06-11-11 12:53 PM
84 ... 234
tools
    its getting a little rediculous
    06-10-11 08:22 PM
    Kobo only needs to be connected to the internet the first time you open it. Mine has worked flawlessly, but I've only downloaded 3 books. I'm still looking forward to Kindle, but Kobo has been good for me so far. I want to use them both and then decide which one I'll settle on, although I like that Kindle has newspaper subscriptions.
    just to confirm - Kobo does not need to be online to read a book that you've bought and downloaded. I read regularly with my wifi turned off to extend my battery life.
    06-10-11 10:27 PM
    I think what disheartens me more than anything is RIM's absolute silence on this reader issue. iPad launched with iBooks and Nook and Kindle were available in their app store within 2 weeks. At the time, I thought Steve Jobs might try and freeze his book competitors out, but he is letting everyone play.

RIM must be doing a HORRIBLE job pitching its app dev to major players. It's like RIM does not give a rats a** about what is loyal users think and feel. Sucks!!
    Folks need to remember that the native development kit for the Playbook has not yet shipped, it is still in beta. Most of the hard-core apps people want are best built using the NDK, so it shouldn't be a surprise that these apps are not yet available. Patience....
    06-10-11 10:34 PM
    Folks need to remember that the native development kit for the Playbook has not yet shipped, it is still in beta. Most of the hard-core apps people want are best built using the NDK, so it shouldn't be a surprise that these apps are not yet available. Patience....
    And you need to remember that 99% of the people in these forums don't know the difference between Adobe Air, WebWorks, or what the NDK is. Not only do they not even want to know the difference, they refuse to accept the implications of the currently limited development options.

They also seem to think a developer is a mythical creature that holds a magic hat that pops out apps if the right spell is cast. Casting that spell requires frog's breath, eye of newt, and the collected CrackBerry forum rantings about what's missing on App World.

Coming back to reality... RIM decided to cater to web and Flash developers first. As such, most of what you see currently on the PlayBook are app-ified web content, useless Flash trinkets, and some Flash games. I'm sorry, but most of the apps people actually want on the PlayBook are not currently written in Flash or as web content. The existing versions of these apps are either C/C++ or some flavor of Java. These apps also took a lot of time and effort to develop, and can't simply be rewritten from scratch with development environments that require a completely different approach to development. I'll bet most of the developers of these apps are waiting for better development options before even considering porting.
    Mojoski, mmcpher and robdarling like this.
    06-10-11 11:52 PM
    And you need to remember that 99% of the people in these forums don't know the difference between Adobe Air, WebWorks, or what the NDK is. Not only do they not even want to know the difference, they refuse to accept the implications of the currently limited development options.

They also seem to think a developer is a mythical creature that holds a magic hat that pops out apps if the right spell is cast. Casting that spell requires frog's breath, eye of newt, and the collected CrackBerry forum rantings about what's missing on App World.

Coming back to reality... RIM decided to cater to web and Flash developers first. As such, most of what you see currently on the PlayBook are app-ified web content, useless Flash trinkets, and some Flash games. I'm sorry, but most of the apps people actually want on the PlayBook are not currently written in Flash or as web content. The existing versions of these apps are either C/C++ or some flavor of Java. These apps also took a lot of time and effort to develop, and can't simply be rewritten from scratch with development environments that require a completely different approach to development. I'll bet most of the developers of these apps are waiting for better development options before even considering porting.
    I confess. I don't know the difference. If we need NDk to get fullsome apps, let's hope the backlog of app approval and the sporadic QNX updates are on account of RIM's preoccupation with perfecting NDK. Maybe it will all come together once that is released and will get consistent, cross-platform performance and capabilities.
    06-11-11 02:31 AM

Speaking as a developer, you pretty much hit it on the nose.
    06-11-11 11:29 AM
    Speaking as a developer, you pretty much hit it on the nose.
    He did indeed, which is what i've always criticized about RIM ever since the playbook was announced, wrong choice by not providing the native development option first. We would have much more better apps by now if c++ had been released first. But oh well, its their platform, they can go drown in flash all they want, RIM being RIM.
    06-11-11 12:04 PM
    Actually, I think offering a porting solution for BlackBerry Java would get them useful apps the quickest of all possible choices. (While also offering the current/upcoming options for new apps.) While most of the apps we want are best done through a native SDK, most of the developers who are already committed to RIM platforms are programming in BlackBerry Java. Giving these people an easy way to bring their existing software to the PlayBook, with minimal effort, would have given a huge early boost to the platform.

While the iPad didn't have a large catalog of apps on day 1, the fact that it could run iPhone apps (and that the SDKs were similar), was likely of huge benefit to its early adopters.
    06-11-11 12:43 PM
    Actually, I think offering a porting solution for BlackBerry Java would get them useful apps the quickest of all possible choices. (While also offering the current/upcoming options for new apps.) While most of the apps we want are best done through a native SDK, most of the developers who are already committed to RIM platforms are programming in BlackBerry Java. Giving these people an easy way to bring their existing software to the PlayBook, with minimal effort, would have given a huge early boost to the platform.

While the iPad didn't have a large catalog of apps on day 1, the fact that it could run iPhone apps (and that the SDKs were similar), was likely of huge benefit to its early adopters.
    Java will be runnable using the android simulator, which will probably run real java, instead of blackberry java. But again, i also agree that blackberry java should have been supported along with the native language. It was the most logical thing to do, but they went with a totally different approach by supporting something totally different and starting from 0.

The difference from playbook-smartphone and ipad iphone, is that the ipad and iphone run under the same OS "type", dont know how to explain it, but the only discrepancy was the resolution, the rest was almost equal, while the playbook runs QNX and the smartphones run on a java OS.
    Last edited by gbsn; 06-11-11 at 12:59 PM.
    06-11-11 12:53 PM
84 ... 234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD