If I read on my blackberry or my browser kobo recalls my page. But my kobo app on my playbook seems un-connected to other instances of my "I'm reading" list.

I have found that the only way to refresh the I'm Reading list is to log out of kobo on the Playbook and log back in. I find this slow and annoying...typing on the playbook is slow for me, and I use a random string of symbols, lower case and caps for my password...so it probably takes me a minute or two to type the username/password in.

Anyone know how to force a refresh of the current page? (other than logging out and in)?

Thanks!
    06-07-11 11:17 AM
    I can close my PB app and the bookmark will slide into place and mark my page, alternately I can dog ear my page as well. Every book I purchase or preview shows up in my PB app. Are you saying your's don't?

You can try this:

In Portrait mode in the Kobo app in PB go to the main page (your library)
    Don't touch a book icon, but anywhere on the page pull the page down
    At the top of the PB under the title bar you'll see "Release to update" let go of the page and it should update with all your current books.

Let me know if that solves it or you have a different problem.
    06-07-11 11:31 AM
    That seems like it should have fixed it...I didn't know I could do that. That may make new books show up for me in the library. Prior to your post I was only able to refresh my library by logging out from kobo on the playbook and logging back in...which caused a re-download of every one of my "currently reading" books from the kobo website.

But, when I refresh that way, my saved place in my books (from my blackberry and the kobo website) still do not work. Books open to the first page...or whatever page I was on IN THE PLAYBOOK (not taking into account any other device).

Again, thanks for any help. Man, this kobo stuff is frustrating in comparison with the ease of use of kindle apps...
    06-07-11 01:35 PM
    Hmm.. well I just hopped onto my Kobo account online via my PC and when I clicked on the book I'm currently reading on the PB it opened it up to exactly the page I was on on the PB. If I change the page on my PC the page in my book on the PB changes as well. I tried it with my phone as well and it works just the same. Same page on all three machines.

Are you saying you're not seeing the books on your blackberry and the kobo website even though you're seeing them on the PB? Or are you saying when you had to log out and in of your Kobo account your books aren't book marked to the last page you left them at?

By logging in and out on your PB you do lose your dogears but it will save the last page you were on and it should save it straight across all devices.
    06-07-11 04:18 PM
    The last page I was on does not sync across devices. Ever. If I manually bookmark while reading online at the kobo website then that will appear to be my current page on my blackberry. It does not appear to be my current page on my playbook. The playbook seems disconnected in every way from my kobo account...I can get "my library" to sync if and only if I log out and log back in to kobo...which is annoying because it re-downloads every book. But it does not retrieve my place in books.

I've taken to reading a book on my playbook and not reading that book anywhere else. It's far from the convenience offered by my kindle which syncs across my desktop, ipod touch, blackberry and kindle device.

It really doesn't seem that it should be this difficult to get my place in a book to syncronize across devices...yet here I am.
    06-08-11 08:01 AM
    I spoke with a Kobo CS rep the other day and asked how to get my place/location in a book to sync across devices, specifically from my 9700 to my PlayBook. She stated that since the pages are formatted differently on the devices they were not able to sync. Pages are handled the same way on both a BlackBerry phone and the web site, but not on the PlayBook. She said the developers are aware of this issue and are working on a way to have the PlayBook sync with the other readers.
    rheostaticsfan likes this.
    06-08-11 08:08 AM
    Thanks Rev_jim. I emailed kobo CS and was told that syncing works. It just happens without the user doing anything. And they had no further advice/troubleshooting for me.

Basically they told me that it was working fine, and what was my problem?

I'd definitely buy more kobo books if the syncing worked better. I'd use it on blackberry, ipod touch and playbook. Right now I only have 5 kobo books. I have 40 kindle books.

Now if only amazon would release a kindle app for playbook...
    06-08-11 08:49 AM
    The last page I was on does not sync across devices. Ever. If I manually bookmark while reading online at the kobo website then that will appear to be my current page on my blackberry. It does not appear to be my current page on my playbook. The playbook seems disconnected in every way from my kobo account...I can get "my library" to sync if and only if I log out and log back in to kobo...which is annoying because it re-downloads every book. But it does not retrieve my place in books.

I've taken to reading a book on my playbook and not reading that book anywhere else. It's far from the convenience offered by my kindle which syncs across my desktop, ipod touch, blackberry and kindle device.

It really doesn't seem that it should be this difficult to get my place in a book to syncronize across devices...yet here I am.
    I have exactly the same problem. I read on my PB and the pages dont update on my 9700. My Kindle does this perfectly. Stupid Kobo app. I am really getting tired of waiting for the Kindle app.
    06-08-11 10:08 AM
    Ok that is very, very strange. I'm on the same page across all my platform (Torch, PB, PC). The format might look a little different on each device, but it is the same page.

I would try to pursue this with Kobo some more. They're CS is not too good. I had an issue downloading a book and they still haven't gotten back to me yet. I'm ready to call my Visa and put a block on the payment just to get them to respond.
    06-08-11 10:30 AM
    I can close my PB app and the bookmark will slide into place and mark my page, alternately I can dog ear my page as well. Every book I purchase or preview shows up in my PB app. Are you saying your's don't?

You can try this:

In Portrait mode in the Kobo app in PB go to the main page (your library)
    Don't touch a book icon, but anywhere on the page pull the page down
    At the top of the PB under the title bar you'll see "Release to update" let go of the page and it should update with all your current books.

Let me know if that solves it or you have a different problem.
    I'm using the PB KOBO app for the firs time. Your instructions don't work for me. When I go to Library, there is a box with a message "Your Library is Currently Empty!" with a 'Refresh" and a "visit KOBO Store' button. I cannot touch anywhere else on the screen to do the "release to update" thing. I have not been able to access books in my library at all, although I can see everything on a PC browser.
    11-19-11 05:59 PM
    I can't figure out how to bring books from my online Kobo library to my playbook device library. i can get online, but what I have on my device is not online and what I have online is not on my device. I am going on a cruise and do not want to have to rely on wifi to read, but want some books from my library loaded on my playbook.
    01-14-12 04:32 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD