So I just took this quick video of Kobo on the iPad 2, and as you all will notice, the feature set is much more complete that on our PlayBook version... It's really quite disappointing given that Kobo was given the opportunity to be featured as pre-installed on the PlayBook.. Some features missing from the PlayBook version: page curl animation, social sharing, achievements, badges etc.. I really hope Kobo updates our app soon even though I'm a bit distraught that these features were not present at launch given that they are available for the iOS version...

Last edited by dasilvetz; 04-23-11 at 09:13 PM.
    04-23-11 08:40 PM
    So I just took this quick video of Kobo on the iPad 2, and as you all will notice, the feature set is much more complete that on our PlayBook version... It's really quite disappointing given that Kobo was given the opportunity to be featured as pre-installed on the PlayBook.. Some features missing from the PlayBook version: page curl animation, social sharing, achievements, badges etc.. I really hope Kobo updates our app soon even though I'm a bit distraught that these features were not present at launch given that they are available for the iOS version...
    I'm quite liking the PlayBook Kobo version, its everything I need in an e-reader. Then again, I don't see reading as a game so I don't need achievements and badges to try to be the #1 reader in my social network.
    ruiner666 and BBThemes like this.
    04-23-11 09:00 PM
    Most ebook readers are 7" anyways.. Sorry the video is taking a bit long to process.. Should be working now !

04-23-11 09:16 PM

You get an awesome page curl animation when you read a real book. I guess you can tweet about your book, post pics on photobucket, and like it on facebook, so there is that social aspect as well. Achievements eh? You could go to your local library and ask for a 'Frequent Reader' card and proudly display it. Maybe wear it like a badge, idk.

Cheers,
    mike4444 likes this.
    04-23-11 09:42 PM
    Page curling, social aspects, etc are neat I suppose... I just wish that I could read books I already have.
    04-23-11 09:52 PM
    You get an awesome page curl animation when you read a real book. I guess you can tweet about your book, post pics on photobucket, and like it on facebook, so there is that social aspect as well. Achievements eh? You could go to your local library and ask for a 'Frequent Reader' card and proudly display it. Maybe wear it like a badge, idk.

Cheers,
    You miss the point I was trying to make. I agree That these features are not need to have's. What I'm disappointed by is the Kobo devs basically shunning the playbook despite being featured as a launch, pre-installed app. Would have been nice, even expected, to at least have the same feature set, if not even more than the iOS version given its premiere status on the playbook.
    Last edited by dasilvetz; 04-23-11 at 10:01 PM.
    04-23-11 09:58 PM
    So Kobo on the PB is less competitive than that on the iPad. Unfortunately, that is not the benchmark. The really bad news is that it is not competitive with the Kindle reader or iBooks on iOS.

Many like to try and minimize the app advantage of iOS by pretending it is all about numbers. The fact is it is all about quality, inventiveness, and developer passion. All of that leads to greater numbers. Until the BB ecosystem can excite developer passion, you can forget about better, or equal apps. Don't be surprised at the lower quality of apps that were an afterthought in the first place.

Before anyone starts yammering about how developers only care about the potential money they can make on iOS, you should realize that the app revolution on iOS started well before there was an official app store. Apple didn't even want to allow apps. Developers wrote web apps for free.

The repository of those web apps are still around, and have greater numbers and quality than most other competitor's official channels. They found ways to make unofficial apps without hope of payment, just for the love of the platform and passion for the possibilities. They beat Apple's door down until they were let in. That is why there are more and better apps. Good luck trying to port that kind of passion from Android.
    04-23-11 10:02 PM
    You miss the point I was trying to make. I agree That these features are not need to have's. What I'm disappointed by is the Kobo devs basically shunning the playbook despite being featured as a launch, pre-installed app.
    They will add those features soon.

Can I read my books? YES
    Can I purchase books? YES

The rest is bonus.
    04-23-11 10:02 PM
    I am disspointed in the kobo app, i was expecting to be able to flip pages. I don't care about shariing, tweeting or whatever, but the flipping of pages I saw on the ipad many months ago. Yes I can read my books but wanted a better experience. Also where is kindle, that is where most of my books are at.
    04-24-11 02:54 PM
    You miss the point I was trying to make. I agree That these features are not need to have's. What I'm disappointed by is the Kobo devs basically shunning the playbook despite being featured as a launch, pre-installed app. Would have been nice, even expected, to at least have the same feature set, if not even more than the iOS version given its premiere status on the playbook.
    i would have to agree. the Kobo features on other devices including the Pandigital ereader and the iPad should have been standard on Kobo Playbook on release. As the only ereader a strong feature set along with the ability to side load existing epubs was not an unrealistic expectation.

i am confident that an update will occur or a BB ereader similar to iBook will be available shortly.
    paulvr01 likes this.
    04-24-11 05:16 PM
    It appears you can't import epub books into kobe That's what disappoints me. i have books I'd like to read on the Playbook that i am not able to.
    screamlordbyron likes this.
    04-25-11 12:27 PM
    My PlayBook should be getting here today so I haven't tried this yet, but it will be one of my most frequently used apps. With that said, initially when I saw a complaint about a lack of page-curling, I thought that was a bit ridiculous. When I watched the video, though, I will now grant that it does look really cool and I could see it adding to the experience. I do agree with the general point of the thread - I don't really care about those extra features, but if the iPad version has them then it does seem like Kobo should have done better for the PB version.

The other important caveat is the upcoming Native Development Kit. That would give them the interactivity with other apps (making it a SuperApp) that you're looking for. It is also quite possible that Kobo knew this was coming and opted not to invest too much energy now that they would just need to redo later. I know that is the case with my app.
    04-29-11 09:54 AM
    I wonder if that's the norm. I know MLB@Bat for iPad & Android have many more features than the BB version.
    04-29-11 01:29 PM
    one major thing missing from the pb app is the lack of subscription support for newspapers and magazines. i sent them an email today to see if they will be adding this. according to their website on the ipad iphone and several ereaders support this feature.
    05-22-11 10:41 PM
    Well - I got a reply. They had no details on when subscription support would be added to the Playbook app, but they said it was a good idea. No sh-t!! They said they forwarded my request to the developer team. I'm sure it will be a while. Looks like I will be cancelling my NYtimes subscription at Kobo. In addition, I found out that the NYtimes does not allow you to access the subscription services on the website if you have a kobo subscription. They haven't even figured out how to get kindle and nook subscribers access. Apparently they are working on those two first. Go Figure. It may be a while.
    05-23-11 10:04 AM
    When amazon comes with a full featured kindle app for playbook I don't think kobo will even stand a chance. Kobo got like one of the lowest ratings of all apps that came with PB. They missed their chance big time imho.
    05-23-11 10:20 AM
    I'm confused by some of the negative comments. I haven't experienced any issues with the reader. It works well across platforms I've tried (WindowsXP,.Vista, iTouch, BB Tour, and Playbook). The updates sync across each platform. I like the dogear feature and use it regularly. I haven't had a epub requirement yet. Don't care about tweeting. The only feature I miss is the sepia colored pages I'd like to try out.
    05-30-11 09:38 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD