Hi,

Just got my first app approved!

For those who are still waiting for approval I can tell you that I submited it friday on Feb 24, so it took them 13 days to approve it.

My question is: How do I submit an upgrade to next revison? I hope and assume that submitting an upgrade is simpler than submitting the new app...

What are the steps?

Thanks,

Tom
    03-08-12 09:03 PM
    Hi,

For those who are still waiting for approval I can tell you that I submited it friday on Feb 24, so it took them 13 days to approve it.

My question is: How do I submit an upgrade to next revison? I hope and assume that submitting an upgrade is simpler than submitting the new app...

What are the steps?

Thanks,

Tom
    We have a few app developers here, app-developer and kerm-ed are two just off the top of my head. Give them a shout and I'm sure they can help. Oh, and the developer who's name escapes me at the moment who did the emManuel Bible app is also a member here.
    03-08-12 09:12 PM
    Just add another release, and it will show up as an upgrade.
    03-08-12 09:19 PM
    Hi jtokarchuk

By "add another release" you mean
    - fill all the initial info again
    - all the screen shots again
    - all the descriptions again
    - all the other info...

There was a lot to enter I thought there would be an easier route for upgrades?

Thanks for your help,
    TOmexx
    03-08-12 09:24 PM
    Hey tomexx, no, when you add the release its a very simple process, simply enter new version number, change log (although this never is displayed in app world, not sure what the point of it is), select devices this release supports and add "filebundle" which is your signed bar file. Once you submit it will create approval ticket. From my experience wait time for release approval is much shorter than wait for new application approval. Hope this helps.

BTW Whats your application?
    03-08-12 09:29 PM
    Thanks LinkNote,

The app is Lotto QuickPick and it's free. It's a lottery number generator.
    Please try it and give me some constructive criticism.

I'm very new to the app creating / submitting. I don't even know how to do the update. I guess I don't need debug tokens again.

Do I just compile the new version and submit the new .bar file? or do I have to register or do some other silly thing ?

I really find the entire process confusing.

Thanks for you help
    Tomexx
    03-08-12 09:44 PM
    I will give it a try later on and let you know.

No, you do not need to get new signing keys, etc... Are you using Flash Builder 4.6? If so you do this:

1. After you are done with all code changes increment version / build numbers in your xml config files.

2. Recompile

3. Select from Project menu Export for Release... ensure "sign" option is selected to re-sign the bar. There is a bug in my version in Adobe Flash Builder where I need to export twice - it does not sign it first time but always signs it second time. Since each version number can be signed only once it will give you error if it succeeds to sign on the first try.

4. The export process will produce updated bar file, this is the file you submit to vendor portal.

hope this helps
    03-08-12 10:01 PM
    Sounds good. Will try it tomorrow (gotta go to bed now).

BTW
    I posted the same question on RIM forums as I did here. Here I've got a few replays while on RIM forums I've got nothing.

I'm in KW - RIM's home town and I really hope they make it. Otherwise it doesn't look good for Kitchener-Waterloo area.

Thanks a lot
    Tomexx
    03-08-12 10:13 PM
    Hey Tomexx,

Just downloaded your app. Looks great. I play Lotto Max weekly with a couple of friends so I will definitely try this out.

Best of Luck,

Amin
    03-08-12 10:38 PM
    Just downloaded and tried it, really good app. One idea would be to add ability to export picks to text file or send as email. I could see this useful in group play scenario..

Have you good review in AppWorld. Good luck with the app.

What BB forum did you leave your question in? I usually get good response in the Adobe AIR SDK developers forum.
    03-08-12 10:51 PM
    I submitted the same day as you and got approval on the 8th.
    03-08-12 11:03 PM
    Hi,

What are the steps?

Thanks,

Tom
    hey, great news your app has been approved.

to submit you update i`ll run through EXACTLY how to dit it.

the first step is of course complie and sign your .bar file, naturally your build number will need to be higher in the build file otherwise you`ll simply get a response when attempting to sign the app saying that version has already been signed. for air apps its in the xml. for webworks apps in the DOS code to compile its the -buildId part you need to increment.

Note: ensure you use the same signing keys, as this will ensure it `overwrites` the end users app, where if you apply for new keys it will create a duplicate on the users device. obviously you can backup your keys and stuff, so you shouldnt ever need new keys.

Also as you mention the debug token, thats linked to your keys and your device which you test on. debug tokens arent anything end user related so its not going to affect your submission either way.

For submitting an update to appworld, do the following:

1) go into Manage Products
    2) find your product, and you`ll see a + in the releases column, click that.
    3) select any export control changes in the popup if required.
    4) change the `version number` field to what you are going to upload
    5) enter some text into the changelog.
    6) click `add filebundle` ENSURE the filebundle is named EXACTLY the same as the one you are updating. this is how appworld knows to update the app. if your unsure what you called the filebundle, go to step 2 and you`ll see a magnifying glass jus below the +, click that then to save backing out from there you`ll see a `add release` button on that page too.
    7) continue the rest of the filebundle adding just like when you submitted in the first place.
    8) hit next, select for submission and follow until submitted. again this is the same flow as the original upload.

and thats it done. you should get an email in say 10-15 mins stating the release version has been submitted much like when you do the first, then you`ll recieve on when its live. releases go live automatically, you dont have to make them live like when you first publish a product.

Its really alot more simple that that makes it sound, as im sure you`ll find. also dont forget you may wish to update the text/images in the description too.
    03-09-12 12:56 AM
    Thanks a lot guys for all your help.
    03-09-12 08:49 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD