I had a few excited people message me this week, curious why all the new high quality apps stopped coming out.

I just want to drop a line to explain for those who are unaware. And what's happening on the platforms. There are lots of apps but you can't see em (yet).

BB5/6/7 OS Users:

Your OS is not compatible with any BB10 SDK *except* for WebWorks. Which means most of the power apps won't be backported to you guys.

Expect some WebWorks apps.

PlayBook Users:

All the major PB developers have moved onto BB10 Gold SDKs. Many of these are very difficult to keep on the same computer as the PB SDK (AS3 for example). Additionally a lot of the proprietary APIs have been drastically changed in BB10 - so a lot of these apps can't be back ported without major rework. For example, Secure Browser has over 3,000 lines of code changes for BB10 that would break on the PB using OS 2.x.

Expect Android Ports, WebWorks apps.

This won't change until summer when the PB gets BB10. At that point developers will need to rework their BB10 apps from a higher resolution small screen to a lower resolution large screen (bad screen ratio change for fonts etc)

Dev Alpha:

All dev alphas will experience a remote kill at launch and be brought back to RIM for recycling.

In the meantime a lot of the heavy hitters have apps sitting in a holding pattern and some of these apps simply won't be ported to PB BB10 unless they sell really well during BB10.

Portability:

The easiest apps to move from one OS to the next are currently Android ports as they have required no SDK modifications from OS 2.x to BB10. I recommend new developers consider building for Android and signing to PB. Its traditionally less rework on each OS release by RIM as the APIs do not experience frequent changes.

Hold tight, apps are coming. We just can't see em all yet!

Ed

Sent from my BlackBerry 9360 using Tapatalk
    01-03-13 11:00 PM
    what about games ? say ab star wars ?

Sent from Blackberry Playbook using TapaTalk 2
    01-03-13 11:25 PM
    I saw you mention bb10 for the PB being released in summer a couple weeks ago, i dont think many other saw that though. How confident are you will that date? I know that you were told that by people at RIM so i am guessing fairly sure.
    01-03-13 11:41 PM
    Now wait is even more difficult. Now it's not only OS but apps as well.
    01-04-13 08:32 AM
    I saw you mention bb10 for the PB being released in summer a couple weeks ago, i dont think many other saw that though. How confident are you will that date? I know that you were told that by people at RIM so i am guessing fairly sure.
    Oh, good, by Summer I will have finally restored dozens of apps to my recently Security Wiped (yesterday) PB!!! Not kidding, restoring apps from Appworld is the most tedious process. Go to UNinstalled, find an app in the alpha list. Click REinstall, now you are in the INstalled screen. Go back to UNinstalled, wade through alpha list, find another, tap, cycle over and over and over.

I hope that BB10 handles this differently or allows DM to deal with one, two, multiple, all app backups and reinstalls.
    BSFA2008 and Sansu94 like this.
    01-04-13 12:07 PM
    Oh, good, by Summer I will have finally restored dozens of apps to my recently Security Wiped (yesterday) PB!!! Not kidding, restoring apps from Appworld is the most tedious process. Go to UNinstalled, find an app in the alpha list. Click REinstall, now you are in the INstalled screen. Go back to UNinstalled, wade through alpha list, find another, tap, cycle over and over and over.

I hope that BB10 handles this differently or allows DM to deal with one, two, multiple, all app backups and reinstalls.
    it has to better because its atrocious on the PB.
    01-04-13 12:17 PM
    "Why all the new high quality apps stopped coming out"

What apps are we speaking of that stopped coming out?

I have not noticed a difference at all. Its been same old same old if you ask me.

Appworld filling daily with craps and a new high quality GAME comes every month or so. I'm a bit confused by the thread honestly
    Sansu94 and Relletti like this.
    01-04-13 12:33 PM
    Good info, thanks.
    Could you clarify the situation with current Playbook apps once BB10 is available?

The way I understand it, none of the existing native apps will immediately be compatible with BB10, but most should be compatible after a recompile using the new SDK. Is this correct?
    01-04-13 12:34 PM
    Good info, thanks.
    Could you clarify the situation with current Playbook apps once BB10 is available?

The way I understand it, none of the existing native apps will immediately be compatible with BB10, but most should be compatible after a recompile using the new SDK. Is this correct?
    Rim sent out a message to PlayBook devs letting them know that they didn't have to do any work to port the app to BlackBerry10. Rim , so long as the dev allows it , is taking on the task of porting all PlayBook apps to BlackBerry10.
    01-04-13 07:43 PM
    Rim sent out a message to PlayBook devs letting them know that they didn't have to do any work to port the app to BlackBerry10. Rim , so long as the dev allows it , is taking on the task of porting all PlayBook apps to BlackBerry10.
    if that is true then why did kermED have to add over 3000 lines of code for his app? I guess he probably chose to do it himself but would RIM have done something like that for him? seems like a stretch
    01-04-13 08:01 PM
    I must have missed this email. My one and only app requires some cosmetic changes to make it work passably well under BB10. Things like font sizes and placement/design of some of the UI elements.

However, I decided to try to take advantage of the delay in order to make some other changes - a project that seems to have taken on a life of its own due to what we in the business call "specification creep". One idea leads to another and frankly I don't know where I'll be at launch. Sometimes I think that I am a bit nuts. Right now I am trying to incorporate the changes into the current (PB) version and make them forward compatible with the BB10 version. Most of these changes are in the underlying engine - you might see faster load times and such, but don't expect the app to look much different in the BB10 release.

The bottom line is that I'll take your word for it that RIM has made this peculiar offer to all developers. But my feeling is that it's my project and I'll do the work myself - RIM has absolutely no idea where I want to go with this thing. I am not even sure myself. I may be "behind" in terms of scheduling fixes for the fundamental problems in the product, but in the end, I should have an app that can grow without adding kludge on top of kludge (as has been my practice lately)..

Of course, I thought that the changes that I made last year about this time, would solve all of my problems going forward. Turns out that the exercise just made me realize how many other things were just not quite right yet. I am beginning to think that I will never be finished my first offering and be in a position to make a second app. Is this why I am not getting rich by having umpteen apps in App World?
    robtanz likes this.
    01-04-13 09:17 PM
    Yeah, it really depends on your app - SDK and what you used.

So, for AS3 all the old UI elements (used to create text boxes, labels, etc) were decomissioned to use a new 2nd FUSE UI. For some apps this would be a "lift and shift" but a handful of params (such as .setSize) were removed and need recoding. Additionally some things (IconButtons) no longer work the way they used to and QNXStageWebView now handles a lot of new tab / closed tab events differently.

So milage will very - but building to BB10 isn't the real problem. What it means to PB users is it is very difficult for us to "go back" to OS 2.1. So, Secure Browser - which has a lot of nice improvements - won't be back portable to PB.

Which means PB users won't receive many of the tens of thousands of new apps coming to BB10 until it recieves BB10 itself. In regards to BB10 + Summer, I'm not confident it will release then, but my sources told me it can't release any earlier (no team was assigned to it to build it).

In regards to one big app a month - that's kind of the point In BB10 world it is *very* different. All I am saying is don't be surprised when top apps we have been wanting for a long time appear but not on the PB. They will require developers to resubmit apps for PB BB10 when it comes and will have a vocal build up period (so you will know 3-4 months in advance when BB10 will target PB's).

Sorry if I confused folks (late night post after coding all day). BB10 will be awesome. Happy to build for it. Just remembering for PlayBook lovers such as myself to not be surprised if those "top requested apps" don't come to PB for a while.

Ed

Sent from my BlackBerry Runtime for Android Apps using Tapatalk 2
    01-05-13 02:57 PM
    In regards to RIM porting apps for you:

That only applies to a tiny percent of apps in AppWorld. Very few apps can be pushed forward, Android converts + Marmalade iwui and iwnui apps can be. Most AS3/Java/Ndk/Most WebWorks will not be submitted for you.

That's one of the reasons I am encouraging developers to build Android apps and repackage for BlackBerry. You should never have to rewrite your code then. All of the RIM owned SDKs usually require rework each major feature enhancing update. But because they are "making sure" Android apps work as expected, they will minimize SDK change requirements.

Sansu94, howarmat and mikeo007 like this.
    01-05-13 03:03 PM
    thanks for the info, i am actually not surprised they havent been working on BB10 for the PB. Its not and should not be a priority.
    01-05-13 04:57 PM
    thanks for the info, i am actually not surprised they havent been working on BB10 for the PB. Its not and should not be a priority.
    sucks to hear it but it is true

01-05-13 06:06 PM

LOL! The other day I accidentally sat on my pb for 30 seconds and my rear entered the password 10 times. It wiped my pb and all my apps, it took hours to download them back and days to get my progress back in all my games
    01-05-13 06:20 PM
    Sounds like Playbook has been orphaned by RIM as far as new apps are concerned and perhaps forever unless the new major app devs coming to BB10 decide to write their apps for PB.

With BB10 for PB not until summer at the very earliest and then newer apps being at the whim of devs, it will probably require a new and improved Playbook to attract any attention from the major app devs in question?

Just IMO. What do you guys think?
    01-05-13 07:27 PM
    LOL! The other day I accidentally sat on my pb for 30 seconds and my rear entered the password 10 times. It wiped my pb and all my apps, it took hours to download them back and days to get my progress back in all my games
    I _THOUGHT_ that there was a safety step at some point where you have to type "BLACKBERRY" or similar to make sure that it is not accidental. I did have to type that the other day when I did a Security Wipe. Maybe not for the password entry.
    01-05-13 08:09 PM
    Ah, the old **** wipe.
    01-05-13 09:20 PM
    I hope that's true. I hope I can keep all the apps I've purchased.
    01-05-13 09:52 PM
    BB10 for PlayBook not until summer...well, I'm fukin pissed now.
    01-05-13 10:00 PM
    This made me laugh. Gives a whole new meaning to the term arse-wipe
    01-05-13 10:14 PM
    I _THOUGHT_ that there was a safety step at some point where you have to type "BLACKBERRY" or similar to make sure that it is not accidental. I did have to type that the other day when I did a Security Wipe. Maybe not for the password entry.
    Ya it did... I feel like an ***** but I freaked. On my bb it normally tells me to enter blackberry after 5 or 6 times to continue, then 10 to wipe. It was really late and I just wasn't thinking and entered it hoping for the best... It's all good now though.
    01-05-13 11:01 PM
    This made me laugh. Gives a whole new meaning to the term arse-wipe
    Ah, the old **** wipe.
    yep, now I know to look before I sit lol
    01-05-13 11:02 PM
    ry if I confused folks (late night post after coding all day). BB10 will be awesome. Happy to build for it. Just remembering for PlayBook lovers such as myself to not be surprised if those "top requested apps" don't come to PB for a while.

Ed

frankly this news sucks. So pretty much nothing major is coming to pb in the near future ?

01-05-13 11:38 PM
35 12