This is a rather simple launcher that provides an easy way to access the Amazon Kindle Cloud Reader without many of the annoyances of using it within the web browser.

Once the Amazon Cloud Reader HTML5 based app installs itself upon the initial Amazon login (just as it does in the web browser) and you pin all the books you intend to read it really is just a matter of opening this launcher while connected and leaving it open (from my testing at least) so it is ready for use despite being online or offline. Your books and the app itself are already downloaded so offline use is intact.

Release 1 (Initial) - 08/18/2011
    -Forced portrait mode
    -Amazon Kindle icon

Release 2 (Polish) - 08/20/2011
    -Kindle Cloud icon
    -Kindle Cloud Reader logo
    -Enhanced page loading

Wish List (May or may not be possible)
    -Offline launching

Please enjoy the BAR file attached to side load on your PlayBook. There are many threads that can explain how to side load so please DO NOT ASK in this thread.

This is merely a Webworks "app" that loads external content and in no way can be considered true "development" but helps me cope without having a native Kindle app for the time being. I was tired of having to lock portrait mode in since the Cloud Reader only works as anticipated in this mode and I don't like leaving a browser open all the time or accidentally dragging down the top bar.
    Last edited by theproto; 08-20-11 at 09:16 PM.
    08-18-11 10:36 PM
    Oh and please, before anyone bashes me or anyone using a simple "launcher". I took 3 minutes out of my time to make my life simpler and thought I would share it. If you don't like it, thats just fine, I don't care, this isn't development, just a mere XML config file packaged up thanks to RIM's WebWorks SDK.

I am a long time BES Admin just trying to do a favor for other users that may not want to install the dev tools to whip this together.

Just wanted to get that out of the way...
    08-18-11 10:59 PM
    Anyone figured out where the books are stored in off line mode?
    08-19-11 02:03 AM
    Thanks man! I'll check it out later.
    08-19-11 08:44 AM
    Updated. See top post.
    08-20-11 02:40 PM
    ThIs is a good idea. I dont see a link to the bar file in your first post? What am i missing?
    08-20-11 02:53 PM
    Sorry about that... Now re-attached..
    08-20-11 03:11 PM
    This is perfect. I am considering learning to do this to create a launcher for the cloud player where all my music is.
    08-20-11 05:48 PM
    I tried it and not impressed enough to use it much. You have to read inside the browser and keep wifi on to continue even with downloads. I really don't want to hold the PB for extended periods with the wifi on for things like book reading. And I think the PB is too heavy to me for a comfortable reading device but I am used to my Kindle. Or maybe I'm just doing it wrong!

I know that may be paranoid, but I get radiated enough during the day with all the wifi stuff around the house.
    08-20-11 06:03 PM
    Interesting... I hear you about the PlayBook being heavier than the Kindle itself however regarding the comment about staying connected...

Using this launcher you only need connectivity to load the Amazon Cloud reader initially since it does not need to refresh as it does in the browser itself when switching between tabs and such.

Once the Amazon Cloud Reader HTML components install themselves after login and you pin all the books you intend to read it really is just a matter of opening this launcher initially while connected and leaving it open (from my testing at least) so it is ready for use.

I personally really like this much better than using a web browser.
    Innerchild and jhimmel like this.
    08-20-11 07:08 PM
    Thanks for this great launcher!
    08-20-11 08:39 PM
    Interesting... I hear you about the PlayBook being heavier than the Kindle itself however regarding the comment about staying connected...

Using this launcher you only need connectivity to load the Amazon Cloud reader initially since it does not need to refresh as it does in the browser itself when switching between tabs and such.

Once the Amazon Cloud Reader HTML components install themselves after login and you pin all the books you intend to read it really is just a matter of opening this launcher initially while connected and leaving it open (from my testing at least) so it is ready for use.

I personally really like this much better than using a web browser.
    Thanks for explaining about your launcher and how it works. I'll give this a try since it sounds much better than the Cloud reader alone.
    08-20-11 08:53 PM
    Very cool. Thanks! Solves the big problem with the cloud reader.
    08-21-11 07:19 PM

I know that may be paranoid, but I get radiated enough during the day with all the wifi stuff around the house.
    Hmmm. You are aware that whether or not your Playbook is connected to WiFi, the WiFi signal is still there? You would have to turn off your router to make it go away.

Of course you would then have turn off your microwave, cordless telephone, baby monitor, wireless thermometers etc - all of which broadcast in the 2.4 Ghz frequency range.

Thing is, there are so many wireless signals out there (from radio to microwave to infrared and all the way up the line) avoiding WiFi isn't likely to make a whole lot of difference.
    08-21-11 10:36 PM
    Hmmm. You are aware that whether or not your Playbook is connected to WiFi, the WiFi signal is still there? You would have to turn off your router to make it go away.

Of course you would then have turn off your microwave, cordless telephone, baby monitor, wireless thermometers etc - all of which broadcast in the 2.4 Ghz frequency range.

Thing is, there are so many wireless signals out there (from radio to microwave to infrared and all the way up the line) avoiding WiFi isn't likely to make a whole lot of difference.
    Yes, having worked as an electronics engineer, I do know there are many sources of radiation. Lots of them are in my house, including my new wifi TV and DVD player, desktop computer, laptop, ipod touch, Blackberry phone and Playbook, and throw radon into the mix! I was really being somewhat tongue-in-cheek, but I do think about the proximity factor of hand-held devices.

I'm just overly sensitive to possibilities because I have had cancer and get CT scanned periodically, so can't help thinking about all of that stuff. Definitely changes one's perspective on a lot of things. Enough of that thinking though and looking forward to getting my new BB7 phone!
    espresso1967 likes this.
    08-21-11 11:49 PM
    I'm just overly sensitive to possibilities because I have had cancer and get CT scanned periodically, so can't help thinking about all of that stuff. Definitely changes one's perspective on a lot of things. Enough of that thinking though and looking forward to getting my new BB7 phone!
    Glad to hear you are still here waiting for the new BB7 devices with us
    08-21-11 11:53 PM
    Glad to hear you are still here waiting for the new BB7 devices with us
    Thanks... me too!!!
    08-23-11 12:33 AM
    hey proto, any chance of getting a copy of your config.xml file? Would like to check out your settings? Looking q similar launcher for cloud player.
    08-28-11 05:59 PM
    By all means, go for it! The .bar file is just a zip file. I tried a number of things before I found something that worked "right" enough to post.

Going directly to some of Amazon's SSL sites from the config file yielded less than positive results. I also found the form based redirect from a local file to work quite nicely for this application. If you find something that works better well please let me know.

I do have a vendor account for App World however would never consider submitting something this trivial even for free and since I wanted to retain all the official Amazon logos etc. to make it feel just that much more genuine as a user it likely cannot be submitted without paperwork.

I would still like to get rid of the blinding while screen during the redirect from Amazon's non-SSL to SSL page however I cannot consistently go directly to https://read.amazon.com as I noted above.
    08-28-11 06:49 PM
    Anyone figured out where the books are stored in off line mode?
    I havent been able to figure that out either. It almost appears that their stored in cache though. If you clear cache, if your browser crashes and you have to relog in, and if you sign out and relog in it appears you have to download and pin the books again.
    08-29-11 01:43 PM
    I downloaded the file to my playbook, unzipped it and got a message that it was an unrecognizable file format. What did I do wrong?
    09-14-11 09:10 PM
    Hi,
    i am getting error when trying to open any book? anyone else had the same problem?
    is there anyway this can be fixed?
    12-14-11 03:20 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD