I love my Playbook and think it's the best Tablet on the market.

But I'm disappointed that RIM didn't get their own apps ready for it!

Yes, BBM not being ready is very silly. But Social feeds too! The podcast app in addition is a poor version of the one on my 9780! I can't manually enter a podcast feed! The browser also lacks basic integration with a feeds app, mainly because there isn't a feeds app! Where is Social Feeds?! What about Blackberry Travel? Blackberry Protect? You give out a Playbook to every fart app in the Northern Hemisphere while you sit on your arse and don't get your own apps ready for release?

You know why Apple do well (apart from all the hype and cultish nonsense)? it's the "ah that's nice" factor. It's that sensation you used to always have with Blackberry when you'd think "wouldn't it be great if..." and lo, it would be possible. "Wouldn't it be great if" the Blackberry could see there was an RSS feed from this web page and I could subscribe to it in my Social Feeds from here and "ah that's nice", it's there, RIM have already thought of it But on the Playbook - no chance.

Now RIM are thinking "we'll make the best product and we'll win". Well, that kind of rationality only goes so far in today's tech market. You lose the reviews, you underwhelm early adopters, you generate no buzz and there's no one left to see how amazing your product is when you finally massage it into a top class experience.

I love my Playbook, I'll always love it. But RIM should have given us early adopters a better user experience by having their own apps (Social Feeds, Podcasts, BBM, Blackberry Protect, Blackberry Travel etc) ready for launch.
    I'm happy anyway, but instead of all the "ah that's nice"s I should be experience I'm having scores of little "where the **** is..." experiences, and that's not a good thing
    howarmat likes this.
    04-19-11 10:33 PM
    I agree on principal.

I love the multi-tasking ability in which we can do everything and the wide open web which we can access most things, but I'm waiting for the integration between apps and BB elements (which it can handle) to make things efficient and not blazing through O(n^2) algorithms just because it can. Pardon my analogy but I think there's a point somewhere in there.
    04-19-11 10:55 PM
    Agreed. I know RIM worked the user interface in Blackberry to a fine tune because it had to work within the available resources. And I know that with the specs on this Ferrari they may think this is not necessary. And I know it will take time to refine.

But... I think that RIM's own apps should be available and the user experience should avail of the positives in the Blackberry 6.0 448+ experience. RIM seems to me to be a very "silo'd" environment these days where QNX don't talk with the 6.0 people and Data VIZ are in their own Silo as are TAT and so on. The PLaybook (which is great and I love it!) seems to be the result of this silo'd creation environment where each part of the OS was built by very different people and each area is not playing intricately with each other area.

In time I hope
    04-19-11 11:30 PM
    Here are a couple of "little things" that have impressed me:

Power Button - this has gotten some bad press, but for me the designers nailed it. Tactile enough to find, no danger of accidentally turning it off, and if you centre your finger on it and press, it works every time.

Perimeter Ridge - at first I thought the ridge was a bit odd, taking away from the solid feel of the Playbook. Then I realized how secure it felt when holding it with one hand. And then I remembered the sensation of holding the iPad 2, how slippery it was and how I was constantly worried about dropping it.

There are a bunch of seriously intelligent people behind this machine, so the mud slingers, especially those who are paid to sling it (read journalists) should be careful. The Playbook is really good now, but a couple months of spit and polish and this will be a seriously great machine.
    MuruXD likes this.
    04-23-11 12:16 AM
    Here are a couple of "little things" that have impressed me:

Power Button - this has gotten some bad press, but for me the designers nailed it. Tactile enough to find, no danger of accidentally turning it off, and if you centre your finger on it and press, it works every time.

Perimeter Ridge - at first I thought the ridge was a bit odd, taking away from the solid feel of the Playbook. Then I realized how secure it felt when holding it with one hand. And then I remembered the sensation of holding the iPad 2, how slippery it was and how I was constantly worried about dropping it.

There are a bunch of seriously intelligent people behind this machine, so the mud slingers, especially those who are paid to sling it (read journalists) should be careful. The Playbook is really good now, but a couple months of spit and polish and this will be a seriously great machine.
    Just my words!!

- (There will always be one Wenger!! GUNNERS!)
    04-23-11 01:35 AM
    I agree with the OP - While I like my PB and I'm not going to bash it there are a few things that are frustrating. This isn't to say they won't be worked out with OS updates. I've learned to be patient with this (as much as I can) from being an early adopter of new devices/technology.

I consider myself to be fairly well-rounded with technology. By no means am I a guru but I've been using wireless devices for years. With this I think my understanding/patience for first gen products is a bit flexible then say someone who bought this as a tool and their first tablet. I think this is whats causing people to have a bad experience with the PB.

If I was a first time tablet user here's what would concern/trouble me:

-My device already bricked (just from a restart) - I was able to get it to work, but without spending the time looking into a resolution and taking the time to fix the only option would have been to return it. This isn't easy to digest for someone who just spent $499+ on a device for their first tablet.

-Small OS quirks - Battery indicator is now stuck on 100%. I've been using it moderately off and on for 6 hours and the battery indicator is still stuck at 100%.

There are a few other things that would really concern me if I didn't have previous first gen experiences.
    04-23-11 06:44 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD