anyone knows how to install codecs on the playbook like ac3 filter ...xvid filters etc??!!
    08-13-11 06:27 AM
    I doubt it can be done at this time. I'd think rim would need to provide the method. Others may have other opinions. I think you will need an actual app that plays media with a different need. Right now folks generally use some converter to change the file.
    08-13-11 09:56 AM
    There is a QNX version of vlc player. But I have no idea how or if it would be possible to install it.
    08-13-11 12:27 PM
    Once RIM releases the NDK, it should be possible to port VLC to the PlayBook. (The PlayBook uses a different GUI framework than the current stock QNX, so normal QNX GUI apps won't run on it.)
    08-13-11 06:23 PM
    Problem with codecs is that the PB is most certainly using hardware acceleration for most multimedia stuff. Software-only video codecs at 1GHz may not be all that impressive (see many Android tablets with poor media playback performance).

Here are some of the earlier QNX multimedia docs in case anyone wants to get started
    Multimedia Framework Overview

you can get a head-start by grabbing QNX 6.5 and prototyping for a different target.
    Last edited by JustAnotherBeerbot; 08-19-11 at 12:38 AM.
    08-19-11 12:34 AM
    Here's some more QNX multimedia info on writing your own parsers, filters, etc.

Extending the Multimedia Framework
    08-19-11 12:35 AM
    I'm mainly interested in an AC3 filter as it won't play AC3 sound with any XVIDs and DiVXs I have.

Which is annoying as a lot of them use AC3
    08-19-11 09:39 AM