Just gave Kobo a shot at our e-reading yesterday. We bought a $1 book to give them a chance on our PB and 9810s. Works fine on the PB, only to find the purchased book missing on the 9810 the next morning. We have to browse to it in the entire library to start reading it again. And there is no way to adjust the font size on the 9810 screen. Sorry Kobo - back to Kindle we go. You had one shot and blew it.
    12-29-11 08:12 AM
    I really tried using it. Since B&N dont make an app, I wanted something I could use on my Nexus. Kobo app just doesnt cut it. Bought a book last week. It only let me read the first two chapters saying it was a sample. Same book was "un supported format" on my Kobo for Android app. went back and forth with tech support(gotta hand it to them, they're quick to reply) but could never make the full book work on my Playbook. So I requested a refund. They offered "Kobo credits". not good enough. Waiting on a full refund now.

Made the switch to Kindle I did with OS 2.0.
    12-29-11 08:51 AM
    So there is a Kindle app for PB OS2? Man, that makes it easy to send Kobo packing. So long, fellas.
    12-29-11 08:57 AM
    So there is a Kindle app for PB OS2? Man, that makes it easy to send Kobo packing. So long, fellas.
    I use the Android version. Works very well. syncs with my phone. Very nice.
    12-29-11 09:17 AM
    We use the Cloud Reader, so we are functional with the PB. A dedicated Kindle app would be nice, but not necessary. Esp if the app doesn't work while bridging.
    12-29-11 09:21 AM
    I've done maybe a half-dozen books on Kobo (they have a bunch of free ones, btw, esp if you're into classics... I'm into Crime and Punishment right now, for instance...)

Some things I like; it's generally been reliable... I like "night mode" where it turns to white print on a black bkg... can read in bed while my wife sleeps. Store works REASONABLY well.

Minuses? Some books have been a little uneven in file quality. Wish there were more "steps" in the font sizes (can't seem to find the right size in between too big and too small). Wish there were a way to "lend" a book for 14 days like you can with Kindle.

I'll admit to a little national chauvinism as well, as Kobo was at least founded as a Canadian company, and Kindle doesn't offer all the US features in Canada.

If Amazon decides to offer a Kindle app, though, I'll seriously consider it.
    12-29-11 09:28 AM
    It was the issues with our 9810 that irritated me. The missing book, no font adjustment, grrr. The PB app is fine, no issues.
    12-29-11 10:00 AM
    i have same issues with kobo, i purchased some books but they didn't show up in my library. i had to find them again to read them. Now i show a few books but not sure which other ones should be there. Many of the books are to expensive as well. With a paper book I can trade and lend books. To bad to as having the playbook is much nicer to read on then my 9780.
    12-29-11 02:32 PM
    i have same issues with kobo, i purchased some books but they didn't show up in my library. i had to find them again to read them. Now i show a few books but not sure which other ones should be there. Many of the books are to expensive as well. With a paper book I can trade and lend books. To bad to as having the playbook is much nicer to read on then my 9780.
    The Kobo prices were higher not long ago, but they seem to be falling in line recently with Kindle prices. I compared 10 titles to Amazon, they were exactly the same.

Kindle reader works great on the 9810, tho. I hate to rub it in.
    12-29-11 04:59 PM
    I read books on the pb, I like using Kobo.

On my 9800 I noticed it won't save where I stop. When I open the book again it starts at the beginning.

Kobo app on pb = very good
    Kobo on 9800 = needs bug fix upgrade
    jcbrunson likes this.
    12-29-11 05:09 PM
    Here is an email i sent to kobo

[link removed]
    Device Type:Blackberry Tablet (BBQ)

Hi i have recently received this playbook for Christmas, which means i'm new to the kobo app. I am struggling to use this app however because it has been nothing but buggy: it will freeze constantly, requiring a app restart, the UI wont appear when tapped, sometimes when changing the brightness only half of the screen reflects the changes, and lastly, sometimes the bookmark will bookmark not the correct page, but either the end of the chapter or the starr of the next. Is there any fixes for these issues, or will there be an update soon? Thanks for reading and hope you can help
    Kobo's Playbook app is really frustrating (not to mention the store freezes with black page as well). Even if these bugs didn't exist, this ereader app has no features at all (Where is the built-in dictionary for example?). As far as the Torch 9810's app goes, it is beyond repair...can't even read on it or find a book on it timely manner. So all in all Kobo gets a thumbs down from me.
    jcbrunson likes this.
    12-31-11 06:40 PM
    One of the best app features of the Playbook. I cannot say enough of how much I enjoy how the Kobo app works seamlessly across all the rest of my devices, and the purchasing experience is second to none.
    01-06-12 05:52 PM
    It won`t let me buy any books. I would love to use it I an get free books but I would like the option to buy them as well....
    01-06-12 06:04 PM
    similar issues, works on phone, only a couple pages on pb.. will also work on computer after downloading adobe reader... but no way to transfer bought books... awaiting another response from Kobo
    01-07-12 08:01 AM
    I haven't had any issues with the Kobo app at all on my PB. I compared book prices to those on Kindle and only found one that was significantly different. The Kobo price for a recent Best Seller was $4 more on Kobo versus Kindle.

I am pleased thus far with the Kobo app on the Playbook.
    01-07-12 09:07 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD