Mkv intact all files plays for me I went and even tested Hi10p encode and it played but at snail pace which is expected but still it played which was commendable
    12-19-12 01:12 PM
    sorry for the noob question ... but if I download this, I should have no issues viewing my .MKV files from my computer on my TV if I have connected the PB to the TV via HDMI right? I know I will have to download the desktop software as well I am just hoping that streaming the .mkv files won't be an issue (FYI most of the files are 800MB movies). Thanks!
    12-19-12 01:12 PM
    sorry for the noob question ... but if I download this, I should have no issues viewing my .MKV files from my computer on my TV if I have connected the PB to the TV via HDMI right? I know I will have to download the desktop software as well I am just hoping that streaming the .mkv files won't be an issue (FYI most of the files are 800MB movies). Thanks!
    I have this app like a week after launch, and since uploaded an mkv and a movie with ac3 encoding(pineapple express and sucker punch) watched at least half of both and both play fine. sucker punch its actually hd so its more that a 800mb movie pineapple express is a regular one so just the audio part of it worried me since on my ps3 plays with no sound x/
    12-19-12 01:28 PM
    I keep getting app forced closes everytime I press the "next" button, not the actual forward button, if you know what I'm talking about?
    12-19-12 04:32 PM
    The player supports mkv and works with other DLNA servers. What DLNA server does your NAS have or which NAS is it? Just for testing, try renaming the file extension to .avi and see if it works.

Regards,
    KalemSoft
    Thanks for your reply. I'm using GNS-2000 from LevelOne UK

LevelOne UK - GNS-2000 2-Bay Gigabit Network Storage
    It's spec. said that it supports Media Server (UPnP/DLNA). I will check it again when get back home.

Thanks,
    Hai
    12-19-12 10:38 PM
    I keep getting app forced closes everytime I press the "next" button, not the actual forward button, if you know what I'm talking about?
    Yes, this is a known issue and has already been addressed with a submitted update. It is just taking time for RIM to review and post the update. If you do this though you should be able to switch between items without crash (at least according to our tests):

1. Select an item from the list, press the play button.
    2. Press the stop button to end the playback and return to the list.
    3. Select the next item from the list, press the play button.
    4. Again, press stop button to return to the list.
    5. Now, select the first item again. This time, the next button will work without crash.

In short, if you play an item in the list by manually launching it from the list first, then you should be able to switch to it by Next/Prev buttons or by automatically in Shuffle/Play Ordered mode. On the other hand, if the item is played first time by not being launched from the list, it will cause a crash. Since we had played all test clips/songs in our list once before, this was missed during our tests and probably by RIM's too.

Again, this issue has been fixed in the upcoming release. Sorry for this inconvenience.

Regards,
    KalemSoft
    Bilaal likes this.
    12-20-12 02:48 AM
    Just want say this. From what I have read here and seeing the constant improvement with software upgrades from Kamelsoft. It shows these guys are video experts.

Kamelsoft is a fine example of what a model developer support should be.

If there were a PlayBook Developer of the Year, I would vote Kamelsoft.

Now, I will need to go check my PVR if it has DLNA and read up more information on live streaming.

Good Job Kamelsoft!
    12-20-12 04:43 AM
    Yes, you should be able to view your MKV files on your TV.
    I suggest installing a DLNA server rather than or along with the Kalemsoft server.
    I find the playback from my DLNA server to be faster and smoother than from the Kalemsoft server.
    Kalemsoft server is a great feature if you want to watch videos rom outside your own LAN or if you have devices connected to your PC that will be viewed through channels..
    12-20-12 05:00 AM
    Yes, you should be able to view your MKV files on your TV.
    I suggest installing a DLNA server rather than or along with the Kalemsoft server.
    I find the playback from my DLNA server to be faster and smoother than from the Kalemsoft server.
    Kalemsoft server is a great feature if you want to watch videos rom outside your own LAN or if you have devices connected to your PC that will be viewed through channels..
    Any suggestions for an alternate (free) DLNA media server?
    12-20-12 09:54 AM
    Any suggestions for an alternate (free) DLNA media server?
    Twonky.
    12-20-12 01:16 PM
    Twonky is actually trialware. I used it, and after so much time passed the dlna features needed a paid registration.
    12-20-12 05:06 PM
    Serviio

10char
    12-20-12 07:58 PM
    Thanks for the replies. It looks like I may well plump for this. I have a noobie question though. My Android phone has DLNA capabilities. Would I be able to play films stored on my phone's memory card on my Playbook using KalemSoft media player - just using the phone and the Playbook? I have had a brief look at this and am not sure if I need a wifi network in the middle to do this.
    Just in case any other noobie has a similar question to me I thought I would post my experiment results.

1. You can indeed install Kamelsoft Media Player on more than one Playbook if they have the same Blackberry Id

2. You do need a wifi network to play files by DLNA. I wondered if using my mobile as a wifi hotspot would work but it would appear that then I would have data charges. I will be travelling for a month and probably have no wifi access and was looking for a way to transfer or stream data from my Android mobile to my Playbook. It doesn't seem possible.

3. I have only briefly used the Player in Local Media form but it really is good.

* For me the addition of subtitles and 'resume' are the selling point and do work well though (I think it has already been mentioned) a button on the dashbar to switch on/off subtitles would be good.
    * Out of about 20 films I have put on the Playbook only one MKV did not play. This film does not play on the native PB player either but does work fine on my PC.
    * I like the facility to be able to delete films though when deleted the film 'still/image' remains on screen. Ideally I would like to be able to delete directories as I keep films or groups of films in directories (I guess this is not unusual) so I still have to use some other app or connect to the PC to tidy these up.

So a thumbs up and look forward to future enhancements.
    12-21-12 03:48 AM
    Wtf just Wtf I had isp issues today and despite having the app it requires to be connected everytime u start I wanted to watch some movies but couldn't watch until my Internet came back now this reminded me of AC2 pc port which had always online please make it run offline at times Internet could not be running
    12-21-12 05:14 AM
    Wtf just Wtf I had isp issues today and despite having the app it requires to be connected everytime u start I wanted to watch some movies but couldn't watch until my Internet came back now this reminded me of AC2 pc port which had always online please make it run offline at times Internet could not be running
    I think I got the gist of your 'sentence'. I had issues on one Playbook where Kalemsoft always asked for one time authentification when I went into the app. In the end I removed the app and reinstalled it and it now seems to be okay. I have just rebooted the PB and tested in airplane mode and all seems to be well.
    12-21-12 06:11 AM
    What is the difference between Kalemsoft Media Player and Plex?
    12-21-12 06:35 AM
    This was mentioned in the thread before. That means your device is not fully licensed. You need to give permissions to the application from Playbook settings->Security->Application Permissions.

Regards,
    KalemSoft
    12-21-12 07:25 AM
    They should work. Have you changed the subtitle encoding? You should select ISO-8859-1

Regards,
    KalemSoft
    works great! thanks a lot
    12-21-12 08:05 AM
    What is the difference between Kalemsoft Media Player and Plex?
    kalemsoft is a media player wich can also stream from your pc or dlna, plex its more like a media organizer that offers similar stream features aswell while giving you acces to services like pandora, netflix, some custom channels like south park.
    I think you can't really compare the too except for the streaming capabilities which in the end they offer different methods too.
    one way to see it is kalemsoft is more like media player divx playe or vlc, and plex is more in the category of services like boxee, roku, and which ever other service I migth of missed xp
    Last edited by osbook; 12-21-12 at 09:57 AM.
    12-21-12 09:44 AM
    Great to know i can finally play mkv and ac3 files on my playbook. Im flying back home tomorrow and need to load up my PB with a bunch of videos to watch on the flight, and i'll be purchasing this app as soon as i have a wifi connection.
    12-21-12 11:17 AM
    The perms are there
    12-21-12 11:48 AM
    The perms are there
    Please contact us via KalemSoft Support System

Regards,
    KalemSoft
    12-21-12 01:07 PM
    Just want say this. From what I have read here and seeing the constant improvement with software upgrades from Kamelsoft. It shows these guys are video experts.

Kamelsoft is a fine example of what a model developer support should be.

If there were a PlayBook Developer of the Year, I would vote Kamelsoft.

Now, I will need to go check my PVR if it has DLNA and read up more information on live streaming.

Good Job Kamelsoft!
    Yes I mentioned a few days ago that this should be Playbook App of the Year.

A fine example of how it should be done.
    penny1970 and kalemsoft like this.
    12-22-12 04:02 AM
    Twonky is actually trialware. I used it, and after so much time passed the dlna features needed a paid registration.
    Oops, I have Twonky included with a WD My Book Live.
    Like lcohen999 mentioned, there is Serviio. There is also PS3 Media Server that is free.
    12-22-12 06:45 AM
    Alerts show 2.2.1 is there but when I go I don't see latest version
    12-24-12 12:52 AM
1,236 ... 1516171819 ...