I was patient for a while, but it really is ridiculous that there's no e-book reader on the playbook that'll read any already purchased e-books still. Beyond stupid that it came with a crippled reader to begin with... and after 1.5 months there still isn't anything available... and it's not exactly the most complicated app to make either.

Converting to .pdf or a .doc file isn't much of a solution either.
    06-06-11 02:06 PM
    I absolutely cannot wait to dump Kobo. It's the worst experience.

And yet still no updates from Amazon on when the app will be available. Maybe they decided not to publish one - seems like a silly decision, but who knows?
    06-09-11 11:03 AM
    I was patient for a while, but it really is ridiculous that there's no e-book reader on the playbook that'll read any already purchased e-books still. Beyond stupid that it came with a crippled reader to begin with... and after 1.5 months there still isn't anything available... and it's not exactly the most complicated app to make either.

Converting to .pdf or a .doc file isn't much of a solution either.
    This whole Playbook app situation is ridiculous. I'm not looking for a whole lot of apps so I figured that wouldn't be a big problem since it seemed the few apps I wanted would be available in reasonable time. Here we are almost at 2 months from launch and there is still not even a Kindle app. IM+ has been submitted since May 19th and hasn't been approved. Who knows what is going on with Skype, something we were misled about based on early screenshots of the app store. I'm going to be shocked if we get native email by the 60 day mark.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-09-11 11:36 AM
    Oh another one of the few important apps I needed was a good PDF reader, I figured since it is from Adobe it would at least work well. Wrong again.

06-09-11 11:39 AM
    Well I solved the lack of kindle app on the playbook or whatever device I have next. I bought a kindle
    06-09-11 11:40 AM
    I doubt there will be a Kindle app anytime soon for PB. Amazon still hasn't shown any sign of conforming to Apple's secondary revenue sharing (meaning Apple expects Amazon to share any profits they make for in-app purchases) which they have until June 30th to adhere to. And since AppWorld now has a secondary revenue sharing policy with Playbook AppWorld apps, and no 'official' method in place to sideload apps, I doubt they're in any hurry to get an app to market.
    06-09-11 12:16 PM
    Someone please tell RIM that having 55 Canadian newspaper apps does nothing for a person in Houston, TX. Don't care about hockey either!!!

Ah, so you want Mexican Newspapers!

I live close to the Canadian border and they can keep the hockey!
    06-09-11 12:18 PM
    Read in the last couple of days that Apple has reversed itself in the cases of Kindle, Netflix, etc. Also APPLE reversed their stand on demanding that companies charge the same for in app store pricing that they do out of store. It is a work in progress.

Maybe Amazon is waiting for the Playbook Android Emulator so they don't have to re-invent the wheel????? Just wondering out-loud, do not now enough about the re-apply process through RIM on Android apps to make an intelligent guess.
    but isnt bits of our playbook qnx os based off of os6 or 7, why cant they just make the regular kindle app compatible in the mean time then knock our socks off with kindle qnx? i mean all i need is something to read and borders is missing alot of books i like. plus maybe with kindle on this borders will drops some of their prices.

06-09-11 12:38 PM
    i dont understand why there is not an e reader out by anyone other than kobo. It seems to me that they are all missing a golden opportunity. I know that I would certainly be willing to pay for an app. btw, I have a kindle too, but would really like to lessen the weight of my purse!
    06-09-11 12:39 PM
    Yep, tried kobo but I don't like it that much, waiting for kindle...
    06-09-11 12:58 PM
    but isnt bits of our playbook qnx os based off of os6 or 7,
    Ahh, NO it's NOT!
    06-09-11 12:59 PM
    From the looks of the review on PC Mag, the new HP TouchPad is launching with a Kindle App. The unit that the reviewer played with had a working copy of the app on it. Amazon has time to do a WebOS app but not a QNX. What's that say.....
    06-09-11 01:01 PM
    From the looks of the review on PC Mag, the new HP TouchPad is launching with a Kindle App. The unit that the reviewer played with had a working copy of the app on it. Amazon has time to do a WebOS app but not a QNX. What's that say.....
    Either HP put up some bucks or PB users are screwed
    06-09-11 01:06 PM
    Or devil's advocate; Kobo paid RIM to let them launch and have an exclusive period...
    06-09-11 01:16 PM
    Or devil's advocate; Kobo paid RIM to let them launch and have an exclusive period...
    Wouldn't be the first mistake that RIM has made
    06-09-11 01:20 PM
    Well WebOS does have a suitable development environment in place already, as well the OS is at a stable/complete state. So Amazon's developers have something to work with. RIM's QNX based OS isn't finished yet and its development environment won't be ready to use until it is (well, reliably anyway).
    06-09-11 01:29 PM
    Read in the last couple of days that Apple has reversed itself in the cases of Kindle, Netflix, etc. Also APPLE reversed their stand on demanding that companies charge the same for in app store pricing that they do out of store. It is a work in progress.
    I hadn't read that. That's good to hear.
    06-09-11 01:30 PM
    I read somewhere in the forum that amazon has already submitted a Kindle app for approval.
    06-09-11 02:08 PM
    I hadn't read that. That's good to hear.
    Agreed, I thought it was ridiculous for Apple to try to tap into this; hopefully RIM will come to their senses as well.

I read somewhere in the forum that amazon has already submitted a Kindle app for approval.
    Have not read that (got a link?) but sure hope it's true!
    V3nom likes this.
    06-09-11 02:13 PM
    I was actually looking for it, but haven't been able to find it.
    06-09-11 02:58 PM
    Of all the theories, this makes the most sense. I have come close to purchasing a book on kobo because i got tired of waiting. But I fought the urge and won!
    06-09-11 05:13 PM
    Either HP put up some bucks or PB users are screwed
    web os has been out for a couple years (remember, hp bought Palm) while the pbook qnx sdk has been out a couple months.
    06-09-11 06:54 PM
    I have a friend who has access to check these things. As of May 31 there was nothing submitted.

I'm ANXIOUSLY awaiting kindle for playbook. The waiting is making me nuts.
    06-10-11 10:26 AM
    It's like RIM does not give a rats a** about what is loyal users think and feel. Sucks!!
    yes, its EXACTLY like that, because rim doesnt want to succeed....
    06-10-11 03:27 PM
    People get frustrated if left in the dark. Would be better if amazon or RIM show a demo or say we working on it wait for it around yyy or zzz to be available. Just no news is well bad...
    06-10-11 04:30 PM
84 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD