I got the Kindle app loaded onto my PlayBook and it seems to be working fine. It shows all the books I've bought through Amazon in my archives. The problem is, the book I've been wanting to read isn't available on Kindle. I got a text file of the book and converted it to a Kindle file, but so far I can only read it on my actual Kindle device. The app says it's checking my PB and syncing but it never finds the book in question even though it's on my PB and working properly in another e-reader. I tried connecting my PB to my computer and putting the two files (one .AZW and one .MBP; I think only the .AZW one is actually used by the Kindle) into the Kindle folder, but the book still isn't showing up. Either I didn't put it in the right place, or I need to modify the program, or it's just not possible.

Any ideas? I tried a different app, and the book worked fine, but it suddenly lost my place and went back to the very beginning of the book, and since it doesn't have a search function I have to flip through the whole book page by page to try to find my spot (and it's a very slow app that takes forever to transition to the next page).

Thanks!
    03-21-12 08:56 PM
    Did you convert it to mobi or prc? Those are the formats used by the Android Kindle app.

I do not think you can sync books that you sideload (although there may be some tricks that I recall reading about Calibre a while back - but that is besides the point). You placed the book in misc/android/kindle or something similar in folder structure?
    03-22-12 11:44 AM
    #1 Kindle app for PB will not sync sideloaded ebooks. #2 Calibre is an amazing app for converting and managing your ebook collection. It has tons of options and is free
    03-22-12 05:28 PM
    Did you convert it to mobi or prc? Those are the formats used by the Android Kindle app.

I do not think you can sync books that you sideload (although there may be some tricks that I recall reading about Calibre a while back - but that is besides the point). You placed the book in misc/android/kindle or something similar in folder structure?
    Both, I think. If you own an actual Kindle device, you can email text files and Word documents to your Kindle email address and Amazon will convert the text file to a Kindle file and send it to your device the same as if you downloaded a book from their store. When I connected my Kindle to my computer there were two files for that document, and I copied both of them to my Playbook. And I put it in whatever seemed like the correct folder, something like apps/kindle/books or something to that effect.

#1 Kindle app for PB will not sync sideloaded ebooks. #2 Calibre is an amazing app for converting and managing your ebook collection. It has tons of options and is free
    That's what I was afraid of. I guess I'll check out Calibre. The one I've been using, "Book Reader for EPUB and Kindle books," is slow and keeps losing my place, and the page turning is awkward.

Thanks anyway! At least I tried.
    03-25-12 08:19 PM
    I have converted some of my ebooks to .mobi using Calibre and sideloaded them onto the PB.

Here is where you must place the .mobi files:

Playbook>Media>Misc>Android>Kindle

Be forewarned, the Kindle app that has been sideloaded sometimes makes you log into your amazon/kindle account when launching the app then will make you remove the book from your device library then re-download it to your device(PB). Hopefully you synced before you shut down the kindle app on your PB as well...
    03-26-12 04:13 AM
    I also have the kindle for android sideloaded on my pb. Im able to open .mobi files without any problems. I use calibre to convert it first then copy it to the kindle folder. It has to be the .mobi file and do not put it in a subfolder inside the kindle folder. Hope it helps
    03-26-12 07:42 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD