Hi ,
    I am new to crackberry. I am planning to buy a Playbook but the availability of kindle app for PB will an important role in this decision.
    Where can I get this app?

Regards,
    KM
    04-20-12 10:27 PM
    Try this: http://crackberry.com/kindle-blackbe...oid-app-player
    I have the app on my Playbook and it's been working for the past several weeks.

The bar in the above link is down so try this one: http://www.mediafire.com/?3derjri0iqf77gl
    ,then follow the instructions in the first link on how to sideload the app.
    Last edited by Hamp; 04-20-12 at 10:38 PM.
    chrisrobinfollett likes this.
    04-20-12 10:30 PM
    The android version can be sideloaded.
    04-20-12 10:30 PM
    If your new to playbook you need to know that side loading is easy as can be. The software on your pc does all the work for you.
    04-20-12 11:06 PM
    The android sideloaded kindle app works great, especially after the recent improvements to the Android player.
    04-20-12 11:08 PM

As long as you sideload it, you should have no problems.
    04-21-12 01:00 AM
    If you want to mess up your PlayBook, go ahead and sideload the app. I uninstalled everything after 2 days and would not touch it again.
    04-21-12 01:35 AM
    If you want to mess up your PlayBook, go ahead and sideload the app. I uninstalled everything after 2 days and would not touch it again.
    Well, I don't know what you did wrong, because I have about 40 sideloaded apps on my PlayBook, and aside from the android player locking up occasionally, they work great.

Kindle app works fine
    04-21-12 02:07 AM
    Hi ,
    I am new to crackberry. I am planning to buy a Playbook but the availability of kindle app for PB will an important role in this decision.

Regards,
    KM
    Regarding sideloading.

Take note that it means you are downloading software that has not been given the approval of the app programmer or RIM.

If you get a playbook you are getting it at a time where allot of changes have been made to allow more apps..

So I think it won't be long till there are more apps for reading kindle books.. As every week we are seeing new apps and android apps converted over to be used in the playbook android player.

Currently there is an an app called "book reader" which can do the job and is available on app world.
    04-21-12 04:34 AM
    As a staunch supporter of the PlayBook, I'll just throw this out there... If you need Kindle functionality, why not buy a kindle? Not a fire, but an actual kindle.

Don't get me wrong. I have a PB, and I like my PB. For the convenience of it, I have also sideloaded the Kindle app, just in case I need to use it - my experience is that it works fine, and my PB continues to function absolutely fine also. But I also have a kindle.

Getting a PB to read books is a little like buying a 4x4 for the school run. Yes, it does the job, but it's not the best fit for the purpose. I find it hard to read for long periods with the screen shine, but the kindle screen is far better suited for reading. I find the same result when using the kindle app on my girlfriends iPad.

To sum up:- yes, the app is available through sideload, but it's not ideal. At USD80, I would get the Kindle first, then the PlayBook in a couple of months.
    BigAl_BB9900 likes this.
    04-21-12 05:35 AM
    I have a kindle and a playbook. I just don't use the kindle that much. I tend to use the kindle app on the playbook. I don't know why that's just my usage habit. I agree with your analysis in theory but my physical kindle just sits on the shelf. last time I picked it up it was not even charged and it takes weeks to drain a kindle battery.
    04-21-12 06:03 AM
    Well, I don't know what you did wrong, because I have about 40 sideloaded apps on my PlayBook, and aside from the android player locking up occasionally, they work great.

Kindle app works fine
    I agree with jamesbond I would never advise a new PlayBook owner to sideload apps as I believe it invites nothing but trouble. In fact I have found few android apps Appworld that work properly.
    Last edited by BBplaybookJS; 04-21-12 at 06:41 AM.
    04-21-12 06:33 AM
    Hi ,

Regards,
    KM
    If the Kindle app is what you want, you would be better served buying a Kindle or Kindle Fire. No need to buy a pro-grade tablet pc if what you're looking to do is read Kindle available books.

Personally, I'm no fan of mucking up my PB with unauthorized/unapproved apps.
    Barljo likes this.
    04-21-12 06:37 AM
    To the OP do you need the Kindle app or do you require a book reader as there is an excellent native one in App World called Book Reader For Epub and Kindle Books
    04-21-12 06:38 AM
    To the OP do you need the Kindle app or do you require a book reader as there is an excellent native one in App World called Book Reader For Epub and Kindle Books
    Book Reader won't allow you tl access the kindle store. But you can download kindle formatted books from some public domain sites.
    Harryl6134 likes this.
    04-21-12 07:03 AM
    I agree with jamesbond I would never advise a new PlayBook owner to sideload apps as I believe it invites nothing but trouble. In fact I have found few android apps Appworld that work properly.
    Kindle app is one that works well sideloaded. it is one of my most used apps

Sent from my BlackBerry Runtime for Android Apps using Tapatalk
    04-21-12 07:05 AM
    I have about 15 side loaded android apps, all work perfectly(well as perfectly as can be as long as the android emulator doesn't crash, which happens once in a great while). The misconceptions that side loading messes up your PB is quite hilarious. Either the app works or it doesn't. If it doesn't work properly or freezes your PB, simply reboot and delete, no other problems encountered.
    04-21-12 07:15 AM
    Kindle app is one that works well sideloaded. it is one of my most used apps

Sent from my BlackBerry Runtime for Android Apps using Tapatalk
    I see you're using Tapatalk also, while that also appears to be a good program it rqn terribly on my PlayBook
    04-21-12 07:16 AM
    I have about 15 side loaded android apps, all work perfectly(well as perfectly as can be as long as the android emulator doesn't crash, which happens once in a great while). The misconceptions that side loading messes up your PB is quite hilarious. Either the app works or it doesn't. If it doesn't work properly or freezes your PB, simply reboot and delete, no other problems encountered.
    These "misconceptions" you refer to are based on the personal experiences of many individuals see some posts from the many threads on this forum, not only do many of the apps run poorly or not at all, so does the android player. Nothing hilarious about it. A better solution to reboot and delete is not that. Install in the first place.
    04-21-12 07:22 AM
    These "misconceptions" you refer to are based on the personal experiences of many individuals see some posts from the many threads on this forum, not only do many of the apps run poorly or not at all, so does the android player. Nothing hilarious about it. A better solution to reboot and delete is not that. Install in the first place.
    I was referring to the misconception that it will ruin the PB. Yes many of the apps don't work properly or poorly(no debating that), but there are many that work perfectly. The misconception that it will ruin or somehow break your PB has to stop. As you can see from app world there are many that work and its obvious that right now RIM is pushing these converted android apps to fill the "gap".

To each their own, but side loading in no way will harm your PB, other then possibly freezing the android player or the entire playbook for which a reboot resolves. Sometimes you have to break a few eggs to make an omelet, in other words, sometimes you have to load the "bad" apps to find the ones that work. Most of what you read as the android horror stories are simply apps that don't work and it sours people on the whole android app loading, side loading or via app world.
    Last edited by homer1475; 04-21-12 at 07:32 AM.
    Anke6831 likes this.
    04-21-12 07:27 AM
    If the Kindle app is what you want, you would be better served buying a Kindle or Kindle Fire. No need to buy a pro-grade tablet pc if what you're looking to do is read Kindle available books.

Personally, I'm no fan of mucking up my PB with unauthorized/unapproved apps.

Interesting that you recommend the $199 kindle fire over the $199 pro-grade tablet pc playbook. Wouldn't want to risk hardware overkill just to read ebooks
    04-21-12 07:36 AM
    Interesting that you recommend the $199 kindle fire over the $199 pro-grade tablet pc playbook. Wouldn't want to risk hardware overkill just to read ebooks
    Nothing unusual about that. Too many folks want to make the PB what it isn't. You want the 297 billion apps in Apple world, then buy an iPad; want the gazillion apps on android platforms, buy a droid. Want Kindle app with access to the bookstore, then buy a Kindle. It's really that simple.
    04-21-12 08:03 AM
    Nothing unusual about that. Too many folks want to make the PB what it isn't. You want the 297 billion apps in Apple world, then buy an iPad; want the gazillion apps on android platforms, buy a droid. Want Kindle app with access to the bookstore, then buy a Kindle. It's really that simple.
    So because we have a "professional" grade tablet, we shouldn't expect the apps every other platform in the world has? I don't want the PB to be what it isn't, I simply want apps that every other platform has. Basically the PB is a great "professional grade" web browser as it is.

Its people like you that are killing the PB(need this app, then you should by XX platform instead of buying a PB and side loading or using a work around until said app is available). You should be pushing the PB as a platform and its many work around's, instead of pushing people to other platforms.

Surprised I didn't see your usual banter of "in before the lock" seeing as this is a thread discussing the PB's shortcomings.
    Last edited by homer1475; 04-21-12 at 08:15 AM.
    04-21-12 08:11 AM
    I have a Kindle as well as the Playbook. The majority of reading I do on the Kindle but every now and then I port a mobi file from the kindle over to the Playbook and read with the native Book Reader. Works well for me so I don't feel the need for the Kindle app.
    04-21-12 08:15 AM
    Why does almost every thread wind up a pissing contest between people? Just because you've had success or failure doesn't mean that the next person will. This site is for shared experiences, not a 'geopolitical and material cultism' view as reality for everyone! As I've stated in other threads:

"It seems that most people in the forums overreact anyway so you're gonna run into those who are gonna troll, hate, absolutely love and defend and everything in between.

We (as people) are very demanding and want instant gratification. There's going to be those that praise a service or product before they know anything about it and some of those same individuals will cry foul and label it the worst thing to come about when it doesn't do what they want...as if everything caters to only them.

Just read, listen to all reviews and find what you need, not what the status quo always says, whether that's Apple, Android or Windows. A lot of times, you just have to be willing to be objective".

Can this thread be closed since it seems people aren't willing to help the OP?

"I come here because I own the product, not because I'm a fanboy!"
    Last edited by Hamp; 04-21-12 at 08:59 AM.
    FF22, Harryl6134 and jimpalmer3 like this.
    04-21-12 08:46 AM
48 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD