Thanks for creating this app! I am looking for to give it a spin. Just curious if it will work for Hulu?
    Thanks! It won't work for hulu out of the box, but if this app works out perhaps I could create a hulu app too.
    04-27-12 09:14 PM
    Very cool man
    Just make sure to you say "Requires a streaming PC and a Wifi connection" 20+ times in the description so you only get a manageable amount of people asking why it doesn't work over bridge
    Fubaz likes this.
    04-28-12 10:05 AM
    Seems a little slow in the video, but it's very nice that someone has come up with an app that works around the pb's limitations when it comes to netflix
    04-28-12 11:00 AM
    Thanks! It won't work for hulu out of the box, but if this app works out perhaps I could create a hulu app too.
    Godd to know. I don't know about anyone else but I would prefer one streaming video app over needing to purchase two separate apps. Unless of course, combining the two services deminishes the usewr experience.
    04-28-12 11:31 AM
    Seems a little slow in the video, but it's very nice that someone has come up with an app that works around the pb's limitations when it comes to netflix
    There are two slow things in the video:

1) It opens a browser to netflix.com. Not sure why it took so long to load the Netflix page.

2) The buffering stage when it says "Starting movie...". For technical reasons, I currently need to buffer 4 chunks of 10 seconds, which means 40 seconds total. I completely agree that's excessive, and I'd like to reduce that.
    eprklims likes this.
    04-28-12 12:54 PM
    Very cool man
    Just make sure to you say "Requires a streaming PC and a Wifi connection" 20+ times in the description so you only get a manageable amount of people asking why it doesn't work over bridge
    Thanks! heh, and yes, good thoughts about trying to be as clear as possible in the description. As I'm sure you know, it's good to try and avoid the deluge of email.
    04-28-12 12:55 PM
    pretty awesome
    04-28-12 02:54 PM
    This is nothing new There's a few apps already available on
    Appworld that will let you watch Netflix on your PB.
    When I had Netflix I was using playon to stream on my PB
    here's my Youtube video watching Netflix off my phones 3G data
    I watched the video, but I'm still only able to use the playon from home and not on the road. I really want to be able to figure out how to use the bridge/tether to use my phone's data plan....is it something related to my pc at home timing out? or does the bridge take the pc out of the picture (that's my hope)? I travel a lot and would love to be able to watch Netflix from my Playbook...so I need to be able to do it without the pc. Otherwise I don't need Playon and will not pay to play after the free subscription. Thanks for the help!
    04-28-12 04:32 PM
    More options for Netflix is awesome.

I'd like to slap some of the complainers

Here is the funny thing about "SOME" people. They want someone to find a way to hack Microsoft proprietary binaries to run on a QNX (Linux) based operating system with only User account access. Get the app it into Appworld while accepting the legal consequences from RIM, Microsoft and Netflix when they find out. While giving the app completely free. And somehow magically getting it to work without any codec, buffering or speed problems. And to magically work over a bridged connection to an ancient OS 4 phone.

And after all that, these are the same complainers that will then give the app 1 star because "itz dumb, I need netflix account, not really free! SCAM" or "Doznt work without internet, SCAM", etc.

</endrant>. Looking forward to the app. I wish just one of these complainers would put as much effort into building an app for the PB instead of just whining Its too bad, because they overshadow some of the great reviewers and people on CB.

Ed.
    NursingNinja likes this.
    04-29-12 12:02 AM
    I'll stick with splashtop.

The problem this stuff is that it really misses the key feature of a netflix tablet app, mobility.

For example, I wa over at my grandparents today and had my playbook. being able to pull it out and watch something on netflix would be very nice, this doesn't accomplish that.

... although, if I could run the server end on a VPS with decent upload somewhere... netflix playbook proxy
    04-29-12 01:04 AM
    I'll stick with splashtop.

The problem this stuff is that it really misses the key feature of a netflix tablet app, mobility.

For example, I wa over at my grandparents today and had my playbook. being able to pull it out and watch something on netflix would be very nice, this doesn't accomplish that.

... although, if I could run the server end on a VPS with decent upload somewhere... netflix playbook proxy
    Whenever I use splashtop the video is un watchable and very choppy?
    04-29-12 04:21 AM
    Just waiting for the app to be approved now.

Improved the buffering time so that it's 20 seconds instead of the 40 seconds in the video and made lots of other fixes and improvements.

Hope y'all like it!

Tick tock tick tock... waiting for one's app to be approved does indeed take patience...

Will be curious to see whether the app runs well on the BB 10 Dev Alpha.

Heading down to the conference tomorrow. Anyone else going to be there?
    04-29-12 11:39 PM
    Lol! KermEd pretty much hit the nail on the head.
    @Daniel I'll be leaving to catch a plane to Jam in an hour.
    04-30-12 03:51 AM
    Lol! KermEd pretty much hit the nail on the head.
    @Daniel I'll be leaving to catch a plane to Jam in an hour.
    lucky duck.

+1 to what Kermed said too. Good work. People need to remember that it's because of efforts like this, that we have access to things that we previously were complaining about.
    04-30-12 07:32 AM
    My Flix app was finally approved today and I just clicked "Post for sale", so it should hopefully be there for you to download and try out. If you get errors about it not being available yet in your region, etc., perhaps try again in a little bit.

Flix in AppWorld

For those that didn't see my earlier thread, Flix is a native Netflix app for BlackBerry PlayBook. It requires you to be on the same Wi-Fi network as your PC. Hope you all enjoy it! I'm personally looking forward to using it when our 3 year old crawls into bed with us and wants to watch videos, or "bideos", as he calls them. Since most of his content is on Netflix, it will be great to be able to fire up his favorite cartoons.

For more information on the app, how to use it, the limitations it has, etc, see:

Flix Website

Here's a demo video as well: (note that the buffering time has been reduced from 40 seconds to 20 seconds, and that the long load time of the movie listing is simply the time it takes to load that page from netflix.com -- ie. it's there slowness, not the app)

Hope you enjoy it!

Thanks,
    Daniel

PS Can't wait to attend the developer keynote here at BB 10 Jam in 40 minutes, and to get my BB10 Dev Alpha device! The BB 10 keynote earlier today was fantastic! Will be fun to see if I can get Netflix running on BB 10 tonight.
    05-01-12 11:22 AM
    Cool, will try it when I get home.
    05-01-12 11:27 AM
41 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD