There was a thread on how to use a Rim test/developers'/other kit to load apps directly bypassing the appworld install. It was in reference to some app that Rim had not yet approved but could be loaded by this method that developers use when building and testing apps.

I'm not sure that Amazon would want to take that direction as it is more convoluted and would not serve users who want SIMPLE.
    05-16-11 08:52 AM
    I, for one, feel snookered. I really thought my PB would arrive with the Kindle app pre-installed, or at least available for download. Bait and switch. Nothing prevented me from returning my PB. Lots of "coming soon" talk kept it in my hand. I received an email from Amazon saying that the Kindle app had - effectively - been abandoned. It's posted in one of the other threads.

I'm disappointed that my PB will not be doubling as an e-book reader. There is zero chance I am going to start over with Kobo - especially with the comments from others about paying for books and being unable to download. My Kobo app says I need to be connected to the internet just to open it. Sounds pretty useless when on a plane or subway.
    I've opened my Kobo with no internet connection plenty of time. In fact, I just did so again to check
    05-16-11 09:18 AM
    I've opened my Kobo with no internet connection plenty of time. In fact, I just did so again to check
    I suspect if you don't have any books downloaded you'll get this message. Yeah, Kobo works just fine without an internet connection and anyone thinking that you'd need internet to just "read" a book is a fool. But I just can't accept having to re-purchase books I own on Kindle.

Don't believe RIM eve published a guaranteed list of apps at release so folks who are claiming "bait and switch" are full of BS.

Yes, PB is new and needs a few more key apps for everyone but overall it's pretty darn sweet as is. Not nearly perfect, but damn sure worth the money I paid.
    05-16-11 09:32 AM
    I'm disappointed that my PB will not be doubling as an e-book reader
    While this probably seems silly to some, I am on the road constantly and serving as an eBook reader is a core function for me on my tablet (among others of course). I'm willing to play with Kobo a bit and see how it works; I might be willing to use it as a stopgap until the Kindle app becomes available.

I'm just not willing to go back to carrying a Kindle as well as a tablet, as well as a laptop and a smartphone. The PlayBook is the perfect size for me on the road, in a plane, or in between meetings. But if it means I need to carry another device, that's a problem.
    05-16-11 10:00 AM
    anyone thinking that you'd need internet to just "read" a book is a fool.
    That's a bit harsh. I opened the app and it said an internet connection was required. Why wouldn't I assume it needed an internet connection to function? I'm a fool because I don't assume it is lying to me? I'm pretty smart and tech savy. That "needs an internet" screen was the one and only shot I gave it.
    05-16-11 02:03 PM
    I, for one, feel snookered. I really thought my PB would arrive with the Kindle app pre-installed, or at least available for download. Bait and switch. Nothing prevented me from returning my PB. Lots of "coming soon" talk kept it in my hand. I received an email from Amazon saying that the Kindle app had - effectively - been abandoned. It's posted in one of the other threads.

I'm disappointed that my PB will not be doubling as an e-book reader. There is zero chance I am going to start over with Kobo - especially with the comments from others about paying for books and being unable to download. My Kobo app says I need to be connected to the internet just to open it. Sounds pretty useless when on a plane or subway.
    It's strange that you received such an email from Amazon. Based on this thread it's on schedule for release by the end of May :
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f243/ki...nd-may-612623/

i sent my weekly "wheres the kindle app" message and got a different response this time:

Hello,

I understand you would like to know when Kindle App for the Blackberry Playbook will be released, sorry for the inconvenience caused.

As you have mentioned the announcement regarding Kindle App for the Blackberry Playbook was made us some time back but the release date has yet not been finalized.

I suggest you to check our website regularly as we will be releasing the Kindle App for the Blackberry Playbook by the end of May.

I hope this helps. Thanks for using Kindle.
    05-16-11 03:51 PM
    That's a bit harsh. I opened the app and it said an internet connection was required. Why wouldn't I assume it needed an internet connection to function? I'm a fool because I don't assume it is lying to me? I'm pretty smart and tech savy. That "needs an internet" screen was the one and only shot I gave it.
    Well, then I hope BING was also lying when it demanded at least a wifi connection. (I'll be in trouble but that guy has been rude in a number of threads I've just read)
    05-16-11 03:53 PM
    It's strange that you received such an email from Amazon. Based on this thread it's on schedule for release by the end of May :
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f243/ki...nd-may-612623/
    One thing that scares me is nobody else seems to be posting anything else backing me up. Id feel better if anyone else was saying they also got that response. Ive seen countless people linking to my original post and its making me so nervous lol. I even saw a guy already dismissing what i passed on as crap. So while on one hand i guess its not a big deal if the people of blackberry land think i made up a kindle hoax or something, i still wanna know if the damn kindle app is really coming out in May or not. I know im not the only one who has written to amazon.. anyone gotten the may response besides me?

Anyway, if may comes and goes and theres no kindle app, i assure you id make up something way more interesting if i wanted to spread internet rumors.
    05-16-11 05:13 PM
    To back up gravymonster, I too received a reply from Amazon. Mine did not report that it's being specifically released in May. However others in this forum have received replies that indicate the end of May. Here's my response from Amazon (bold is my emphasis):

----------

Hello,

We really appreciate your interest in the Kindle application for BlackBerry Playbook, please stay tuned. You can view our Kindle apps currently available and discover when we’ve released Kindle for BlackBerry Playbook by following the link below:

Amazon.com: Free Kindle Reading Apps

I’ve forward your comments to our Kindle Development team, they would carefully review your comments and work hard to implement your suggestions as we plan our future improvements.

Customer feedback like yours helps us in our endeavor to improve the service we provide, and we're glad you took time to write to us.

Thanks for your valuable feedback.

Thank you for your recent inquiry. Did I solve your problem?

If yes, please click here:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/survey...bUvbUpU6334543

If no, please click here:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/survey...bUvbUpU6334543

Best regards,

Mahesh M
    Amazon.com
    Your feedback is helping us build Earth's Most Customer-Centric Company.
    http://www.amazon.com/your-account?t...bUvbUpU6334543

---------------
    Last edited by bluenose363; 05-16-11 at 07:15 PM.
    05-16-11 07:11 PM
    I sent an email over the weekend more to add to the demands for a Kindle app on the PB than to expect a concrete response. Here is what I received in return:

"Hello,

I understand your concern about Kindle application for Blackberry Playbook.

We have announced the Kindle application for Blackberry Playbook, but we still haven’t released the application or announced any release date for this application.

I unable to determine when exactly will the Kindle application for Blackberry Playbook will available to download for customers. I request you to please check our website frequently for the information about release of Kindle application for Blackberry Playbook.

Also, I've passed your message about Kindle application for Blackberry Playbook to the appropriate department in our company for consideration. Customer feedback like yours is very important in helping us continue to improve the selection and service we provide.

We appreciate the time you have taken to share your feedback with us. It's important for us to hear how customers feel about all aspects of shopping at Amazon.com, so we can continue to improve our store and the service we provide.

The Kindle Team will carefully review your comments and suggestions.

Thanks for your interest in Kindle."

Not firm but still not dead in the water!
    05-16-11 07:36 PM
    Yeah, after reading the negative things on this thread I fired off another email to Amazon yesterday (my 4th).

I said the only reason I bought the PB was that Amazon had guaranteed a Kindle App (a slight exaggeration).

But I had read on a forum that you were definitely not releasing an app for Playbook (a little white lie).

And if that was the case I would be transferring by ebook library to Kobo and only buying from them from now on (a great whopper of a lie!)

I got a reply this morning that it was untrue they were abandoning Kindle for Playbook and keep checking for the app.

Result!!!
    05-18-11 03:47 AM
    While this probably seems silly to some, I am on the road constantly and serving as an eBook reader is a core function for me on my tablet (among others of course). I'm willing to play with Kobo a bit and see how it works; I might be willing to use it as a stopgap until the Kindle app becomes available.

I'm just not willing to go back to carrying a Kindle as well as a tablet, as well as a laptop and a smartphone. The PlayBook is the perfect size for me on the road, in a plane, or in between meetings. But if it means I need to carry another device, that's a problem.
    I've said this on a few threads about the kindle before, but I would check out Ibisreader or Bookworm. Online epub readers. Work extremelly well on tether or BB Bridge browser
    05-18-11 08:37 AM
    Yeah, after reading the negative things on this thread I fired off another email to Amazon yesterday (my 4th).

I said the only reason I bought the PB was that Amazon had guaranteed a Kindle App (a slight exaggeration).

But I had read on a forum that you were definitely not releasing an app for Playbook (a little white lie).

And if that was the case I would be transferring by ebook library to Kobo and only buying from them from now on (a great whopper of a lie!)

I got a reply this morning that it was untrue they were abandoning Kindle for Playbook and keep checking for the app.

Result!!!
    Okay, if anybody feels a little sympathy I don't have time to read this whole thread but want to shoot a quick email to them. Anybody got the email address?
    05-18-11 08:58 AM
    Maybe it's time to look for alternatives to Kindle.
    05-18-11 09:25 AM
    This is a great discussion. It leads me to question, is RIM maybe asking for a little too much a little too early? Apps are the primary reason for the success of IOS and Android. I believe lack of apps are the reason for WebOS being on Life support for so long, and having to be bought and sold. Blackberry has it's own niche and an enormous corporate marketshare because of stability, security, and true push, so apps were kind of a side dish for them. Now going into the tablet market, they will need to rely on app developers more now than they ever had.

Maybe asking 30% of anything offered through AppWorld at this point when you are trying to build and grow a new platform on the market is a bit steep? I am thinking in early stages RIM needs the developers more than the developers need them. Once they have a good marketshare then naturally things could change up.

But here's another thing. We are going to have Android Market available as well, so if we can't get it through AppWorld, we get it through Android I would think....I could be wrong of course.
    05-18-11 10:20 AM

Kobo only needs to be connected to the internet the first time you open it. Mine has worked flawlessly, but I've only downloaded 3 books. I'm still looking forward to Kindle, but Kobo has been good for me so far. I want to use them both and then decide which one I'll settle on, although I like that Kindle has newspaper subscriptions.
    05-18-11 10:31 AM
    Okay, if anybody feels a little sympathy I don't have time to read this whole thread but want to shoot a quick email to them. Anybody got the email address?
    Yeah just go to Amazon.com then from the left columns follow Kindle Reader Apps (or whatever they are called). Then on the right side hit 'Contact us'.
    05-18-11 10:39 AM
    Maybe it's time to look for alternatives to Kindle.
    Or an alternative to Playbook. I'm not interested in rebuilding my library of books, which is entirely Amazon based. That's like telling me to empty the bookshelves, I'll never be reading from any of the hardcovers I've bought over the years. Simplistic and ridiculous.

I've said this on a few threads about the kindle before, but I would check out Ibisreader or Bookworm. Online epub readers. Work extremelly well on tether or BB Bridge browser
    I'm sure they are great, but they don't help me on an airplane.

Kobo only needs to be connected to the internet the first time you open it. Mine has worked flawlessly, but I've only downloaded 3 books. I'm still looking forward to Kindle, but Kobo has been good for me so far. I want to use them both and then decide which one I'll settle on, although I like that Kindle has newspaper subscriptions.
    I've downloaded a few samples in Kobo to try it out. Most work fine; some give me an error when I try to open them. I get the message "Sorry! We couldn't open this item. We're working to fix the problem - please try again later." Also, it's not a great reading experience - Kobo appears to load books by chapter, so there is a delay when turning pages (sometimes) or when changing sections (always) of a book.
    05-18-11 10:46 AM
    I'm sure they are great, but they don't help me on an airplane.
    Don't get me wrong, I'm all for having the proper application in order to do what needs to be done. I'm also waiting for a proper reading app. This doesn't mean that your enjoyment can't take place on the playbook, there are 2 options:

1. Make sure your epub is not split into different chapters. That way you can load the page at home/airport, and enjoy the book during your flight (done this last week)
    2. Load multiple chapters and use browser back and forward to read (more cumbersome, but it works)
    3. Download the offline browser app from the AppWorld, convert the epub you want into .html and load it on the app.

I also have a very large collection of e-books I've purchased and collected over the years, and I'm also weary of having to convert them all, but I find that either one of these solutions above are passable for now until such a time as a proper reader, with sideload abilities, comes into the equation.
    05-18-11 11:38 AM
    Don't get me wrong, I'm all for having the proper application in order to do what needs to be done. I'm also waiting for a proper reading app. This doesn't mean that your enjoyment can't take place on the playbook, there are 2 options:

1. Make sure your epub is not split into different chapters. That way you can load the page at home/airport, and enjoy the book during your flight (done this last week)
    2. Load multiple chapters and use browser back and forward to read (more cumbersome, but it works)
    3. Download the offline browser app from the AppWorld, convert the epub you want into .html and load it on the app.

I also have a very large collection of e-books I've purchased and collected over the years, and I'm also weary of having to convert them all, but I find that either one of these solutions above are passable for now until such a time as a proper reader, with sideload abilities, comes into the equation.
    I defintiely appreciate the suggestion. I may try it, but to be honest I may decide it's just not worth the effort. Call me lazy, but eBooks shouldn't be a lot of work to me - I'm guessing at the steps involved here (assuming I can do this) are something like:

Download the Kindle Reader app to my laptop
    Install and log in, download from my Kindle archive whatever books I want to load on my PlayBook
    Locate the books on my laptop (presumably they have some common file extension)
    Convert them to HTML (via...what process?)
    Load the offline browser to my PlayBook
    Move the files over to the PlayBook and open using offline browser.

At least, I think those would be the steps. Unless you are assuming I am not purchasing books from Amazon ond some sort of DRM would prevent me from opening them as HTML somewhere? In which case, this won't really work for me.
    05-18-11 12:21 PM
    You can connect your Kindle to your computer using USB and get the files that way. Then you can use Calibre to convert the .azw files to whatever your heart desires pretty much.

The loading/converting process takes about 3 minutes per book, which is why I do it only for the books i'm currently reading, as I hope that something better then Kobo will be coming along that will allow me to sideload everything.

The Offline browser loading would be a one time deal.
    05-18-11 01:12 PM
    You can connect your Kindle to your computer using USB and get the files that way. Then you can use Calibre to convert the .azw files to whatever your heart desires pretty much.

The loading/converting process takes about 3 minutes per book, which is why I do it only for the books i'm currently reading, as I hope that something better then Kobo will be coming along that will allow me to sideload everything.

The Offline browser loading would be a one time deal.
    So you have to own a kindle first. Or are you saying to start up kindle on your pc?
    05-25-11 12:46 PM
    So you have to own a kindle first. Or are you saying to start up kindle on your pc?
    you do not have to own a Kindle device in order to read Amazon ebooks. All you need is a Kindle account on Amazon and a device where you can install an Amazon Kindle app on. So a PC would work just fine.
    05-25-11 01:23 PM
    This makes me warm and fuzzy inside.
    06-06-11 12:51 PM
    Sent my bi-weekly grip to Amazon yesterday, When is the Kindle coming, I need access to my 145+ books on my Playbook, etc, etc.

This time the answer was interesting: Stay Tuned:

"Kindle for BlackBerry Playbook is not yet available, but stay tuned. You can view our Kindle apps currently available and discover when we’ve released Kindle for BlackBerry Playbook by following the link below:

http://www.amazon.com/kindleapps"

I actually find this slightly encouraging!! BTW reading David McCollugh's new book on my iPad Kindle. Pictures of Art from the 1830's, stunning, cannot wait to see on Playbook!
    Sigh...I hate to burst your bubble but this is the same boxed message they sent back in the middle of May.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f243/ki...ml#post6334543

So keep staying tuned.
    06-06-11 01:04 PM
84 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD