Dear OP: I have a Kindle which I love. I also have the Kindle app side loaded on my PB whch I also love. The Kindle device of course is a better read because the screen is easier on the eyes. It's sometimes more convenient to travel with my PB and laptop, leave the Kindle home. The app works fine, no problems. Give it a try.
    Barljo and Anke6831 like this.
    04-21-12 09:39 AM
    I do most of my book reading on my Kindle. I use my PlayBook for reading the weekly Economist and daily NewYork Times subscriptions. The two look better in colour. I was using Book Reader until I realized how much I missed having access to a dictionary while reading. Now I am using my side loaded Kindle app. It works for me and I am happy.

Cheers, Chris
    04-21-12 10:05 AM
    So because we have a "professional" grade tablet, we shouldn't expect the apps every other platform in the world has? I don't want the PB to be what it isn't, I simply want apps that every other platform has. Basically the PB is a great "professional grade" web browser as it is.

Its people like you that are killing the PB(need this app, then you should by XX platform instead of buying a PB and side loading or using a work around until said app is available). You should be pushing the PB as a platform and its many work around's, instead of pushing people to other platforms.

Surprised I didn't see your usual banter of "in before the lock" seeing as this is a thread discussing the PB's shortcomings.
    Take a hike bud...you're stalking of my posts, with your inflammatory and snide rhetoric, as well as your constant demagoguing of the spirit and intent of my posts gets real old, real quick. This is the first and last time I will say this to you; subsequent trolling of my posts by you will result in my reporting your posts as such.

Caveat emptor.
    04-21-12 10:07 AM
    Another user here where the kindle app works great on my PB.
    04-21-12 10:57 AM
    many folks want to make the PB what it isn't.
    That's how I get 90% of the enjoyment from almost any device I own. I push all my computing devices to get the most utility from them. Sometimes it is as simple as downloading an app. Ironically my iOS devices that have the most apps available have to be jailbroken and modified with about 30 "unauthorized" changes before they become a pleasure for me to use. And I do love my iOS devices. So far sideloading the kindle app is the only "unauthorized" change I have made to the playbook and I enjoy it more than iOS. My physical kindle touch mostly sits on a shelf. But if I want to sit by the pool and read this summer I'll probably break it out and give it some use since it has that nice sunlight readable e-paper. Although I may get one of the new nooks that have e-paper that glows in the dark and is sunlight readable during the day. Using a book light with a kindle is not fun.
    Harryl6134 likes this.
    04-21-12 12:08 PM
    Sideloading doesn't necessarily mess up your playbook, especially if you are getting them off goodereader.com or other websites where others have tested the converted app for you.
    04-21-12 03:16 PM
    I have an $80 Kobo eReader for reading on the beach and for its sd card slot. You need the eInk screen for outdoor reading. The color eReaders like Kindle fire and playbook are no good in sunlight.
    I mostly use library books at home. If I was a commuter, I,d probably use the eReader or the PB if I had a phone to bridge.
    04-21-12 05:29 PM
    I do most of my book reading on my Kindle. I use my PlayBook for reading the weekly Economist and daily NewYork Times subscriptions. The two look better in colour. I was using Book Reader until I realized how much I missed having access to a dictionary while reading. Now I am using my side loaded Kindle app. It works for me and I am happy.

Cheers, Chris
    Are you getting colour when using the Kindle app on your Playbook?
    Pictures are just black and white on mine.
    littd likes this.
    04-21-12 05:43 PM
    Are you getting colour when using the Kindle app on your Playbook?
    Pictures are just black and white on mine.
    Yes I am getting colour photos but I am reading material that has colour photos. Reading the digital edition of the Economist is just like reading a physical copy. Now if I read the same file on my hardware Kindle everything is black & white as that is all my Kindle is capable of. If the source material is black & white, that is what the Kindle app also displays. Hopefully this makes sense.

Cheers, Chris
    04-21-12 06:02 PM
    Hi ,
    I am new to crackberry. I am planning to buy a Playbook but the availability of kindle app for PB will an important role in this decision.
    Where can I get this app?

Regards,
    KM
    The correct answer is that there is no native Kindle app for Playbook - which I believe is what you meant. However there is a workaround that will enable you to get it and the process by which you do so is called "sideloading." You can read about what that means from the various links sent you.

Be aware that you "sideload" to your Playbook at your own risk. Some people have had issues with sideloading, others have had none at all. You should know what you are doing. You should also be aware that sideloading may not be available in the future (as per RIM) - which will have implications on sideloaded apps (particularly upgrades) unless/until confirmed otherwise.

Personally I won't sideload anything to my Playbook neither would I suggest sideloading to a complete Playbook newbie without the caveat that you are on your own if anything goes wrong. Then again, others have had no problem so read all the info then it's up to you.
    I personally use the EPub app mentioned earlier as well as another called PlayEbook. If there was a native Kindle app for Playbook I'd probably download it.
    04-21-12 08:48 PM
    Sideloading is easy, and a newbie can pick it up quickly. It does not harm the PB at all. Some of the ported Android apps are buggy or don't work, so delete them.
    Many, many, many of the Android apps are just great and make the PB functional, which, in it's native state, it is not.
    The PB email client is crippled so I use a perfectly functioning Android client, in my case, Yahoo Mail, which implements IMAP perfectly and syncs with my contacts.
    I also use and love several Android book reading programs, including Kindle, several games, including strong and graphically rich chess and solitaire games, and a number of file managers, far more powerful than anything in App World.
    Sideloading is safe, and rocks!
    04-21-12 09:22 PM
    If you are concerned about the source for .bar files consider GoodEReader.com.
    They are a legitimate outfit and they have converted and inspected hundreds of droid apps and tested them for functionality.

if you want easy, that is about as easy as it gets. They even have a video of how to do it.

I read using Kobo but if Kindle is a must I help people sideload it. It is easy and fast.
    Anke6831 likes this.
    04-22-12 08:47 PM
    That's how I get 90% of the enjoyment from almost any device I own. I push all my computing devices to get the most utility from them. Sometimes it is as simple as downloading an app. Ironically my iOS devices that have the most apps available have to be jailbroken and modified with about 30 "unauthorized" changes before they become a pleasure for me to use. And I do love my iOS devices. So far sideloading the kindle app is the only "unauthorized" change I have made to the playbook and I enjoy it more than iOS. My physical kindle touch mostly sits on a shelf. But if I want to sit by the pool and read this summer I'll probably break it out and give it some use since it has that nice sunlight readable e-paper. Although I may get one of the new nooks that have e-paper that glows in the dark and is sunlight readable during the day. Using a book light with a kindle is not fun.
    I have an innocent question. Why sideload an app for reading, why not just use a native app?
    04-22-12 10:47 PM
    For crying out loud people. The OP asked a simple question about the availability of the kindle app for the playbook and how to go about finding it. Many people can't afford to buy both a kindle and a playbook. Is that so difficult to understand?

Now back to the OP. As a few of the more helpful posts have indicated, the android kindle app runs flawlessly on the playbook and does not impede the functionality of the device in the least bit. You should ignore those who say it does, as it seems many on here have an agenda to push. Amazon may never give us an official version of the Kindle app, so we are left no choice but to sideload it. You can find both the app and instructions for sideloading it on goodereader.com. If you haven't already purchased books from the kindle store and don't have a need to do so in the future, then there is an app called Book Reader in App World that is highly recommended as an alternative since it can play both .mobi and .epub files.

Now, if only this thread could be locked...
    04-22-12 11:28 PM
    I have an innocent question. Why sideload an app for reading, why not just use a native app?
    If someone already has kindle books, then they either need a kindle, kindle app, try using the limited cloud version or they need to learn how to strip drm/encryption. Simple.
    04-23-12 12:35 AM
    What directory do you download books to, so Kindle can import them?
    How do you get the jpegs to show up as the book cover on the Kindle bookshelf?
    (Kindle works fine on my PB, but the covers don't always show and I wonder if I'm using the right directory.)
    Thanks.
    04-23-12 10:30 AM
    If the Kindle app is what you want, you would be better served buying a Kindle or Kindle Fire. No need to buy a pro-grade tablet pc if what you're looking to do is read Kindle available books.

Personally, I'm no fan of mucking up my PB with unauthorized/unapproved apps.
    You're kidding right? You call the PB a pro-grade tablet PC.. Give me a break.
    04-23-12 12:51 PM
    the side loadeable Bat file is availble - see thread in Crackberry Forum Search Kindle app bar file - we use and read books with no issues on Kindle sideloaded App on BB PB and also have a ePub Reader for both Kindle eReader digital books and other books checked out from other various "public sources" and shareware sites.

No worries go for it - works fine, do not listen to nay sayers here within!
    04-23-12 01:04 PM
    Sorry typo Bat should be BAR file in last post
    04-23-12 01:05 PM
    You're kidding right? You call the PB a pro-grade tablet PC.. Give me a break.
    No I'm not kidding you, so no break for you. Go troll elsewhere please.
    04-23-12 01:37 PM
    If the Kindle app is what you want, you would be better served buying a Kindle or Kindle Fire. No need to buy a pro-grade tablet pc if what you're looking to do is read Kindle available books.

Personally, I'm no fan of mucking up my PB with unauthorized/unapproved apps.
    He's right. If the Kindle App was that big of a deal, I would go with just about any other tablet besides the PlayBook.
    04-23-12 01:46 PM
    Kindle covers are below the kindle folder

\\192.168.1.164\media\misc\android\kindle\covers

They appear to have the same beginning of the ODD alphanumeric name as the book but NO extension (no jpg in other words).
    04-23-12 06:47 PM
    Contrary to the assertions made here, the sideloaded Kindle app no longer works as well as it used to before the 2.0.1 upgrade.

A children's book that I downloaded for my daughter (who also reads it on her own Kindle Fire) worked fine before the upgrade; now it generates a force close message when I try to load it in the app.

Other books -- public domain or those with b/w pics (the children's book was in color) -- still work fine.

It's disappointing that the "improvements" to the Android app player have only made it go backwards.
    04-24-12 08:43 AM
48 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD