I loaded the kindle android app on my playbook and am reading my kindle library now via android player. Now that I have kindle and pop mail, my playbook is (almost) complete.
    simsim likes this.
    07-21-11 08:57 PM
    Yes it does - great news!

Curious if anyone can side load books? I have none, but was wondering if it were possible

Take a look here for more android apps

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...r-apps-631724/
    Last edited by lyricidal; 07-21-11 at 09:45 PM.
    07-21-11 08:58 PM
    why don't we just flash android gingerbread on pb and make it playdroid
    its nice to see people having some hope and something to enjoy on pb !
    07-21-11 09:00 PM
    did you load your own books or did you have books already synced from amazon? If you loaded your own books can you tell me how you did it?
    07-21-11 09:06 PM
    Has anyone been able to sideload any books?
    07-21-11 09:06 PM
    did you load your own books or did you have books already synced from amazon? If you loaded your own books can you tell me how you did it?
    I just synced my account and all my books are here on my pb. With Astro loaded I suppose I can find the kindle folder and move books in from my laptop.
    07-21-11 09:40 PM
    does kindle have page turn animations?
    07-21-11 10:03 PM
    Although I can get the apk loaded, when I try to sync, or retrieve from the archive, I immediately get "download interrupted" Anyone else have that problem? THanks for any help...
    07-21-11 11:32 PM
    with what apps do you have pop mail?????
    07-21-11 11:32 PM
    with what apps do you have pop mail?????
    the native android email is included in the android player.
    07-22-11 02:28 AM
    maybe rim is just waiting to get the android player perfected to solve several issues with the playbook. getting that onto this baby will be a fantastic jump in its evolution.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-22-11 05:36 AM
    This is cool, I guess, but I'd rather have a native Kindle app.

I was an OS/2 enthusiast back in the day... One of the alleged strengths of OS/2 was that it could run Windows 3.1 apps [we called them 'programs' in those days...], and it did so quite well. However, a great many developers, aside from some diehard enthusiasts, decided that it made more sense to write apps for Windows, rather than native OS/2 apps. Consequently, the number of OS/2 apps dwindled, and everybody decided they might as well simply run Windows instead of OS/2....and OS/2 went away. [Yeah, there were other reasons, but this one was a biggie].

So please pardon me if I'm not too excited about the whole Android-on-Playbook thing. It might turn out to be a very negative asset...
    07-22-11 06:16 AM
    I just synced my account and all my books are here on my pb. With Astro loaded I suppose I can find the kindle folder and move books in from my laptop.
    Astro sees the kindle folder but I can't get astro to copy correctly. May need to get a third part file manager to do it
    07-22-11 07:00 AM

I was an OS/2 enthusiast back in the day... One of the alleged strengths of OS/2 was that it could run Windows 3.1 apps [we called them 'programs' in those days...], and it did so quite well. However, a great many developers, aside from some diehard enthusiasts, decided that it made more sense to write apps for Windows, rather than native OS/2 apps. Consequently, the number of OS/2 apps dwindled, and everybody decided they might as well simply run Windows instead of OS/2....and OS/2 went away. [Yeah, there were other reasons, but this one was a biggie].

So please pardon me if I'm not too excited about the whole Android-on-Playbook thing. It might turn out to be a very negative asset...
    I was also an OS/2 enthusiast back in those days. While I don't disagree with what you said, I think an even bigger problem is simply the power of the default choice. OS/2 was never really the default choice on a new PC (even on IBM models that came with it via dual-boot), so users had to make a decision to install it. Already, that puts you at a major disadvantage. (Just look at the dominance of MSIE vs. other browsers, until fairly recently, for example.)

The other problem is that developers really don't want to have to support a lot of completely different platforms. Its really a lot of work, and unless a platform comes with a huge market share, they aren't likely to bother. That being said, if they don't bother, that platform never has enough software, and never can gain enough market share.

The real solution is cross-platform development frameworks where you can just recompile (Qt) or run (J2EE/J2SE) on anything with the right support. However, no major platform vendor is going to support this, because its really not in their best interest for your application to be independent of their platform. So instead its left to 3rd parties, who are always playing catch-up.
    07-22-11 07:00 AM
    I loaded the kindle android app on my playbook and am reading my kindle library now via android player. Now that I have kindle and pop mail, my playbook is (almost) complete.
    I have never installed leaked Roms, beta software or otherwise messed around with the insides of my stuff for fear or turning them into paperweights! But to finally have a Kindle App and my precious library on my PB, I'm willing to try it out!

Here goes...
    07-22-11 07:03 AM
    Astro sees the kindle folder but I can't get astro to copy correctly. May need to get a third part file manager to do it
    No file manager will work, we do not have the necessary permissions to write to the kindle folder.
    07-22-11 07:46 AM
    I have always suspected that Amazon's silence ever since their initial announcement about a Playbook Kindle app is because they decided to only release the Android version and save themselves the effort of supporting another platform.
    07-22-11 07:56 AM
    While I would love to have the native Kindle app on my Playbook, I currently have everyone of my Kindle books on my Playbook - dozens of them. Just remove the DRM with one of a hundred apps you can google for, then convert them to epub format with Calibre and drag them onto the Playbook. I have my whole kindle library and can read them using PlayEpub, ePub reader or SVIT-EBook reader.
    07-22-11 08:56 AM
    I have always suspected that Amazon's silence ever since their initial announcement about a Playbook Kindle app is because they decided to only release the Android version and save themselves the effort of supporting another platform.
    Or they're waiting for the Native SDK, which -as cool as all this Android stuff is- should be the priority.
    dkonigs likes this.
    07-22-11 09:06 AM
    maybe rim is just waiting to get the android player perfected to solve several issues with the playbook. getting that onto this baby will be a fantastic jump in its evolution.
    How so? Because developers won't have to bother with developing specific PB apps anymore?

I think you're being much too optimistic here. Most apps, and all the Android tablet apps, won't be able to run on the Playbook anyways, and it's kinda sad to see people so enthusiastic over the Android player. If you want Android apps, get an Android tablet... It'll always be better than the PB for that.

I see other people besides me remember OS/2, and I can't help but think that this is the beginning of the end for the playbook rather than something to celebrate.

Asus can't build their Transformer tab fast enough. They ship around 500.000 a month of those, it took the PB something like three months to reach those numbers. The PB sales aren't too hot to begin with, and with the Android player for the PB, why would any dev bother to write for the PB now?

Hope I'm wrong, but I think that Android player was a really dumb move on RIM's part.
    07-22-11 10:08 AM
    No file manager will work, we do not have the necessary permissions to write to the kindle folder.
    Anyone tried Root Explorer to change those permissions? (assuming root is accomplished/attainable). There's an app that can aquire root on some ROMs on the device itself but I don't recall the name.
    07-22-11 10:15 AM
    I remember Warp and I also remember giving up on it.

PCs back then ran at like 33 Mhz. So, it was hard to run Windows programs without a massive performance hit.

This android player already runs better than I remember Warp running.
    07-22-11 10:17 AM
    I figured out how to side load the books, I posted instructions here:

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...player-631887/
    07-22-11 12:24 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD