[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NcQ_7ALmflE[/YT]

Is this real? This could be amazing if it is
    06-09-12 08:57 PM

Is this real? This could be amazing if it is
    Pretty cool

As you may know, iOS ports are actually not too rare on the PlayBook. As a matter of fact, some of the big name games and apps are iOS ports. In terms of apps I believe it depends on the actual app but with games I've heard developers say it's easier to port an iOS game rather than a game built upon the Android system.

Anyways, this looks pretty cool, I'd assume this is also what this video demonstrates. From just a pure guessing point and not checking out any videos I think what's happening here is they somehow got a runtime of iOS running on the PlayBook, I'd have to check the other videos as the comments state but that's what initially comes to mind. Really cool stuff though.
    06-09-12 09:06 PM
    Just goes to show I am not missing much not having an iPad. Thanks!
    06-09-12 11:48 PM
    Random YouTube account, two videos ever uploaded and a software company name that leads nowhere. I'll hold out for some more proof, lol.
    derekjdech likes this.
    06-10-12 12:16 AM
    Well, if you go to YouTube to see the vid, the guy claims that he's not simply porting apps over to run on the PB, but that he is developing a cross platform iOS player that will run iOS apps. Sort of like our current android player, I suppose. If it's true, It could be a pretty big deal. Whether it's true, I have no idea. Whether the player would have full access to the PB's hardware (wifi, camera, mic, etc) is another question altogether.
    06-10-12 12:26 AM
    There's another thread about it here allegedly with comments from the developer:

http://forums.crackberry.com/news-ru...aybook-729197/
    06-10-12 12:30 AM
    Well, if you go to YouTube to see the vid, the guy claims that he's not simply porting apps over to run on the PB, but that he is developing a cross platform iOS player that will run iOS apps. Sort of like our current android player, I suppose. If it's true, It could be a pretty big deal. Whether it's true, I have no idea. Whether the player would have full access to the PB's hardware (wifi, camera, mic, etc) is another question altogether.
    Doesn't matter.. Apple lawyers in 3, 2, 1.. that's even assuming legit. The obtaining of the .ipa files needed, not the API's will be questioned.. let alone the fact of getting it past App World approval.
    06-10-12 12:32 AM
    Simple. Screen shot video from an ipad edited and uploaded to PB. I say this because he doesn't show the app on the PB home screen and if you notice the first game. The title has 10 letters. When he swipes up, it looks like "video". Plus there is no way ios can be "ported" to BB. Apple would sue so fast it wouldn't be funny.

FAKE

FAKE

FAKE.
    06-10-12 12:33 AM
    Brine is very real guys.
    I was told about this project last year.

iOS apps can be ported to Playbook because the only difference between a Playbook app and an iOS app is the native libraries they call to (which can be wrapped).

Chris Wade had also been working on iEmu, with support for Playbook.
    Last edited by xsacha; 06-10-12 at 03:09 AM.
    06-10-12 02:55 AM
    Simple. Screen shot video from an ipad edited and uploaded to PB. I say this because he doesn't show the app on the PB home screen and if you notice the first game. The title has 10 letters. When he swipes up, it looks like "video". Plus there is no way ios can be "ported" to BB. Apple would sue so fast it wouldn't be funny.

FAKE

FAKE

FAKE.
    One thing is for sure, that's not the Videos app that he's running. When he swipes up, while it's hard to read the name of the app, it certainly might be "Brine", as the person in the other thread who claimed authorship of the video stated. The kicker is, however, that the app lacks the orange, rectangular videos icon in the bottom left corner that the Videos app has.

As to Apple suing, he doesn't seem to be running iOS on the Playbook, he's just created an emulator to run iOS apps. So long as he doesn't actually copy Apple's code, Apple couldn't stop him. I used to have Ubuntu running on my laptop, and there was software available that let you run Windows programs from within Ubuntu (most programs didn't work, but some did) and Microsoft never did anything to stop that.

One pic is a screenshot of my Videos app, the other I took of the paused Youtube video on my PC.
    Last edited by pacoman03; 06-10-12 at 03:44 AM.
    06-10-12 03:28 AM
    One thing is for sure, that's not the Videos app that he's running. When he swipes up, while it's hard to read the name of the app, it certainly might be "Brine", as the person in the other thread who claimed authorship of the video stated. The kicker is, however, that the app lacks the orange, rectangular videos icon in the bottom left corner that the Videos app has.

As to Apple suing, he doesn't seem to be running iOS on the Playbook, he's just created an emulator to run iOS apps. So long as he doesn't actually copy Apple's code, Apple couldn't stop him. I used to have Ubuntu running on my laptop, and there was software available that let you run Windows programs from within Ubuntu (most programs didn't work, but some did) and Microsoft never did anything to stop that.
    The Linux program is called "Wine". It the the free version of the commercial software produced by CodeWeavers (CodeWeavers: Windows on Mac and Linux with the easiest and most affordable emulation - CodeWeavers).

Considering there is absolutely nothing illegal or infringing about their product (which is essentially the desktop equivalent to an iOS emulator, assuming the emulator isn't made using any apple code) I find it hard to believe that Apple could do anything to stop it, assuming it is actually real.

Feel free to look at CodeWeaver's FAQ on licensing: Licensing Questions - CodeWeavers
    06-10-12 03:45 AM
    Brine is very real guys.

iOS apps can be ported to Playbook because the only difference between a Playbook app and an iOS app is the native libraries they call to (which can be wrapped).

So this video is real? And if it was how would the launching of apps go, is it like with the android emulator?
    06-10-12 06:56 AM
    As to Apple suing, he doesn't seem to be running iOS on the Playbook, he's just created an emulator to run iOS apps. So long as he doesn't actually copy Apple's code, Apple couldn't stop him.
    iOS apps can only be downloaded from the official store. Unless everyone who used this thing had an iOS device and extracted IPA files from them themselves, there's no legal way to get the apps (I dunno if even that is legal). There'd probably be some grounds for legal action based on this, but I dunno for sure, I'm no lawyer
    06-10-12 07:04 AM
    iOS apps can only be downloaded from the official store. Unless everyone who used this thing had an iOS device and extracted IPA files from them themselves, there's no legal way to get the apps (I dunno if even that is legal). There'd probably be some grounds for legal action based on this, but I dunno for sure, I'm no lawyer
    Not true. Jailbreak it and now you have many more apps to install from other locations. Cydia and Rock offer more apps
    06-10-12 07:15 AM
    Doesn't matter.. Apple lawyers in 3, 2, 1.. that's even assuming legit. The obtaining of the .ipa files needed, not the API's will be questioned.. let alone the fact of getting it past App World approval.
    Not really true. There's nothing illegal by (just) emulating any OS. I believe IBM sued other PC brands for emulating it's DOS to run Windows and lost. I remember some company emulated the original Nintendo in Europe and there was nothing Nintendo could do.
    jononku likes this.
    06-10-12 07:30 AM
    If it was this easy, why would RIM not introduce this functionality into Playbook OS or into BB10? It seems like a no-brainer. Why instead take on the task of developong Android's Dalvik (and then not even completely?) which seems harder because Android is Java-ish?
    06-10-12 08:13 AM
    If it was this easy, why would RIM not introduce this functionality into Playbook OS or into BB10? It seems like a no-brainer. Why instead take on the task of developong Android's Dalvik (and then not even completely?) which seems harder because Android is Java-ish?
    I would imagine it would be due to licensing. Android is open and iOS is not.
    06-10-12 08:20 AM
    What I described may sound easy but it takes a lot of work.

RIM have developed Android's Dalvik completely. What they are missing is a QNX wrapper for the native Linux (on Android) libraries (which is what Brine does, but for iOS emulation).
    06-10-12 08:23 AM
    What I described may sound easy but it takes a lot of work.

RIM have developed Android's Dalvik completely. What they are missing is a QNX wrapper for the native Linux (on Android) libraries (which is what Brine does, but for iOS emulation).
    Still, sounds easier to do with iOS as opposed to Android and the results would be better, no?
    06-10-12 08:27 AM
    Still, sounds easier to do with iOS as opposed to Android and the results would be better, no?
    Well RIM hasn't done it for iOS or Android.
    The result would be the same regardless of which they chose to do this to as both platforms run similar apps.
    06-10-12 10:14 AM
    Are they planning a release for this app ?
    06-10-12 10:42 AM
    Yeah that does say Brine on the window when he closes it, also you can see the last icon on his screen says Brine.

edit - Oh I'm a bit behind
    Last edited by SteveCoops; 06-10-12 at 11:11 AM.
    06-10-12 11:06 AM
    Yeah that does say Brine on the window when he closes it, also you can see the last icon on his screen says Brine.

edit - Oh I'm a bit behind
    Whoops i had my sound off
    06-10-12 12:16 PM
    Brine is very real guys.

Good enough for me, certainly looks like it is very possible. Very exciting
    06-10-12 12:22 PM

FAKE

FAKE

FAKE.
    Did you not realize that high performance games on the BlackBerry PlayBook are typically iOS ports?
    06-10-12 12:42 PM
35 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD