Has anyone figure out a way to put epubs into where Kobo stores it's books?

I have purchased 3 ebook readers and while they all nice, I have to admit that the Kobo works a bit better for me.

I ability to control how bright or dark the e-reader is without affecting the rest of the PB

switching pages is also smoother

also loads a bit faster
    07-28-11 02:34 PM
    I've been looking all over for a way to bring in epubs. I have a bunch from Overdrive Media Console on my Torch and I'd love to get them into Kobo. If you find a solution be sure to post it. A lot of people are looking for a way to do this.
    07-28-11 02:41 PM
    At this time, there is no way to load ePubs into the Kobo app. Hopefully RIM opens up this functionality. Until then, the handful of ereaders in App World will have to do.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-28-11 02:51 PM
    I don't think I've yet found a free e-Reader app that will allow me to read the books I already have.
    07-28-11 03:03 PM
    I've been using PlayEpub since it came out without too many issues. I initially purchased EPUB Reader, but at the time it was a scroll read (however it's been updated to page turning). For the $2 total I spent to acquire them, I have no complaints.
    07-28-11 03:23 PM
    yeah I have epub reader, Book reader, and Svit E-reader. The best one so far for me is Svit E-Reader. It doesn't do all epubs correctly & takes a bit longer to load but it has good margins and a good layout. But i hate having to constantly change the brightness back and forth.
    07-28-11 03:29 PM
    I have Epub Reader, Play Epub, Book reader and obviously Kobo, here are my thoughts on them:

EPUB Reader: This one is my favourite and the one i use the most, it displays the books nicely with correct spacings and margins, suports sideloading of books in Epub format, has 4 selectable themes (E-paper, Sepia, Dark and Light), adjustable font size, Scrolling and tap to turn modes, Jump to function, book marks and remembers the last page you were reading, its cons are that it doesnt have a page number or percentage indicator, you can only import your books one at a time, it crashes when going landscape to portrait (and viceversa), scrolling your book library gets kinda choppy when you have a lot of books.

Overall: 8/10

Play Epub: Decent reader with a lot of features like: tap to turn the page, light and dark modes, font size and brightness adjustment, in built translator, import directly from email (havent tried that though), book percentage indicator and a scrolling bar at the bottom; unfortunately the way it displays the books is horrible, there are literally no spacings or margins so it opens the books like a huge wall of text, that makes it unusable for me, i just cant read like that, it also dsplays an ugly gray header at the top that its just to distracting for me to ignore.

Overall: 5/10 ; the 5 points are for the constant updates and features, but in usabillity the app is a 0/10 for me.

Book Reader: Oh boy where do i start... It has decent features like page number indicator, scrolling bar at the bottom, page turning animation, selectable font type, the library also looks nice with a sort by name, author and search function, BUT it has this weird horizontal text scrolling if you try to turn the page on anything but the margin, this completely makes the app unusable for me, also while it does have lots of font types it only has two different font sizes: small and large, wich it doesnt matter anyway because both are two small for comfortable reading, also while it does have decent margins the spaces between paragaphs are non existent giving your books the huge wall of text look, also its the only app of the four that doesnt have bezel swipe functionality, and the header at the top of the book is also horrible.

Overall: 3/10

Kobo: the nicest reader of the four here mentioned, reading books is a pleasure in Kobo and its also free, but unfortunately it doesnt support sideloading books, so if you dont mind getting all of your books through the Kobo store, just stick with the Kobo reader, otherwise EPUB reader is the best option.

Overall: 9/10; only if you dont care about sideloading books.

I havent tried Svit E-reader yet so i'll appreciate any sort of feedback on the app.
    07-28-11 06:16 PM
    Aaarrghhh! Sorry, I am really frustrated! One of the main reasons to purchase my playbook is to read ebooks (as a colour-capable replacement for my sony prs-700). I have a good collection of epubs, txt and pdf's, and so far I have been unable to read them properly, if at all. The built-in pdf reader is incredibly shallow as far as functionality goes, and the Kobo reader is a complete joke as far as format support and side-loading are concerned.

WHY OH WHY am I to pay extra for something that works without a problem (and free) on most other devices/platforms? Where is Kindle? Where is a default app to just read stuff you load on your Playbook? Why are there hardly any alternatives on App World, let alone free quality ones?

And why can't I directly open downloaded html files (in a simple GUI intuitive way, not file: ).

I feel like I'm thrown back into the stone age. RIM advertised this thing as a media-friendly device, but it seems 'media' translates into 'video and flash'.

Ah well, I'll just go back to reading on my three year old Sony reader... Sigh. Apologies for the rant - this is an expensive device, and it's 'slightly' frustrating to hit all these limitations. I just want a quality reading experience.
    08-08-11 02:44 AM
    Moved to Apps & Games
    08-08-11 08:37 AM
    Pictures won't display on a Kobo book I just downloaded, I just get a blue box with a question mark. I want my Kindle please!
    08-08-11 02:05 PM
    Aaarrghhh! Sorry, I am really frustrated! One of the main reasons to purchase my playbook is to read ebooks (as a colour-capable replacement for my sony prs-700). I have a good collection of epubs, txt and pdf's, and so far I have been unable to read them properly, if at all. The built-in pdf reader is incredibly shallow as far as functionality goes, and the Kobo reader is a complete joke as far as format support and side-loading are concerned.

WHY OH WHY am I to pay extra for something that works without a problem (and free) on most other devices/platforms? Where is Kindle? Where is a default app to just read stuff you load on your Playbook? Why are there hardly any alternatives on App World, let alone free quality ones?

And why can't I directly open downloaded html files (in a simple GUI intuitive way, not file: ).

I feel like I'm thrown back into the stone age. RIM advertised this thing as a media-friendly device, but it seems 'media' translates into 'video and flash'.

Ah well, I'll just go back to reading on my three year old Sony reader... Sigh. Apologies for the rant - this is an expensive device, and it's 'slightly' frustrating to hit all these limitations. I just want a quality reading experience.
    I know the feeling... that's why, no matter how good the playbook is, I can't still let go my Galaxy Tab...

if only...
    08-08-11 02:50 PM
    Herbert:

While I understand you don't like the html file: solution, it is not bad if you actually create an html file that has links to your other html files. Open that one, then click on a link. Of course, you need to keep this INDEX html file updated.

You can also purchase one of the file managers and some of them can open html files in the browser.
    08-08-11 11:50 PM
    Thanks F2 for the tip.

I have decided to return the Playbook this morning (I only had it a couple of days - hence my first message on this board), and this afternoon I bought a ep121 eee Slate. More expensive, but at least I can download and install anything I like for free - including excellent reader software (it's windows 7 based, and with the built-in wacom tablet/pen it runs very well so far).

Not exactly the same experience, but since I am already used to a tablet at work/home, it actually works much better for me - I prefer this over the imprecise finger "touch".

I really liked QNX, though. But I did make the purchase based on the want for a better e-reader device; my bad, I should have done better research.

Cheers from an (admittedly short-span) ex-playbook owner.
    Last edited by Herbert123; 08-09-11 at 12:54 AM.
    08-09-11 12:34 AM
    I realize this thread is a week or so old but I have a question....

Is Kobo a good app if you are new to ereading? I do not currently own any electronic books but considered this as a plus to buying the playbook. I have to travel a good bit for work and would like to have something along these lines for reading books or watching videos
    08-14-11 08:36 PM
    I think it's a nice reader but it doesn't allow you to add in your own ebooks. So if you want to read any books you'll have to buy them through kobo/borders.
    08-14-11 08:54 PM
    I realize this thread is a week or so old but I have a question....

Is Kobo a good app if you are new to ereading? I do not currently own any electronic books but considered this as a plus to buying the playbook. I have to travel a good bit for work and would like to have something along these lines for reading books or watching videos
    Also the Kindle cloud reader was made available this past week and it's not bad. I even have a real Kindle to compare both the Kobo and the Amazon cloud reader with and I like them all.
    Last edited by blackmoe; 08-15-11 at 05:28 PM.
    08-14-11 09:00 PM
    I think it's a nice reader but it doesn't allow you to add in your own ebooks. So if you want to read any books you'll have to buy them through kobo/borders.
    That would work for me since I do not currently own any ebooks. I have been waiting until I make the tablet plunge before getting heavily into ebooks.

So with Kobo, you actually download to your tablet/pc and can read them offline?
    08-15-11 05:17 PM
    I have been using Play Epub in combination with calibre with 100% success. Im reading more than ever.
    AZK9lover likes this.
    08-15-11 07:49 PM
    Hi,
    I'm the Book Reader developer and I'd like to mention that as of now almost all issues mentioned here have been resolved. Reader has a choice of skins: Light, Dark, Sepia and Custom where you could set any color you want. Top bezel swipe hides the ActioBar on top. Font sizes are completely customizable. New release next week will bring configurable paragraph spacing and performance improvements for page turning gestures (wide tapping margins and faster page turning animation).
    It is also the only reader that could open both DRM-free EPUBs and Kindle books without converting in Calibre.

Please don't hesitate to let me know what else Book Reader is missing or what it could improve.

Regards,
    Igor

I have Epub Reader, Play Epub, Book reader and obviously Kobo, here are my thoughts on them:

Book Reader: Oh boy where do i start... It has decent features like page number indicator, scrolling bar at the bottom, page turning animation, selectable font type, the library also looks nice with a sort by name, author and search function, BUT it has this weird horizontal text scrolling if you try to turn the page on anything but the margin, this completely makes the app unusable for me, also while it does have lots of font types it only has two different font sizes: small and large, wich it doesnt matter anyway because both are two small for comfortable reading, also while it does have decent margins the spaces between paragaphs are non existent giving your books the huge wall of text look, also its the only app of the four that doesnt have bezel swipe functionality, and the header at the top of the book is also horrible.

Overall: 3/10

I havent tried Svit E-reader yet so i'll appreciate any sort of feedback on the app.
    08-21-11 12:33 AM
    Hi,
    It is also the only reader that could open both DRM-free EPUBs and Kindle books without converting in Calibre.

Please don't hesitate to let me know what else Book Reader is missing or what it could improve.

Regards,
    Igor
    If one has pinned Kindle books to the Playbook using the Kindle cloud reader can the Book Reader find them wherever they may be stored?
    08-21-11 01:57 AM
    If one has pinned Kindle books to the Playbook using the Kindle cloud reader can the Book Reader find them wherever they may be stored?
    Not sure. It should be stored somewhere in browser's private folder and PlayBook's permission system protect access to such folder from other applications. I'll take a look, but I'm afraid it will not work.
    Regards.
    08-21-11 09:15 AM
    I just don't understand why the KOBO reader is maybe the best on iPad2, chock full of great features and we have a shadow of what the iPad reader does.

Isn't KOBO a Canadian company. it's really sad.
    I guess we can pray for an update, as with so many other apps. I like the Kobo reader okay, but it could certainly be better. I'm having a lot of trouble keeping my place [despite dogears] and getting back to it after shutting my PB down. I also don't like not having a total page count.
    08-21-11 07:16 PM
    I guess we can pray for an update, as with so many other apps. I like the Kobo reader okay, but it could certainly be better. I'm having a lot of trouble keeping my place [despite dogears] and getting back to it after shutting my PB down. I also don't like not having a total page count.
    Display total page count is tricky because EPUB may and most probably will contain multiple files (chapters). In order to count them all you would need to open them all and load in memory (slooow). Any font or orientation change and you would need to recount all pages again...
    08-22-11 08:27 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD