Both Kalemsoft Media Player and the native player can play this video on my playbook (OS 2.1.0.1088). They both skip the last two seconds of the sample. Kalemsoft shows subtitles as well, but with formatting tags <i></i> visible in front and behind every sentence.
    11-16-12 10:07 AM
    Hi,

I've attached a small sample of the type that the native player doesn't recognize

If anyone out there could try the attached to see whether the Kalemsoft player can play it, I'd be very grateful

- just rename "mkv extract.zip" to "mkv extract.mkv" (wouldn't let me attach an mkv format file)

Thanks
    Chris
    just tested this for you... works perfectly on KalemSoft Media Player...
    11-16-12 10:50 AM
    Hi

Thanks NoraMelua & dimmOK for testing that file.

I trimmed the original file with mkvmerge by a couple of minutes to create a new version and it now plays ok in the native player

Must have been something in the original file that confused the native player

Cheers
    Chris
    11-16-12 11:17 PM
    suggestion. please put your app on sale or offer demo. I would like to try it but $6.99 seems high

Sent from Blackberry Playbook using TapaTalk 2
    11-17-12 10:42 AM
    suggestion. please put your app on sale or offer demo. I would like to try it but $6.99 seems high

Lucky you. Thanks to RIMs imaginative pricing I had to pay �7 ($10).

Any chance of proper NAS support?
    11-17-12 11:51 AM
    The development for NAS support is 80% complete but it appears Playbook with the latest OS update is blocking SSDP port 1900 which causes device discovery to fail. There is a free UPNP app on the market and it also fails to discover our servers most probably for the same reason. We are wondering if anyone had success discovering their UPNP/DLNA servers with similar apps on Playbook before using the latest Tablet OS release. Note that we are not asking for successful streaming, only an app that lists the available servers.

Regards,
    KalemSoft
    11-18-12 02:04 PM
    I run the Samsung PCShare Manager Software and my PB sees the Server and the TV through UPNPlayer app. But it doesn't see the folders.
    I also had Samsung Allshare on my PC and the PB sees it and the shared folder and files. This is also using the UPNPlayer app.
    The media share function on my Torch 9810 also is visible with that app.
    Hope this helps.
    11-18-12 09:41 PM
    Hi I just tried upnplayer with my playbook on latest os and it let's me see my dlna devices (humax hdr fox t 2 and xbox running xbmc)

So that app appears to discover devices, it didn't discover my bold 9900 which I enabled the media server + connected to wifi.

It also let me browse folders but didn't show any content except folders - but I've never had any luck with upnplayer and I think the discovery not playback was the question

Regards

Damian
    11-19-12 12:22 AM
    What is the exact Playbook model you have and what is the OS version on it? We have 16GB with 2.1.0.1088. We tried with Samsung PC Share Manager and UPnPlayer as well, but no luck. Another device on the same network can detect these servers fine.

Regards,
    KalemSoft
    11-19-12 02:56 AM
    I have a 64GB with the latest OS, same as yours
    in PC Share Manager you need to go open the Share tab, click Device Policy and then allow everything that is denied in the settings.
    BTW my router is a AT&T Gateway that doesnt support DLNA nor UPNP.
    There is a telnet hack for this router to enable UPNP and i did just that, but it isn't reliably working. However server detection still seems to work fine.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Tapatalk
    11-19-12 08:13 AM
    My playbook is a 64gb wifi model, os 2.1.0.1088 build I'd 339713

Router is netgear fully supporting dlna

Will post a few screenshots later

I have previously enabled development mode and installed my own debug token but it was not in development mode when I tested.

Dlna can be a bit peculiar, for example upnayer didn't see my bold 9900 but neither would my ipad!

I have sucessfully used it on the 2 devices I see to my ipad with aceplayer so I use that as the benchmark.

Regards

Damian
    11-19-12 11:51 AM
    RIM actually states that Media Share is not DLNA but UPNP. I could never get it to do anything, even thoigh my Samsung TV sees it and the folders. But every file fails to show. Even just jpg pictures.
    11-19-12 12:09 PM
    Well I'm glad that i am not the only one that feels streaming/upnp etc. is a total mess on the playbook.

On a recent thread i started re trying to find an app that would allow streaming of media from a Qnap type NAS and the fact that none of them worked was made to seem my fault and not that of RIM or the application developers.

May i add I feel the blame sits 90 percent with RIM.
    11-19-12 01:06 PM
    Ok Pictures as promised

11-19-12 01:26 PM
    Well I'm glad that i am not the only one that feels streaming/upnp etc. is a total mess on the playbook.

On a recent thread i started re trying to find an app that would allow streaming of media from a Qnap type NAS and the fact that none of them worked was made to seem my fault and not that of RIM or the application developers.

May i add I feel the blame sits 90 percent with RIM.
    Total mess :-) i'd just say totally lacking - really poor on Rim's part to sell 2 devices that cannot communicate (Blackberry devices with OS7 media sharing and the Playbook), yes we have bridge but what a pain when I want to slideshow my pictures, stream my music and watch my camera recordings :-)

BlackBerry OS 7.1 Supports uPNP and BlackBerry 10 Will be DLNA Certified - BerryReview
    Last edited by damianiw; 11-19-12 at 01:53 PM.
    11-19-12 01:31 PM
    Total mess :-) i'd just say totally lacking - really poor on Rim's part to sell 2 devices that cannot communicate (Blackberry devices with OS7 media sharing and the Playbook), yes we have bridge but what a pain when I want to slideshow my pictures, stream my music and watch my camera recordings :-)

BlackBerry OS 7.1 Supports uPNP and BlackBerry 10 Will be DLNA Certified - BerryReview
    i agree totally with that. i have the same showing with UPnPlayer as posted in the pictures above. i can get as far as seeing the folders and files, but hitting the Play button does nothing.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Tapatalk
    11-19-12 02:32 PM
    Just went for it and ran some quick tests.

First of all the Beloved Bird Test (used for Streaming Tests) failed. It wasn't able to create a thumbnail and wouldn't start playing after Loading is complete. It did find out the Duration of the vid (tested locally).

Second I tried a movie shot with my Sony Cybershot HX9V (1080p, 22sec, 75MB), *.mts wasn't visible within the App, I changed the extention to *.mkv and it will start playing, although very laggy which made it uncomfortable to watch.

My final test was one which I call, "the daily use" test, I've bought my 64GB Playbook keeping in mind to use as a "Portable MediaPlayer" and will mostly be used for HDTV Airings of Weekly Released Episodes. Mostly 720p, 1,5GB, 45min. This worked just fine and the Support of *.srt just made it complete.

One last thing I would try later on will be "Internal Subs" within *.mkv's and movies between 8GB and 15GB.

Overall I'm quite pleased with this app, although I don't like the look of the interface that much, however it's intuitive enough to enable quick and easy usage and I won't spend much time within menu's anyway. �6,50 however feels a little too much to me, �3,50 felt more like the right price.
    11-19-12 03:57 PM
    You're lucky your not in uk where its �7.00 but I think the pricing between countries is set by RIM.

I tried a bird test video (thousands of them in flight) locally and it did play on the latest version, I'd suggest posting the links to the sample if you can or even better logging a support ticket on the kalemsoft website, when they reply they will give you a ftp site to upload a sample - they've been very interested in what won't play.

Regards

Damian
    11-20-12 12:09 AM
    I purchased this when it was released and have loved it from day one. I recently went on a long plane trip so loaded up a bunch of movies to watch on the flights. Found I had a big problem, when I start up Kalemsoft Media Player it always wants to first connect to the internet, I guess to check I have a legal copy? No WiFi on the plane meant no movies for me, well almost no movies as 2 would play using the native player. Anyway around this need to connect to the internet before it will let you use the program?
    11-20-12 12:51 PM
    Umm I've never had that issue, I just retested with wifi and bluetooth off (running 2.1.1)- played video no problem, and never has been - used it on many journeys.

qmplayer checked for internet each time, it put me off it and kalemsoft media player is a far superior product in my opinion.

Regards

Damian
    11-20-12 01:37 PM
    I purchased this when it was released and have loved it from day one. I recently went on a long plane trip so loaded up a bunch of movies to watch on the flights. Found I had a big problem, when I start up Kalemsoft Media Player it always wants to first connect to the internet, I guess to check I have a legal copy? No WiFi on the plane meant no movies for me, well almost no movies as 2 would play using the native player. Anyway around this need to connect to the internet before it will let you use the program?
    Did you give the app permission to read the device id? This is required to obtain a license. Please check from Playbook security settings and verify that the app has proper permissions given. Then, run the app once with internet connection and it will fetch the license.
    11-20-12 02:36 PM
    Folks, thanks a lot for the information. We figured out the UPNP issue. It was a problem with the router.

So a quick update. We got the UPNP/DLNA support working. We can browse files and stream them to the device. We will make a new release soon. Please stay tuned.

Regards,
    KalemSoft
    tryfe and JunkieXP like this.
    11-20-12 02:38 PM
    Folks, thanks a lot for the information. We figured out the UPNP issue. It was a problem with the router.

So a quick update. We got the UPNP/DLNA support working. We can browse files and stream them to the device. We will make a new release soon. Please stay tuned.

Regards,
    KalemSoft
    Big Grin :-) definitely like xmas come early!

Will it be possible to download to device in a later release :-)

Regards

Damian
    11-20-12 04:19 PM
    Hi all,

Not sure if you noticed, but the player is now on sale with 40% discount for $3.99 through Thanksgiving.

Regards,
    KalemSoft
    SifJar, adi_vastava and 991514982a like this.
    11-21-12 01:13 AM
    I just bought it. let see what this puppy can do now ! rik should feature your app on front page

11-21-12 04:41 AM
1,236 ... 7891011 ...