I'm not getting any response from customer service so thought someone here might know what I doing wrong. I purchased a book from kobo, but all that shows up in my library is the preview chapter 1. i can't open any other pages after that.

I can open it my desktop, but it looks like webpages, with a bunch of stuff in the margin, not like a book.

Any ideas
    07-25-11 05:15 PM
    no clue over here man sry ive had nothing wrong with my kobo.
    07-25-11 05:39 PM
    No problems here either - but it looks as if that particular file is corrupted. Their CS need to know this - if and when you can get hold of them!
    07-25-11 06:04 PM
    My only contribution to this thread is to state that Kobo sux. Where is the Kindle app I was promised last November?????
    07-25-11 06:16 PM
    I too have paid for a Kobo download and receive a message that I am reading a preview. I have spoken with three representatives who all confirm that I paid for the book. I re-installed the program several times (under the direction of Kobo staff) and still receive the same error message.
    The book seems to work fine on my PC -- the problem is reading it on my PlayBook. Over the past three weeks I have been told by Kobo that this is a known issue and that it will be dealt with by a senior technician.
    I am still waiting!
    07-25-11 06:42 PM
    The book should automatically download to your Playbook, but if only the preview is showing it sounds like it did not. Go to their website and check your account via the browser interface, and make sure that the book shows up there as purchased, and try to download it to your computer and/or your phone to confirm that you own it.
    07-25-11 08:57 PM
    The book should automatically download to your Playbook, but if only the preview is showing it sounds like it did not. Go to their website and check your account via the browser interface, and make sure that the book shows up there as purchased, and try to download it to your computer and/or your phone to confirm that you own it.
    The OP did mention that it shows up on his computer, but even there, it doesn't look right to him.
    07-25-11 09:55 PM
    I have bought 3 books last week and they all seem to be fine (haven't got past 30 pages if any of them).

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-25-11 10:13 PM
    I too have paid for a Kobo download and receive a message that I am reading a preview. I have spoken with three representatives who all confirm that I paid for the book. I re-installed the program several times (under the direction of Kobo staff) and still receive the same error message.
    The book seems to work fine on my PC -- the problem is reading it on my PlayBook. Over the past three weeks I have been told by Kobo that this is a known issue and that it will be dealt with by a senior technician.
    I am still waiting!
    Well at least they've talked to you, I haven't heard a word from them. This will probably be my 1st and last book I buy from Kobo.
    07-26-11 04:50 AM
    I have had no problems, but today Kobo and the Wall street Journal both announced they are pulling direct buy capability from their Apple apps. Apple relaxed purchase rules (wherein they get 30% !!!) of the cost of a downloaded item through a dedicated app, however now they are again enforcing this 'feature' that makes them richer for those of us who are ebook junkies. Since people can manage their downloads through Safari browser, why should Kobo etc have to add a surcharge or take a loss through their dedicated app? Purchased books etc will apparently not be affected once you buy through a browser on any platform. Now, I don't know if attempting to implement this means that inadvertently your PB Kobo has been affected in gaining full download approval vs just the preview, but I am sure that Kobo will be quick to act in tracking down the problem. As a side note, I know that on the BB version of the app you can choose to offline the book, that is, d/l it completely rather than pull chapters as needed. Thus far I don't know if the PB d/l or pulls, I suspect usually the d/l as I read full books where I had no connectivity at all.

Hoping u get fixed up soon.
    07-26-11 07:52 AM
    My wife has the issue. It seems to happen with books from a particular publisher. She spent an hour on the phone with Kobo and got nowhere. The solution is to download one of the free epub readers, then download the book from the Kobo website to the pb downloads folder. You can import the book into the epub reader and read it in full there.
    07-26-11 05:22 PM
    My wife has the issue. It seems to happen with books from a particular publisher. She spent an hour on the phone with Kobo and got nowhere. The solution is to download one of the free epub readers, then download the book from the Kobo website to the pb downloads folder. You can import the book into the epub reader and read it in full there.
    I'll give that a try, I still haven't heard a word from Kobo. The worst customer service I've ever had from any company.
    07-26-11 09:28 PM
    I'm on my second purchase with Kobo and have had no problems either.
    07-27-11 07:26 AM
    I bought a couple of books from Kobo and had no problem. My third purchase went badly. I can't get more than the free preview to display on the Playbook. I tried deleting it and re-adding it, which didn't solve the problem.

Their customer support finally got back to me after over two weeks of limbo and told me that "there appears to be a problem with this book on the Playbook." (They tell me it works fine on iOS and Andriod tablets or phones, and on the computer.) They offered to refund my money. In the meantime I had downloaded the epub file from Kobo which happened to be available for this book and bought an epub reader app. This works OK but not nearly as well as the Kobo app.

I think customer service will get back to you, but expect to wait at least a couple of weeks.

After this I am incredibly nervous about buying another book from Kobo. I'm thinking it might be time to buy a Kindle, but I was trying to keep it all in one device with the Playbook.
    08-09-11 08:42 PM
    hellolopo:

I can say this for the kindle - it is lighter than any xpad/playbook. Its battery lasts nearly forever and it is easy to read the non-backlit screen. I had my kindle on a car camping trip for more than a week and ran the charge down less than 25%. Of course, at night or low light situations you do need a lighting source.

In a pinch the kindle does have a browser and a friend used his on that same trip to get email and check the web on the 3g version (mine is a wifi only kindle).
    08-09-11 10:16 PM
    My biggest gripe with Kobo is the organization of their store. The categories are pretty limited, and it is awful tough to find what I'm looking for. I have a Nook, so I'm not interested in anything except color content to buy through Kobo. I've searched many times for "enhanced" childeren's books, but can't find anything. Nook Color has many of these, but I've only got the original Nook.
    08-10-11 10:51 AM
    Is there a way to download a book to the playbook so it can be read when wifi is not available?
    08-10-11 11:01 AM
    Is there a way to download a book to the playbook so it can be read when wifi is not available?
    I believe once you purchase (or get a free) a book, it will be on the pb and you can read offline. The issue is that you cannot currently "sideload" a book from your computer for kobo. Sideload - means add it via usb or wifi sharing - it has to be initially downloaded via wifi.
    08-10-11 11:27 AM
    I tried buying a book and it says I need to enter a country. I don't know how else I can select Canada, but it doesn't like it for some reason.
    I've never been so frustrated buying a book before. Probably the last one from kobo (thats IF they let me pay for it)
    08-25-11 06:18 PM
    Called the support line and apparently you should go to the web site instead of buying a book through the app itself. Worked great. Now I know.
    08-26-11 01:36 PM
    I'm having the same issue as epress man. Kobo is requiring that I select a country and I am selecting a country. I don't know how else to elect the United States. Anyboby have any suggestions?
    01-03-12 06:58 PM
    False alarm on my previous post about the website requesting a country. For some weird reson it took the last time I tried it.
    01-03-12 08:15 PM
    I tried buying a book and it says I need to enter a country. I don't know how else I can select Canada, but it doesn't like it for some reason.
    I've never been so frustrated buying a book before. Probably the last one from kobo (thats IF they let me pay for it)
    Called the support line and apparently you should go to the web site instead of buying a book through the app itself. Worked great. Now I know.
    had the same issue, was told the same thing. Buy it on a PC instead.
    01-04-12 06:59 AM
    Well I have 2 books that are currently sitting in limbo atm. Purchased one through the app and 1 through the website. Both are showing preview only.

When I reached out to kobo through the app I got a reply in about 10 minutes telling me to
    - erase the preview from the app.
    -Re-add the book through the website.
    - sign out of the app
    -close the app
    -open back up and sign into the app
    - wait as it re-loads your books it should work

Unfortunately they still show up as preview only

Emailed back again and once again 5-10 min they replied back saying they have removed all of my purchased books and re-added so it should work again.

Still preview only.

The 3rd reply back now says the following

"Thank you for your reply. As the book is a DRM-Free EPUB, we have found that they do not work for Blackberry Playbooks. I will forward your request regarding your book and its copy to our Tier 2 technical support team. They will be in touch with you as soon as possible.

Sincerely,
    The Kobo Team"

I will update when I hear more
    01-18-12 11:46 AM
    youll get offered a kobo credit. They'll do a full refund if you ask.
    01-18-12 05:20 PM
31 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD