It was submitted to App World as communicated by AiFlex. To me that contains a message 'it's done', or at the very least 'it's in a usable state' which it obviously isn't yet.

I can completely understand now how the app didn't make it into AppWorld. I suppose RIM took a closer look at this than usual (like I said before, usually they don't really deep-test) because having an email client out there that doesn't work for many people is obviously worse than having no email client at all.

Anyway, RIM is not to blame here indeed but due to the 'submitted' status of the app it's understandable that we were all looking to blame RIM.
    Yeah, it just seems weird to me that the developers response to the lack of approval was that RIM admitted to them that RIM, themselves, "dropped the ball". Yet, this is the version they submitted to RIM (atleast I thought I read that) and we now see it just isn't ready for prime time, YET. Its easy for me to sit here and judge as a 3rd party outsider, but I wonder why the developers couldn't have just said the App had issues and they needed more time to make it fully functional. Maybe it didn't go down like that, but thats how I am seeing it. Kind of seems like they led us to believe it was RIM's fault. I'm sure 90% of us would have been ok had they came and said they needed more time due to the lack of proper dev tools available, or what not, and we would have been fine with that. I do not doubt this is a very complex App.

Again, maybe I'm wrong. Just how I saw it. Kind of bugged me how RIM got all the blame.
    06-01-11 12:15 PM
    Obviously people didn't read that part. Conveniently. Why would aFlex basically give this away in a completed state? Of course he gives away the prequel version, then requires payment for the updates. Makes sense to me, he's trying to make a living.

Originally Posted by AiFlex View Post
    Includes a prequel version of aMail to that released to Blackberry. This provides underlying functionality of aMail. This release doesnt have all the features of aMail full.
    06-01-11 12:22 PM
    Well they weren't giving anything away to begin with. It functions only for 24 hours. Which is perfectly fine of course because yes they are trying to make a living.
    06-01-11 12:25 PM
    I'm a bit boggled over the concept of paying to beta test.
    06-01-11 12:26 PM
    The point of a 24 hour trial is to let you see if the app works for you, before deciding to pay for it. By releasing a barely functional (or completely non-functional, depending on your point of view) version this way, they've convinced many of us that it isn't worth paying for. I'm just hoping that the next update will change that.
    06-01-11 12:27 PM
    I think you guys are really confused. RIM doesn't go through apps and say "oh well, this isn't of good quality, so we're not going to approve it." Have you seen the first VNC app another developer released?? That thing didn't even work.

The REAL issue, I believe might be, the SDK license agreement.
    For avoidance of any doubt, unless You obtain written authorization from RIM executed by an officer of RIM, You
    acknowledge that the License (as defined below) does not include and You are not licensed to develop, market, rent, distribute,
    transfer, license, sublicense, or furnish any software applications which modify, delete, duplicate or replace all or any material part of: (i) the email functionality
    or features of all or any portion of the BlackBerry Solution except where such applications are developed for and distributed solely in connection with RIM Handheld Products in accordance with this License; (ii) the
    functionality or features of all or any portion of a Synchronization Server or Synchronization Agent which has been incorporated
    by RIM into any portion of a BlackBerry Solution; or (iii) the functionality or features of all or any portion of any Distillers
    which have been incorporated by RIM into the Attachment Service.
    06-01-11 12:28 PM
    I think you guys are really confused. RIM doesn't go through apps and say "oh well, this isn't of good quality, so we're not going to approve it." Have you seen the first VNC app another developer released?? That thing didn't even work.

Well, hmmm. Duplicate the email functionality of a Playbook? Doesn't have any as of yet so there is nothing to duplicate.
    mscooley likes this.
    06-01-11 12:30 PM
    Well, hmmm. Duplicate the email functionality of a Playbook? Doesn't have any as of yet so there is nothing to duplicate.
    Actually it DOES. YOU just don't have it.

http://crackberry.com/blackberry-pla...pim-video-demo
    06-01-11 12:31 PM
    You can't delete emails...
    A lot of supported protocol accounts do not work that should...

Those two issues a lone (ignoring any other problems, which there are) make me wonder why anybody would buy this as it is right now. It's not better than even using webmail at this point.

It makes no difference if the PB has no other email client or not...
    06-01-11 12:57 PM
    You can't delete emails...
    A lot of supported protocol accounts do not work that should...

Those two issues a lone (ignoring any other problems, which there are) make me wonder why anybody would buy this as it is right now. It's not better than even using webmail at this point.

It makes no difference if the PB has no other email client or not...
    I bought it because it was only $3 and more convenient to open for my Gmail than the browser.
    06-01-11 12:58 PM
    And of course, all that agreement says is "without written Authority" which they could even have. We have no idea and it certainly hasn't been communicated. 90% of the people here have zero idea what is or isn't allowed in those developer agreements. We were just told a nice email App was coming, with an enticing video and we waited and waited and now we have... This.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-01-11 01:01 PM

Hah! Great find. Yeah that pretty much 'kills' the whole idea of this ever getting approved through the official channels. Even when released through unofficial channels this still allows RIM to shut it down because the app was created with the very SDK this agreement applies to.

Ouch!!!!
    06-01-11 01:02 PM
    I bought it because it was only $3 and more convenient to open for my Gmail than the browser.
    Yeah, I have no issue obviously if people want to buy it, it's your money. Just saying the value is very, very minimal.
    06-01-11 01:13 PM
    have amail working with regular pop account but cannot seem to configure for rogers pretty sure i have ports set right 110 and 587 i am sure i have the right username and password but will not authenticate anyone have advice or experience setting this up
    06-01-11 09:32 PM
    have amail working with regular pop account but cannot seem to configure for rogers pretty sure i have ports set right 110 and 587 i am sure i have the right username and password but will not authenticate anyone have advice or experience setting this up
    Make sure you uncheck use SSL in both incoming and outgoing during setup. Also, I would check your Outlook settings and use those ports. I had to play with the settings a bit and found those to work.
    06-01-11 09:42 PM
    using same ports yes ssl unchecked cannot connect what ports are you using ? also this is still under pop right ? in fact its a bit more complicated i want to pop a specific mail server that is not rogers and use rogers to send replies so it pop= mail.xxxxx.com and smtp = smtp.rogers.com......is that possible to do with amail ?
    Last edited by mfreedmn_97; 06-01-11 at 09:54 PM. Reason: more info
    06-01-11 09:46 PM
    hmph...i cannot get imap or pop to work with any email. only gmail. :/

waiting for update.
    06-02-11 02:21 AM
    Hi All,

As an official statement from AiFlex. aMail update will be released this weekend to accommodate new features, update, enhancement and fixes. We plan on moving to our full latest release by the end of the weekend. If you are having issues with creating IMAP or POP3 or activating your product we are addressing all of this bringing help features and guides. If you have purchased aMail you will be part of our latest release program and will be emailed directly. Please bear with us as we are working hard to deliver a great product.
    06-02-11 05:44 PM
    Hi All,

As an official statement from AiFlex. aMail update will be released this weekend to accommodate new features, update, enhancement and fixes. We plan on moving to our full latest release by the end of the weekend. If you are having issues with creating IMAP or POP3 or activating your product we are addressing all of this bringing help features and guides. If you have purchased aMail you will be part of our latest release program and will be emailed directly. Please bear with us as we are working hard to deliver a great product.
    Sweet. Can't wait.
    06-03-11 08:38 AM
    Sounds good guys. I did email support about changing my email address that was used for the beta account set-up since it auto picks the email address associated with PayPal. I never received a response. I'll be looking forward to this update.
    06-03-11 10:54 PM
    saturday, 5:17pm.

no email, no update...though becuase we installed this not through the app world the update will not be automatic.

but still awaiting the updated that they announced would be this weekend....
    06-04-11 07:18 PM
    Just restarted playbook and went to open the app. Got message to purchase or skip. Tried to enter password provided and didn't work. Let's hope updates are the cause. App kind of sucks since can only see gmail emails and can't delete.
    06-05-11 02:46 AM
    Just restarted playbook and went to open the app. Got message to purchase or skip. Tried to enter password provided and didn't work. Let's hope updates are the cause. App kind of sucks since can only see gmail emails and can't delete.
    same here. hitting skip works but i still want it fixed.
    06-05-11 02:51 PM
    Sounds like this app is junk. Looking at the screenshots it has a cheesy look to it also. I'll pass.
    06-05-11 03:19 PM
    Hi All,

Came and went. No email.

Also no update seen for the right click issue in aVNC.

Tim
    06-06-11 09:18 AM
222 ... 34567 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD