it seems as if due to apple amazon has developed an html5 kindle app and guess what it works

https://read.amazon.com/

thats the link enjoy guys
    08-11-11 10:00 AM
    Not exactly what I've been waiting for. Hopefully the app comes out soon.
    08-11-11 10:14 AM
    that is true , but its a start
    08-11-11 10:14 AM
    The Android app works GRRRRREAT!!!!!
    therapyreject174 likes this.
    08-11-11 10:16 AM
    Hi, correct me if I am wrong, it works off line, as long as you don't close the browser right?
    08-12-11 10:21 PM
    Hi, correct me if I am wrong, it works off line, as long as you don't close the browser right?
    The CLOUD version does work offline as long as you keep the browser open. What I'm not sure about is if you can have more than one book loaded under Cloud. I guess it should be tried.
    08-13-11 09:50 AM
    Yes, you can pin and download more than one book and they will be available offline and across browser sessions.
    08-13-11 10:49 AM
    I tried the the Cloud Reader, but I remain unimpressed with the whole thing. The only positive is the better text layout, but it is rather ackward to navigate overall. Although I would love a Kindle app, I still enjoy the actual Kindle unit that I use on a regualr basis.

Let's see what the Android Kindle app has to offer once 2.0 arrives.
    09-26-11 10:04 AM
    I used the Android app on the leaked Android player, and although it was a bit glitchy, I still preferred it to the Cloud Reader. I really like being able to highlight and annotate, which the Cloud Reader can't do. Unfortunately, neither can the BlackBerry smartphone Kindle app! This really bugs me. It's not always true that the BB version of an app is inferior to iOS and Android versions, but in this case it is true. The BB has that nice keyboard sitting there, and it really should be possible to use it...

But I digress.

The Kindle app isn't the sort of thing that needs extreme optimization, so I'm happy to use the Android version on the PB, when we can do so. I do like to make the print quite large, however. It's one of the attractions of ebook reading, in my opinion. The Android app on the leaked player didn't let me go as large as the Cloud Reader does, although it wasn't too bad. I hope whatever version we get permits nice large "**** and Jane" print. These eyes ain't getting younger.
    09-26-11 12:35 PM
    Update:

I assume that Amazon is periodically updating the Cloud Reader, without announcements or fanfare. I have noticed that some things are working better in the PB browser. For example, when I first started using the Cloud Reader, the display of books in the "Library" page was buggy. Sometimes the covers overlapped each other or were displayed in an ultra-thin unreadable manner. Now they are well-behaved and display normally. The "Shop in Kindle Store" button is still not there all the time, but it shows up more often than it used to. Previously, opening a book would sometimes give me a blank page; this doesn't happen anymore.

There's still no highlighting or annotation, on any browser, not just PB. I don't know if HTML5 makes these features possible, or if they're being worked on. But given the feature set that it has, my impression is that the Cloud Reader is better behaved on the PB now than it was when it was first launched.
    10-04-11 08:14 AM
    so I wonder if lookup, highlight and annotation is coming? Their onboard dictionary is great in Android. Cannot see cloud version being all that.
    I wonder too. When the Cloud Reader was first launched, the press release said it didn't "yet" have highlighting and annotation; I don't remember anything about dictionary lookup.

Somebody with actual knowledge of HTML5 might be able to comment on the feasibility of these things. In the Android and iOS apps, you select a chunk of text and are given the option of highlighting it or adding a note. After you do so, the displayed page shows the highlighting and the location of the new note. I don't see why this couldn't be done in a web app, but I'm the first to admit that I don't know the difficulties involved.

It seems to me that dictionary look up should be easier, because it doesn't entail any changes to the book page itself. All that's need is a popup; things like that exist already.
    10-05-11 06:35 PM
    Not sure what I'm doing wrong but when I go to that link and login the browser page freezes at a 'Set Up Kindle Cloud Reader for Offline Reading' page that won't allow me to scroll etc. Browser is still alive (I can navigate to another page, etc) but that page just sits there. I upgraded to the new OS and the same thing... anyone else have this issue?
    10-06-11 08:54 AM
    Try putting the PB into portrait mode before opening the site.
    eprklims likes this.
    10-06-11 09:17 AM
    Also try emptying the browser cache first. The PB browser does seem to get clogged up from time to time, and performance suffers.

Also, I don't want to give the impression that the Cloud Reader works flawlessly on the PB. It doesn't. But I do think it's working better now than it did when it was launched. I've never had the problem of freezing at the setup page, though.
    eprklims likes this.
    10-06-11 09:26 AM
    I got this up and running and pinned two books. (Once a book is pinned, you can't see it anymore, this is a little awkward, it's just a tall skinny line with a pin on it - you have to change your view type to see it.)

Where does the book get stored when it's downloaded to the device? I looked through "Files & Folders" to see if I could find anything, and there was nothing, but it has to be there somewhere. I was wondering if I could find it and open it in BookReader...

If I open Cloud Reader via the Bridge browser, can I initiate offline reading of a book pinned in the regular browser, and then close the bridge?
    10-07-11 08:40 AM
    I got this up and running and pinned two books. (Once a book is pinned, you can't see it anymore, this is a little awkward, it's just a tall skinny line with a pin on it - you have to change your view type to see it.)

Where does the book get stored when it's downloaded to the device? I looked through "Files & Folders" to see if I could find anything, and there was nothing, but it has to be there somewhere. I was wondering if I could find it and open it in BookReader...

If I open Cloud Reader via the Bridge browser, can I initiate offline reading of a book pinned in the regular browser, and then close the bridge?
    Ah, I've just notice this pinning (mis)behavior. I wonder if this is the fault of the PB browser or the way the site is coded. Maybe there's never a clear answer to that question.

I believe the books get stored in the browser cache. If you clear the cache, you'll have to sign in again. You won't be able to read them in Book Reader.

As far as I know, there's no advantage to "pinning" a book in the PB. Pinning seems to be meant for the Chrome broswer, where the Kindle app can be stored as a browser extension that can be accessed off-line. On the PB, you have to be online to use the browser at all. When you go to the Cloud Reader and just open a book, it immediately starts downloading anyway, so pinning it doesn't seem to have any advantage--and it has the disadvantage of the misbehaving icons.

Yes, I think you can close the bridge and keep reading, once the book is fully in cache. But when you close it, your position won't get synced back to the Amazon account unless you're connected.
    10-07-11 10:14 AM
    As far as I know, there's no advantage to "pinning" a book in the PB.
    Good point. I wish I could unpin, since having the book on the PB doesn't seem to let me find it and open it in BookReader. I cleared browser cache and the books are still pinned. Anyone ever unpin??
    10-07-11 12:44 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD