I received my brand new PB 64GB yesterday. While waiting for it to be shipped I read a ton of threads here to get a head start.

But I have some questions which I didn't see addressed:

1. I downloaded a bunch of PDF 'books.' How can I organize them in Adobe reader (is there another - better - APP?) so I have quick access? Also, how do you close/open a (PDF) file and remain on the same page?

2. On Bridge, the browser is REALLY slow, and when I send an email via the PB the 'red clock' is there for a while even if the BB shows the mail was sent. Also, still on Bridge, it takes quite a long time for an email to open. And, sometimes while bridged the bridge icons disappear. Their description (text) remains, though. Weird. (Normal?)

3. Is the (WIFI) browser slow? Or is it just me? Even with all wifi bars videos, for example, are kinda slow.

4. Not a deal breaker, but I can see a smidgen of the red wallpaper when programs are open, in the top left corner. (Normal?)

5. On an Excel spreadsheet, is it possible to highlight a bunch of cells and see the total? (sum?)

6. Is there a way to download movies from a website, app etc. to be able to watch on a plane? (As opposed to streaming - ala Amazon instant movies.)

7. Do I need to save separate bookmarks in the Bridge Browser and 'other' browser?

I'm sure I'm gonna have a bunch more questions but, for now, this should suffice. Overall I LOVE the PB, but the most important thing to me is that I can have all my PDF's organized, and smooth(er) internet. Bridge (email) is a cute luxury since it's much easier to type on the 9930

Thanks!
    01-12-12 01:04 PM
    red in the top left corner usually means you have apps that have updates available.
    01-12-12 01:06 PM
    red in the top left corner usually means you have apps that have updates available.
    It's not that kind of red. It's the wallpaper peeking through.
    01-12-12 01:47 PM
    It's not that kind of red. It's the wallpaper peeking through.
    It is a notification. Go into settings (swipe down from top of main screen) and under Sounds & Notifications change the Visual Notifications from "Glow". That will get rid of the bleeding wallpaper.
    01-12-12 01:56 PM
    It is a notification. Go into settings (swipe down from top of main screen) and under Sounds & Notifications change the Visual Notifications from "Glow". That will get rid of the bleeding wallpaper.
    Thank you!

I cannot find the "visual notifications."
    01-12-12 02:04 PM
    see attached image from 2.0 beta software
    01-12-12 06:09 PM
    Ummmm, yea.... No where is it mentioned that the OP put the beta software on their brand new PlayBook. This option isn't available on 1.0.8

Thanks for letting us know of an option we can't use though....
    01-12-12 06:36 PM
    I received my 64GB playbook yesterday. So far it is a nice shiny paper weight. I cannot wait until 2.0 though.
    01-12-12 07:44 PM
    Welcome to the forum. Like any other product your PlayBook will take a bit of getting used to. It is not a perfect device but you should find that it is a very useful tool given that you own a BB smartphone. Having said that, you will need to become aware of some workarounds for common problems - at least until OS2 is released next month.

I went through your list of concerns and there are very few that have not been addressed elsewhere in this forum. You owe it to yourself to look around and and share your experiences with other users. Above all, I ask that you not make any hasty decisions about the device's capabilities or performance.

Here is a link to a starting point:

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...t-know-671764/
    01-12-12 08:30 PM
    I received my 64GB playbook yesterday. So far it is a nice shiny paper weight. I cannot wait until 2.0 though.
    Welcome to the forum. I am sorry to be so blunt but your comment is a bit of nonsense. Please read my earlier post. If you are not satisfied with the device after giving a serious trial, you should take it back to the store and get a device that suits you better.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    01-12-12 08:34 PM
    ...never respond to another post of mine. At no point did I say in my "quick reply" that it was the device's fault that it is a nice shiny paper weight. I just received it yesterday and have done absolutely NOTHING with it. If I NEVER do anything with the device that is my choice. I will attempt to find an ignore button, but until then please stay out of my posts. Thanks.
    01-12-12 09:10 PM
    ...never respond to another post of mine. At no point did I say in my "quick reply" that it was the device's fault that it is a nice shiny paper weight. I just received it yesterday and have done absolutely NOTHING with it. If I NEVER do anything with the device that is my choice. I will attempt to find an ignore button, but until then please stay out of my posts. Thanks.
    Just replying because I know how much you love it... Not sure why a person would ever make a post on a public forum and not expect it to be replied to, especially a post as ignorant and lack of information as yours was. Why even make a post that doesn't contribute to the thread at all in the first place? What were you hoping for?

Oh and the "ignore" button. Click the users name, then "User List" then "Add to Ignore List" I just tested it on you so I know it works...
    01-12-12 09:24 PM
    Well a mighty fine welcome to you. I saw nothing wrong with the response buzz gave to you. Your post sounded like another troll just throwing in their worthless 2 cents. A lot of other posters here would've just called you a troll and said to go away.
    ridesno159 and BuzzStarField like this.
    01-12-12 09:29 PM
    Welcome to the forums. Yeah, I find the bridge browser a little slow, but it works well enough for me. I'm waiting for a new router so I can get some serious speed out of my wifi here, but havent notice a slowness on wifi. I have noticed, on some sites, that it has problems when its using the flash players. Some sites offer html5 players that are very smooth.

The best way I've found for offline movies is vlc. Out side of that, if its a streaming site, your kinda stuck... for now. OS2 is coming, and hopefully the netflix android client will work.

I'm also kinda hoping opera will make a client for the playbook. On mine, I've noticed I have different bookmarks for the bridge and normal browsers. both of which are different from my phone's bookmarks. =/ Another reason I'd like to see opera on it.

The bridge icons disappearing happens to me as well. Doesnt really bother me much.

There are a lot of resources here. Hope you enjoy them.
    01-12-12 09:54 PM
    agree with kbz here. it was a legit response to a post. it is fine to call the playbook a paperweight, but at least inform everyone as to why you feel that way.
    BuzzStarField likes this.
    01-12-12 10:00 PM
    I don't have 2.0.
    01-12-12 10:07 PM
    Welcome to the forums. Yeah, I find the bridge browser a little slow, but it works well enough for me. I'm waiting for a new router so I can get some serious speed out of my wifi here, but havent notice a slowness on wifi. I have noticed, on some sites, that it has problems when its using the flash players. Some sites offer html5 players that are very smooth.

The best way I've found for offline movies is vlc. Out side of that, if its a streaming site, your kinda stuck... for now. OS2 is coming, and hopefully the netflix android client will work.

I'm also kinda hoping opera will make a client for the playbook. On mine, I've noticed I have different bookmarks for the bridge and normal browsers. both of which are different from my phone's bookmarks. =/ Another reason I'd like to see opera on it.

The bridge icons disappearing happens to me as well. Doesnt really bother me much.

There are a lot of resources here. Hope you enjoy them.
    Thank you!
    01-12-12 10:18 PM
    I posted because like the original poster I just purchased a Playbook. I purchased it because it was $299 and has 64GB of memory. The reviews all seemed pretty good and Blackberry Bridge sounds like a great way to get around a tethering feature with Verizon. We will see. I have not really played with it much yet though. I have taken a few pictures. Don't really have a lot of free time and I do have a netbook that I am much more familiar with. It was not a troll post. I own the device. Why would I belittle it? It is a paperweigh because I have not really used it. Unlike the original poster I did not do a bunch of research. I saw it was discounted $400 checked my account had the funds and pulled the trigger on the purchase. Simple as that. I just happened to do a search on Playbook and added my post. I don't post often and doubt I will start with a community like this. I did not abuse anyone including the two guys I am now ignoring who made personal attacks against me.
    Last edited by Azeron; 01-15-12 at 12:16 AM.
    01-15-12 12:12 AM
    Thanks. I'll be sure to add you.
    01-15-12 12:20 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD