Well, I've spent a little time working on this today and here's just some teasers for you all. Some of it works, some is glitchy, some can be fixed, others can't... etc etc...

I'll just let the screen caps speak for themselves... (No, market doesn't start the downloads yet, but its progress.)
    10-20-11 06:10 PM
    Well, I've spent a little time working on this today and here's just some teasers for you all. Some of it works, some is glitchy, some can be fixed, others can't... etc etc...

I'll just let the screen caps speak for themselves... (No, market doesn't start the downloads yet, but its progress.)
    Just so you know, I loaded the Amazon App Store and it would download the apps and everything, but eventually it would throw an error stating that the Installation was blocked and that you can only install applications from App World
    10-20-11 08:26 PM
    Just so you know, I loaded the Amazon App Store and it would download the apps and everything, but eventually it would throw an error stating that the Installation was blocked and that you can only install applications from App World
    There is no good reason why RIM should want to prevent oppressed consumers from installing apps from a competitor's digital store. All RIM cares about is protecting its bottom line by giving preference treatment to its own store (and BB developers) . How dare they engage in anti-competitive behavior. This is a free country and we should be allowed to do anything that we please with a device that we own. Nice going Jim and Mike... Off with your heads and to **** with BB developers and security freaks. Surely the player can be hacked to make it suit my needs. Because what else matters.

PS: I just received the following email sent by a What's up user:

"I noticed in your to-do list that you wanted to include magnetometer control into What's Up for Playbook. Have developers been given access to magnetometer APIs yet? I only ask because while experimenting with the Android runtime within the new Playbook 2.0 software, I converted, signed, and sideloaded Google SkyMap onto my Playbook, and it works like a charm, recognizes the magnetometer and everything."

It will be a few weeks at least until I can get access to PBs magnetometer. Can't tell how happy I am with this news.
    Last edited by BuzzStarField; 10-21-11 at 12:19 AM.
    10-20-11 11:43 PM
    There is no good reason why RIM should want to prevent oppressed consumers from installing apps from a competitor's digital store. All RIM cares about is protecting its bottom line by give preference to its own store (and BB developers) preferential treatment. How dare they engage in anti-competitive behavior. This is a free country and we should be allowed to do anything that we please with a device that we own. Nice going Jim and Mike... Off with your heads and to **** with BB developers and security freaks. Surely the player can be hacked to make it suit my needs. Because what else matters.

PS: I just received the following email sent by a What's up user:

"I noticed in your to-do list that you wanted to include magnetometer control into What's Up for Playbook. Have developers been given access to magnetometer APIs yet? I only ask because while experimenting with the Android runtime within the new Playbook 2.0 software, I converted, signed, and sideloaded Google SkyMap onto my Playbook, and it works like a charm, recognizes the magnetometer and everything."

It will be a few weeks at least until I can get access to PBs magnetometer. Can't tell how happy I am with this news.
    This may blow your mind, but I am J. Duke and I sent you that email! Kinda weirded me out when I saw ur reply on here.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-20-11 11:46 PM
    This may blow your mind, but I am J. Duke and I sent you that email! Kinda weirded me out when I saw ur reply on here.

I always respond to support emails. I hope that I have not offended you. I really do appreciate that you told me about this. But I knew that it was just a matter of time. I hope at least some of you understand my point of view on this issue.
    technomensch likes this.
    10-21-11 12:06 AM
    I always respond to support emails. I hope that I have not offended you. I really do appreciate that you told me about this. But I knew that it was just a matter of time. I hope at least some of you understand my point of view on this issue.
    Not offended in in the slightest, I just thought it was a neat coincidence. TAT UI framework available by the end of NOV and NDK 2.0 available soon. Hopefully then Native developers will gain access to the magnetometer. Do u know C++?

10-21-11 10:07 AM
    Not offended in in the slightest, I just thought it was a neat coincidence. TAT UI framework available by the end of NOV and NDK 2.0 available soon. Homefully then Bative developers will gain access to the magnetometer. Do u know C++?

I am primarily a Java programmer so jumping to C++ is no big deal - just as jumping to AIR/AS3 was no big deal. A good developer can make even "inferior" platforms do amazing things. My first AIR app is quite good,, if I do say so myself. I don't feel limited in any way by the platform and fully intend to support What's up going forward.

Having said that, I really do not relish the prospect of having to compete directly with Google Sky at this particular moment in my app's evolution. Nothing personal, but I hope that HaTaX fails in his attempt to open the player to Android Market. Google has vast resources and has a 2-year head start on me. In addition, I have to wait a bit longer for a Native Extension to become available because NDK 2.0 has not been released yet. So in the eyes of potential customers my app may appear to be "overpriced" when compared to Google's free product. In my world, David never beats Goliath so I am more than a bit worried.

BTW, I neglected to thank you for purchasing my app and supporting independent developers on this platform. Believe me, we need all the help we can get. I hope that others will consider trying What's up
    bermont likes this.
    10-21-11 10:35 AM
    I am primarily a Java programmer so jumping to C++ is no big deal - just as jumping to AIR/AS3 was no big deal. A good developer can make even "inferior" platforms do amazing things. My first AIR app is quite good,, if I do say so myself. I don't feel limited in any way by the platform and fully intend to support What's up going forward.

Having said that, I really do not relish the prospect of having to compete directly with Google Sky at this particular moment in my app's evolution. Nothing personal, but I hope that HaTaX fails in his attempt to open the player to Android Market. Google has vast resources and has a 2-year head start on me. In addition, I have to wait a bit longer for a Native Extension to become available because NDK 2.0 has not been released yet. So in the eyes of potential customers my app may appear to be "overpriced" when compared to Google's free product. In my world, David never beats Goliath so I am more than a bit worried.

BTW, I neglected to thank you for purchasing my app and supporting independent developers on this platform. Believe me, we need all the help we can get. I hope that others will consider trying What's up
    I love your app, and with AIR 3.0 now supported on Playbook 2.0 I am sure the smoothness will improve, but I think it's quite smooth already. Also, just because I put GoogleSky on my Playbook doesn't mean it will be "available"... I highly doubt Google would bring it over to the platform even though the application does function.

10-21-11 10:57 AM
    Can you say hijacked? Let's get back on topic guys, I know we all love What's App

It is NOT anti-competitive to force people to use your app store, it is in fact just that: competitive. It's a reality of the business that these companies make money through their respective app stores. RIM has removed almost all barriers to entry for developers, they're going open source, have porting tools, new SDK's, and so forth. To ask them to also give up the revenue stream that App World provides is a bit much. It's fair, I don't see Google supporting ANY of their apps for BlackBerry anymore, they've been d*cks to all tablet and mobile users unless they have an Android device, so why would you want to support them as a user of one of those non-Android devices? Discuss

technomensch likes this.
    10-21-11 11:02 AM
    I love your app, and with AIR 3.0 now supported on Playbook 2.0 I am sure the smoothness will improve, but I think it's quite smooth already. Also, just because I put GoogleSky on my Playbook doesn't mean it will be "available"... I highly doubt Google would bring it over to the platform even though the application does function.

Everything you say is true and I don't want to belabor the issue with endless debate. I accept the fact that consumers have a vastly different perspective than developers. If HaTaX succeeds, more power to him. Let's just say that many independent native PB developers would be less that happy if RIM has not taken steps to harden the player against competitors' app stores. If they can't do this properly, then they do not deserve their much vaunted reputation for security.
    10-21-11 11:13 AM
    Can you say hijacked? Let's get back on topic guys, I know we all love What's App

It is NOT anti-competitive to force people to use your app store, it is in fact just that: competitive. It's a reality of the business that these companies make money through their respective app stores. RIM has removed almost all barriers to entry for developers, they're going open source, have porting tools, new SDK's, and so forth. To ask them to also give up the revenue stream that App World provides is a bit much. It's fair, I don't see Google supporting ANY of their apps for BlackBerry anymore, they've been d*cks to all tablet and mobile users unless they have an Android device, so why would you want to support them as a user of one of those non-Android devices? Discuss

Not sure but I think that you are agreeing with my clumsy attempt at sarcasm. I was referring to my AIR app (What's up) not to be confused with What's App. In no way was I attempting to hijack HaTaX's thread. I was just stating an opposing position.
    10-21-11 11:27 AM
    I can't wait to see this when you get it working. I just found your walkthrough on getting android market on the original android player beta. I'm assuming you converted the apk's from the GApps-PB-rev2.zip to bar files in order to get the registration and setup wizard screenshots.
    10-21-11 01:23 PM
    I wonder if I'm the only one waiting for someone to attempt to rip the Amazon Fire OS off the hardware, and it to run on the Playbook.

While Amazon may not have given us a Kindle app, it'd be awesome if they'd release the OS code.

Anyone who knows me that I've been backing RIM, esp in this hole for a while, but accessing all these Android apps are basically whetting our appetite to want more.

"Give a kid a cookie, and he'll just want another."

I wonder if the delay is because they are still trying to lock down OS for Enterprise use.

Just release a consumer version already and worry about Enterprise security second.

Apple did when they released the iPhone, THEN Exchange support.

Without hijacking this thread, if ATT doesn't release the 9860 soon, they're going to lose an 11 year customer.

Personally, I think I might wait for Android jellybean, not ice cream sandwich. I'll betcha that comes out before we even SEE, let alone hear a release date for any BBX phones.
    10-21-11 02:19 PM
    BWT- HaTax, the same downloading issue is true within the Dolphin Browser. It attempts to start downloading, then getting the error saying that the device is locked from installing apps outside of app world.
    10-21-11 02:21 PM
    Not sure but I think that you are agreeing with my clumsy attempt at sarcasm. I was referring to my AIR app (What's up) not to be confused with What's App. In no way was I attempting to hijack HaTaX's thread. I was just stating an opposing position.
    Heh, yeah, sorry I meant What's Up... and when I said "hijacked" I basically just meant that another completely different conversation had come up in this thread. All good
    10-21-11 03:05 PM
    HaTaX, you're awesome. Love the porting tools, and I'd love to see android market working!
    10-21-11 03:12 PM
    I was just wondering if anyone has tried rooting the android player?

It seems to me that RIMs lock down is just like when the carriers lock it down.

I dont suppose all we need to do is root it?

There is no way it can be that simple, right?
    10-22-11 10:32 AM
    this is great , replying to get updates on this thread
    10-24-11 11:54 AM
    I was just wondering if anyone has tried rooting the android player?

It seems to me that RIMs lock down is just like when the carriers lock it down.

I dont suppose all we need to do is root it?

There is no way it can be that simple, right?
    I'm not sure how we would root it, the phone manufacturers usually lock the bootloader - once this is unlocked its possible to root but I don't know if we can do that.
    10-24-11 12:43 PM

...just wanted to check in on the status for instructions to get to the point of logging into a google account... I'm not so interested in Market access as the ability to log into my google account to access Google maps with saved favorites, etc.. (as with the GApps-PB-rev2.zip fileset from the first Android player leak)
    10-24-11 11:57 PM
    Hmm, I could probably put something together a bit quicker if all you want to do is access the Google services side of things. Market will require some extensive recompiling, but most of the other apps it was easy work and is already done. Granted it's not 100% stable, but GMail works quite nicely as does maps and even navigation occasionally.

I'll look into making that a package, it will be similar to the previous strategy, but this time with BAR files to be installed in a particular order.
    SoUnCool and Mureed like this.
    10-25-11 12:21 AM
    @BuzzStarfield
    I will support your app, as I will support the efforts of other developers that bring native apps to the playbook (most blackberry users want high quality apps designed specifically for the PB more than they want free apps, but they are starving for selection right now). I'm buying your app tomorrow, and when I visit my parents' house again, I'm going to dust off the telescope I built in high school and "find me some stars"!

My personal choice is to compensate developers for going native, even with the many free options on Android.
    Last edited by lwaysluking; 10-25-11 at 12:40 AM. Reason: forgot to include who I was replying to
    10-25-11 12:35 AM
    Thank you very much - that would be greatly appreciated!
    10-25-11 12:41 AM
    Did you ever get a chance to look into the Google account side of things? No worries if too busy... just checking in...

Thanks!
    11-07-11 11:13 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD