Yeah, that's the 2nd edition. I have the first (Blue Rings, 1tb single drive) which doesn't come with Twonky and although I have Twonky 7 SE installed it behaves really eratically, freezing every few seconds on 1080 material and flac files. Even mp3 streaming can be problematic. Which is why I would prefer to just browse to the share and play from there. I can do it with my Sumvision MKV enclosure ok with no freezing. I'll try it with the Playbook and see if it works any better with that.
    That's too bad. I thought they all came with Twonky.
    The version on my drive is 5.1.9 and works very well with KalemSoft, WD Live Plus (TV box) and a PS3.

ES File Explorer will do what you want but it is a sideloaded Android app. It seems to work fairly well though. It will not stream .MKV files but offers to transfer them so they can play locally.
    12-30-12 10:12 AM
    I use es file explorer to copy the video I want to my PlayBook, then I use kalemsoft media player to play it. Even while the file is being copied, kalemsoft will still play it before it completes. I usually wait till around 30mb is copied over before I start playing it.
    12-30-12 12:44 PM
    I use es file explorer to copy the video I want to my PlayBook, then I use kalemsoft media player to play it. Even while the file is being copied, kalemsoft will still play it before it completes. I usually wait till around 30mb is copied over before I start playing it.
    A great trick - I hadn't thought of this, can I ask if es file explorer will copy files over 1.8gb ? Most apps I've found will truncate the file at this size for some reason although copying from pc to playbook wifi file share works fine

Regards

Damian
    12-30-12 03:22 PM
    Has Kalemsoft thought about adding support for photos to this application?

Or of launching a dedicated photo-viewing app?

I'd buy one.
    12-30-12 04:26 PM
    Has Kalemsoft thought about adding support for photos to this application?

Or of launching a dedicated photo-viewing app?

I'd buy one.
    I hope that's included in the next update. Skins, equalizer, a better MP3 showcase will be nice too
    12-30-12 07:36 PM
    A great trick - I hadn't thought of this, can I ask if es file explorer will copy files over 1.8gb ? Most apps I've found will truncate the file at this size for some reason although copying from pc to playbook wifi file share works fine

Regards

Damian
    Actually, no. It doesn't seem to copy over files larger than 1.8gb.
    12-30-12 10:22 PM
    trying to find a mp4 player to use as a media player for New Years Eve videos for dancing - will this do that and work off a playlist or folder or is it just for streaming. Most the posts refer to streaming content and not just a player. There's alot of pages to wade through. Thx

edit: went and purchased it - does what I need! thanks. Maybe later I will use it for more advanced stuff but now its for playing locally stored videos.
    Last edited by wet_coast; 12-31-12 at 02:17 AM.
    12-31-12 02:02 AM
    I gave in and did a security wipe, now my reboot times are down from 7 minutes to around 2 minutes. I reinstalled kalemsoft and during install and first run didn't get the message about security but in security applications kalemsoft does show up with two entries, access to files and device identifying information with both showing allowed.
    01-02-13 12:15 PM
    I gave in and did a security wipe, now my reboot times are down from 7 minutes to around 2 minutes. I reinstalled kalemsoft and during install and first run didn't get the message about security but in security applications kalemsoft does show up with two entries, access to files and device identifying information with both showing allowed.
    Glad the issue is solved for you. Thank you for the update.

Regards,
    KalemSoft
    01-02-13 01:59 PM
    Hmmmmm. Getting tempted but still reluctant! Hours of work restoring................

edited to add: Did a Security Wipe late this afternoon (Debrick failed for some reason) and Permissions of Kalemsoft are back as are Permissions for Pacemaker trial (which also was not in the list after I denied it permissions - major bug on Rim's part that you canNOT change your mind since the Permissions do not show up!)
    Last edited by F2; 01-03-13 at 10:02 PM.
    01-02-13 02:58 PM
    Wow.

Been using this more and more over the last few days and I am blown away how bloody good this app is.

Works effortlessly every time.

Love it.

Will this be updated for BB10 for the PlayBook? This is my 'must have app'
    nappp likes this.
    01-07-13 05:53 PM
    here is a wierd one!

Set my 9900 to media share via correct option.

went through app and opened my blackberry and get this screen. ( sorry its a pic of my PB )

[IMG]html>
    <head><title>411 Length Required</title></head>
    <body bgcolor="white">
    <center><h1>411 Length Required</h1></center>
    <hr><center>nginx</center>
    </body>
    </html>
    [/IMG]

No matter how many times I open the video folder, all I get is the same view even though there is no folder like that on my device.

The address as the top always says /mydevice/videos/videos/videos/videos.

The more I open the longer the address gets.

Any pointers.????
    01-08-13 11:50 AM
    I can confirm this behaviour. It does show the same weird path without ever getting to the video files.
    01-08-13 03:02 PM
    I think the bold 9900 doesn't do dlna but rather upnp, had problems streaming from the phone to my tv and humax box and was advised that was the issue.

Regards

Damian
    01-08-13 03:10 PM
    I used to be able to do it no problem from my 9900 to my wives galaxy tab using allshare.

thought the 9900 was dlna certified?
    malgpz900 likes this.
    01-08-13 04:45 PM
    Finally - DLNA support for my Playbook - thanks so much!!

I have the app installed and it works with my Netgear 3800's ReadyDLNA server. One minor irritation - sometimes when running the app and tapping the dlna button, my server isn't seen the first time - tapping server once - or sometimes several times - will bring it up. The dlna servers announced by my pc's seem to be found all the time though.

What reason would there be that the app doesn't see the server the first time - could you investigate? Other than that GREAT app! Now, if only you would port it so I could use it on my Bold 9700..........

Would love a feature that would display photos from the dlna server and a graphic equalizer if possible.
    01-09-13 07:59 AM
    Been reading this thread and weighing up whether to take the plunge (even on sale �5 seemed like a lot without a trial). Got to the DLNA update and it seemed I'd be able to stream from my humax fox t2 and watch video with multiple audio streams on my playbook. Took the plunge and I have to say...WHAT AN APP!

Picked up the humax as a server and streamed straight away. I copied an old Red Dwarf episode with dvd commentary on that neither the playbook native player or the humax could handle and the app picked it up and played from it the humax hdd with no problem. Commentary on or off? Your choice. Very impressed indeed.
    01-09-13 02:15 PM
    Been reading this thread and weighing up whether to take the plunge (even on sale �5 seemed like a lot without a trial). Got to the DLNA update and it seemed I'd be able to stream from my humax fox t2 and watch video with multiple audio streams on my playbook. Took the plunge and I have to say...WHAT AN APP!

Picked up the humax as a server and streamed straight away. I copied an old Red Dwarf episode with dvd commentary on that neither the playbook native player or the humax could handle and the app picked it up and played from it the humax hdd with no problem. Commentary on or off? Your choice. Very impressed indeed.
    See my posts earlier :-) Kalemsoft on the playbook with the humax fox t 2 is amazing, I have the HDR Fox T 2 with custom firmware which means I installed unprotect (removes flag from HD recordings) they then also stream via DLNA and Kalemsoft works beautifully with it ! seriously outperforms my ipad 2 which chokes on the HD streams.

Kalemsoft are also working on the DVB subtitle support - I love my playbook with kalemsoft media player - definitely my media device of choice!
    01-09-13 04:08 PM
    It was your references to use with your Humax in previous posts that made my mind up. Wasn't sure exactly how it would work but it honestly couldn't be simpler. Tap through folders to the video you want and you're away.
    01-10-13 05:26 AM
    On the BB app world site there were comments how they can stream their content directly from their WD Live device to their playbook using the Kalem Player. Does anyone know if this is accurate and if so what steps one should take in order to set it up?
    01-10-13 11:07 AM
    Does Kalemsoft play flv videos?
    malgpz900 likes this.
    01-10-13 10:37 PM
    Does Kalemsoft play flv videos?
    Yes it does! Just found that out a few days ago...
    01-10-13 10:49 PM
    Yes, it does detect My Book Live when you are connected in your wifi.
    I just bought the app given all the good reviews. Now I can listen to music stored on the My Book Live just with the Playbook. In the past I had to turn on my PS3 and my TV to start the music. It's a lot simpler now.
    01-12-13 11:46 AM
    I only just got a playbook and this is my first app i bought. I have two problems so far.

- a popup that wants me to port forward ports 7000&7001 to the machine with media streamer. Ive done this but the pop up still happens. (streaming still works though)
    - i have added a couple of folders to media streamer for sharing but my playbook only sees the first two folders. Any ideas what im doing wrong?
    01-13-13 03:34 AM
    I only just got a playbook and this is my first app i bought. I have two problems so far.

- a popup that wants me to port forward ports 7000&7001 to the machine with media streamer. Ive done this but the pop up still happens. (streaming still works though)
    - i have added a couple of folders to media streamer for sharing but my playbook only sees the first two folders. Any ideas what im doing wrong?
    That popup means your streamer is not visible outside your network, so probably you won't be able to stream to a location outside your LAN. It may be an issue with additional router firewall or anything that blocks incoming connections to your network from outside world.

Are non-visible folders any different than visible ones in terms of their properties? Such as, are they on a different drive, are they shortcuts, etc.? Not that these won't work, but they may help us understand the issue better.

Regards,
    KalemSoft
    01-13-13 05:07 AM
1,236 ... 1819202122 ...