So the ipad has only now just had the facebook app released but yet the playbook had it from day 1. I know its only minor but to me something so simple like the facebook app take so long on a device that is soo popular and supposedly superior to the playbook.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-11-11 07:08 AM
    Thought the same thing this morning. Mehh its not cool to hate on Apple like its cool to hate on RIM.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-11-11 07:20 AM
    good observation. but i believe they had access to the iphone version..
    PBook SDK includes an HTML5/JS/CSS + Air/Flash environments that are quite appropriate, fast and easy to use for this kind of apps. I wonder PB development team used it as a "proof of concept". On the other side FaceBook has also improved their developments tools, making things easier.

I don't see the crossing between Apple's dev and RIM's one. They compete, dislike, use different tools ...

But I may be wrong, as it could be developed under other environment, just a "look&feel" thought.
    10-11-11 07:24 AM
    I downloaded the iPad FaceBook app last night & its worlds better than the PlayBook version in design & functionality. I have said many times that RIM dropped the ball by having the 1st native tablet FaceBook app & merely releasing a dumbed down port of the blackberry phone app. It should have been a showcase app used to sell the PlayBook but no!

RIM have got to get serious about app design & user interface if they expect to be taken seriously because the iPad app shows just how far behind RIM really are. Its not enough to merely copy the blackberry version of the app.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9780 using Tapatalk
    nova_8 likes this.
    10-11-11 09:07 AM
    Probably because Apple and Facebook got into a pi$$ing match over Apple's own social media attempts with Ping. Facebook probably wanted complete integration, and Apple took that away with Ping. So Apple got punished.

The PB could still strike gold by having a killer Google+ app, something that would get a lot of publicity in the media would be nice. But for some reason I doubt that RIM will pull that off...
    10-11-11 09:11 AM
    So the ipad has only now just had the facebook app released but yet the playbook had it from day 1. I know its only minor but to me something so simple like the facebook app take so long on a device that is soo popular and supposedly superior to the playbook.
    The problem here is that iPad users can make the same claim of the PlayBook regarding native e-mail, calendar and contacts as well as Netflix in Kindle. After all, (I hope) you know what they say about people living in glass houses and throwing stones.
    10-11-11 09:11 AM
    The PB could still strike gold by having a killer Google+ app, something that would get a lot of publicity in the media would be nice. But for some reason I doubt that RIM will pull that off...
    Not quite.

Google+ Traffic Falls 60% After Spike at Public Launch

Google+ is still struggling to become "mainstream" like facebook is. An app on the PB wouldn't do much good other than benefit the few PB owners that also have G+.
    10-11-11 09:14 AM
    I don't think RIM will ever release a killer app. The way they handled FaceBook is evidence of that. They have no idea what people are looking for & merely ported the blackberry version over to the PlayBook thinking that was enough. Sure, its nice to have a somewhat consistent interface from device to device but they're forgetting that qnx is infinitely more capable than the blackberry os & that users would rather see something new & improved, not the same old same old that is currently driving users away. RIM have to push the limits of this new platform but they seem to be more worried about rocking the boat. What's the point of all this power if their apps are merely text based junk that we already have on our blackberry?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9780 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by xandermac; 10-11-11 at 09:22 AM.
    10-11-11 09:20 AM
    For a bunch of guys that argue there is no need for apps, this is an interesting thread. There was no need for an Facebook app for the iPad as the Facebook website worked just fine. Imagine that... However, the new app integrates nicely with iOS and take advantage of adding pictures, for example, from your camera roll, which you couldn't do from the website...

There is no comparison to the FaceBook app for the iPad over the PlayBook. FaceBook, Inc. did it right for the iPad, and it show with the time it took to do it right...
    10-11-11 09:58 AM
    There is no comparison to the FaceBook app for the iPad over the PlayBook. FaceBook, Inc. did it right for the iPad, and it show with the time it took to do it right...
    The main reason of this quality gaps resides in what you write ... the IP app has been produced by Facebook, while the PB one by RIM ... never best served than by yourself.

Regarding apps being useless or not, it's just a matter of usage you have with your device ... BUT ... sooner or later, FB will have to make more money by its consumers, offering a wider range of services (as google did). Then, we'll be talking about Facebook in a cloud and all the eco-system will be to re-invent. That day I would not like being an (client) app designer ...
    10-11-11 10:27 AM
    This is kind of funny to me, I'm on facebook everyday since April on my playbook and have yet to use an app to do it. I'll take a website over an app any day.
    dalmondWR likes this.
    10-11-11 12:25 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD