANOTHER news feed. I think the PB is doing pretty well with news apps at the moment. F Pulse, News 360 is the sh*t! Gee Reader and the RIM news app are good too.
    07-08-11 11:35 PM
    uh, google = android = the competition.

To develop google apps for the playbook would be to help the playbook = to help the competition..
    Its not quite that simple. Google makes apps for other platforms all the time. they want their services to be ubiquitous. They also make ad revenue regardless of what platform its on.

They are slow to roll out on other platforms though and leave out features
    Last edited by papped; 07-09-11 at 07:45 PM.
    07-09-11 02:37 AM
    ^^true indeed...

but Googles will still protect their "business"... they will not "develop" something that will eventually make them out-of-business... if they will develop or allow their system and applications be used by other OS, it'll surely benefit them... not the other way around...
    07-09-11 04:05 AM
    I have no problem with Google apps on my BB, the Google apps on iOS are webkit based, they suck more than BB's. A native Gtalk app and calendar would be nice, the PB browser already displays Google+ very nicely (in desktop mode). But things will be much better once Android player goes live, then you can use the Android Google apps.
    07-09-11 11:10 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD