Today Kobo announced the next generation of their eReader, and with it came a great story on the Financial Post with many revealing statements indicating Kobos future plans.

The most interesting statement to me was:

Mr. Serbinis said a version of Reading Life for Research In Motion Ltd.s new BlackBerry PlayBook will likely be ready later this summer.

Kobos Reading Life, a system they introduced in their iPad and Android apps to reward heavy readers with virtual awards will expand to include offers from third-parties, which will include real rewards like free coffees. This is an interesting new business model, adding a third revenue stream to their current book sales and data analytics sales models.
    05-23-11 12:39 PM
    Who needs Kindle anyway? I think I'm ready to move on; I'm enjoying my Kobo book that I purchasaed. Then again, though, I didn't have any Kindle books.
    05-23-11 02:44 PM
    i personally like Kobo as well, i like that i was able to read the first few chapters of Dont blibk, and I'm currently reading a classic, Mark Twain's The Adventures Of Tom Sawyer
    05-23-11 02:47 PM
    i like kobo but its missing some books i want to read like alas, babylon. but its not bad.
    05-23-11 02:58 PM
    What really drives me bats about Kobo is the synopsis on the PB. You gets a few sentences of market-speak, then the synopsis starts getting into the meat (like, is this part of a series or what? But it doesn't get that far. It's out of space) then you get the ellipsis "..."

This implies there is more. There isn't. The rest of the synopsis is truncated.

The Kindle does a great job of presenting all the info. I don't care about page flipping and curls and stuff. It's not a physical book and I don't care if it tried to make me think it is. I just want to read, and I want to know what I'm buying.

Until that's fixed, forget it.
    05-23-11 05:43 PM
    I am very new at the whole e-book thing. So far I like Kobo but its the only one ive tried. I havent bought a book yet, just experimenting with the free ones for now. Thinking I should wait for Kindle & maybe some other book readers to try before I start buying books, just prefer to use the same reader. How does the Kobo compare to other book readers you guys have used?
    05-24-11 11:10 PM
    I really like KOBO and I can't compare it to Kindle or Nook in Canada since neither one of those ereaders are available and I can't download ebooks onto my computer from B&N or Amazon anyhow because I don't have a US billing address.

I found that the Canadian KOBO store actually has cheaper books then the US Kobo. I've only so far found one book that I can't get in Canada but could've gotten in the US.

I've got 12 books downloaded, read through 8 of them and love the fact that I can read it anywhere. It book marks my page and I can dogear the corner as well. I think in Kindle and Nook it might be called something different...

Since I don't read technical manuals I don't miss notation and highlighting stuff etc.

I'm looking forward to Kobo getting better just as my PB will.
    gordongr likes this.
    05-25-11 12:47 AM
    Snick Snack thanks, ill probably just stick with Kobo also.
    05-25-11 06:02 PM
    i have a kobo and will get the new kobo touch when it comes out..bb is fine for lite reading waiting for wife or at a doctors office ..but for extended reading i find epaper easier on the eyes
    05-25-11 08:24 PM
    i have a kobo and will get the new kobo touch when it comes out..bb is fine for lite reading waiting for wife or at a doctors office ..but for extended reading i find epaper easier on the eyes
    That's true. I found it easier to switch it to night mode reading if I'm reading for longer then an hour. It's easier on the eyes.
    05-25-11 10:59 PM
    i would have forgot my pb if not for kobo. it buys some time while waiting on update
    05-26-11 05:18 AM
    I ran across a problem with the Kobo site, send them a email to check but couldnt find any egift cards. Looked like they only offered during holidays maybe and fathers day doesnt seem to fit lol. Was hoping to add that to my fathers day list for the wifey.

*I send a email off to Kobo on eGift cards and they told me how to find. You have to first click on a book cover before you see a link for them. *
    Last edited by jjjahn; 05-27-11 at 09:51 AM. Reason: update
    05-26-11 04:33 PM
    Kobo should allow downloading of ebooks directly to the BlackBerry PlayBook and ADE books should be readable on the device. But alas, once again Research In Motion has not held its "partners" feet to the fire insisting they produce "professional grade" applications rather than Mickey Mouse demo-like applications. Research In Motion, Kobo, and Adobe should be taken to task and forced to be accountable to we the early adopters and promoters of the BlackBerry PlayBook.
    05-26-11 08:54 PM
    The KOBO that came with the PB is a great app
    1) you can't add a Kobo book that you previously purchased
    2) you can't add a PDF converted to ePub
    3) you can't add any of the ePub Project Gutenberg - free ebooks ePub files
    4) you have a terrible selection of free books available from the Kobo PB store
    5) you can't get timely Kobo tech support
    6) you can't remove the Kobo app from your PB without it showing up again n again.
    Geeeeee .. great stuff!
    How much is RIM getting paid by Kobo?? RIM took our money and ran without insisting Kobo clean up their act.

When is the promised Kindle reader coming???
    Last edited by mandony; 05-26-11 at 09:02 PM.
    05-26-11 08:58 PM
    The KOBO that came with the PB is a great app
    1) you can't add a Kobo book that you previously purchased
    2) you can't add a PDF converted to ePub
    3) you can't add any of the ePub Project Gutenberg - free ebooks ePub files
    4) you have a terrible selection of free books available from the Kobo PB store
    5) you can't get timely Kobo tech support
    6) you can't remove the Kobo app from your PB without it showing up again n again.
    Geeeeee .. great stuff!
    How much is RIM getting paid by Kobo?? RIM took our money and ran without insisting Kobo clean up their act.

When is the promised Kindle reader coming???
    1. and 2. is a known issue with current edition, but may change when Kobo releases the new touch edition. Maybe some more complaining directly to Kobo would speed things along.
    3. Is that in Google? I know the title but can't remember if it's a google software or not? But there was some kind of Gee Reader mentioned in the PB Apps forum... might work with what you want.
    4. Can't really expect best sellers for free books! Although one of my favorite author had a nouvella in e-format only that was available for free. Sometimes you have to look around...
    5. I got Kobo response back in 24 hours for an issue I was having and they were very good about it. Just got to be persistent. I found I had to explain my issue twice and then they offered a couple of solutions.
    6. I think the Kobo apps is permanently written into the os. I tried that with another app and it kept reloading itself so now I just ignore it. Rather annoying for sure.

I don't have any e-books prior to the PB and was on the fence about buying an ereader but waitied it out because I knew I was going to get the PB. So for me I don't have any issues because I'm starting fresh.
    05-27-11 12:49 AM
    I really like KOBO and I can't compare it to Kindle or Nook in Canada since neither one of those ereaders are available and I can't download ebooks onto my computer from B&N or Amazon anyhow because I don't have a US billing address.
    Just to be clear, though, I bought a Kindle and it was shipped directly to my house (in Canada) by Amazon. And you can indeed buy Amazon books from Canada, with a Canadian address listed in your Amazon account. Sometimes the selection is different, but it does work. You can even do this without an actual Kindle ereader, having free and bought Amazon books sent directly to your iPod app or BB app.
    05-27-11 04:02 PM
    Just to be clear, though, I bought a Kindle and it was shipped directly to my house (in Canada) by Amazon. And you can indeed buy Amazon books from Canada, with a Canadian address listed in your Amazon account. Sometimes the selection is different, but it does work. You can even do this without an actual Kindle ereader, having free and bought Amazon books sent directly to your iPod app or BB app.
    Yeah you mentioned it on another post, so thanks for the info. Someone also mentioned that I can buy books on Amazon with a Canadian address because it'll download to my desktop and then I can sync it. But I'm lazy and I don't always sync my PB. All my books I've just purchased online on my PB and can start reading immediately without having to sync. I like the immediate satisfaction to that. I want my book in my device right away without having to sync it. I buy my books wherever and whenever.

I just wonder if the Kindle app will allow me to do that? Buy books on the fly... I guess I'll have to wait and see.
    05-27-11 04:10 PM
    I dug this old post up, as we are now in 2012, there is still no reading life on the PlayBook, I wrote to Kobo this was their reply:

Response Via Email (Joseph, Aldine) 03/03/2012 07:58 PM
    Hi Aniya,

Thank you for contacting Kobo Customer Care. We will be happy to assist you with your issue. We will put in that request for you, however we are unable to give you an exact date when this will be available for your device.

Sorry for any inconvenience cause.

Hope this help. Should you have any more questions or concerns please do not hesitate to contact Kobo Customer Care.

Sincerely,
    The usual then...and this is a preloaded app, you would think RIM/Kobo could do a little better
    03-04-12 02:26 AM
    whatever you do, do not contact customer care! We have thousands of messages on our blog about the trials and tribulations in dealing with tech support higher then level 1 and csr level 1 +
    03-04-12 02:49 AM
    Kobo was purchased by a Japanese company a few months ago. That probably delayed development of a new Kobo playbook reader.
    03-04-12 08:54 AM
    Who needs Kindle anyway? I think I'm ready to move on; I'm enjoying my Kobo book that I purchasaed. Then again, though, I didn't have any Kindle books.
    Well, I'd like Kindle.

Either way I certainly welcome this news about Kobo but ultimately I always feel that choice is paramount. I want you to use Kobo is that's what you want, and I should be able to use Kindle too. Or both!

I don't think being stuck with one thing is good at all.
    03-04-12 09:09 AM
    whatever you do, do not contact customer care! We have thousands of messages on our blog about the trials and tribulations in dealing with tech support higher then level 1 and csr level 1 +
    I did contact them though lol not that it got me anywhere :roll eyes: the thing is this is the default book reader on the PlayBook for crying out loud, at least give us an updated version. Why the heck did RIM do a deal with them I ask myself. I have no problems at all with the app, but would like an update to be on par with the other OS's, too much to ask?
    03-15-12 07:56 AM
    Get Book Reader from the AppStore for $0.99... Its a lot better than Kobo.. it imports books easy and works great. Kobo like kindle is to proprietairy...
    Get any ebook from anywhere, convert it to epub with the free app ''Caliber'' on your PC and copy the book to books on your PB... real easy and get ebooks from anywhere.
    03-15-12 08:40 AM
    Get Book Reader from the AppStore for $0.99... Its a lot better than Kobo.. it imports books easy and works great. Kobo like kindle is to proprietairy...
    Get any ebook from anywhere, convert it to epub with the free app ''Caliber'' on your PC and copy the book to books on your PB... real easy and get ebooks from anywhere.
    Have that too, but like something prettier to look at lol and want the social integration other platforms have (I have it on my Galaxy Note cough cough) but I want the same treatment on my PB, I am not 2nd division
    03-15-12 09:41 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD