I am on my desktop PC right now, BUT, everything is also on my PlayBook screen. I just looked up a USPS tracking notice that of a package that was "out for delivery" this morning but never made it the loong, loong approximately 1.5 mile journey from the PO to my building. I made a screen capture of the notice with the time and date shown on the bottom of my PC screen, to be able to carry around in case I have to speak to the USPS people. I'm just learning the rest of the functionality, but I like it.
    01-12-12 10:07 PM
    I am enjoying it as well. I just bought it a couple hours ago, but I am already loving it. Works flawlessly, my desktop shows up nice and fast and streaming video is smooth. I can access all my files. And it only took like a minute to set it all up.

Very nice app imo. At 5 bucks, it's a steal.
    thymaster likes this.
    01-12-12 10:16 PM
    PLEASE feel free to contribute to this thread. Success rates seem to be mixed so if you are successful it might be useful to share your success with people who are struggling with this app. So many of us wanted / needed this app so lets work together.

I only posted this because I noticed that so many topics end up being re-started and re-started.........so I am trying to keep this topic focused in one thread

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...s-work-687863/
    01-12-12 11:21 PM
    I have a Laptop and have it locked and closed, can I still log in?
    01-12-12 11:51 PM
    The only issues I have, is my desktop is multi-monitor. I can only access the main screen through this app. So if I happened to have a program set to open on one of my side monitors or on my flatscreen tv, I can't see it on my playbook.

But that's my problem, not a problem with the app. But, it is bugging me.
    01-13-12 02:00 AM
    Hi

Splashdot support said they are working on an update to address multi monitor issues, as well as the fact that we can't pull up the app menu(!)...

In the meantime, here are a few workarounds for the monitor thing:

1) Use the right click gesture on the app's taskbar icon. Select "move". Then use the appropriate arrow key to blindly move the window in the direction of the screen that you are on. I tried this, and it works great!

2) Use the right click gesture on the taskbar, and select "cascade". This sends all windows to the main window, cascaded.

3) http://www.southernbread.org/repose-...imary-monitor/

(Disclaimer: I have no connection to the site or its author, its views or anything else about it - I just found the page via a google search for "bring windows back to main monitor screen)

It is an app that brings all open windows to your main monitor. It has worked well for me. You just need to download the binary file to your desktop, and keep it on the main screen.

All the best
    Steve
    Last edited by saescott; 01-13-12 at 06:50 AM.
    01-13-12 03:32 AM
    I bought the app, set it up in less than a minute and all works well. I have yet to take playbook outside of the house and try to access home computer.
    01-13-12 06:21 AM
    Downloading now.
    01-13-12 06:42 AM
    will this work on a linux pc or mac?
    01-13-12 06:47 AM
    All set up. Did a test sending an email from desktop with an attachment from the network. All good. Pretty smooooooth!
    01-13-12 06:57 AM
    This is the greatest app I've ever bought or used.

We have a software program at work the is Windows based and now I can have it on my PlayBook. This will allow me to use it while in the warehouse without having to lug around a laptop.
    Last edited by EdS817; 01-13-12 at 07:46 AM.
    01-13-12 06:59 AM
    Does not seem to work with the Bridge. Does it need a wifi connection?
    01-13-12 07:19 AM
    Does not seem to work with the Bridge. Does it need a wifi connection?
    Yes you need WiFi. Keep in mind this will allow you to see your work computer while sitting on your sofa at home.
    01-13-12 08:30 AM
    First off, a big shout out to Spashtop for publishing a PB version. I'm loving this app for home use and I'm going to touch-base with my IT department next week before I attempt to use it within my work environment. I agree with some of the these other posts that additional security setting are needed, but I definitely see the potential.

I also emailed Spashtop support about adding a middle mouse button gesture. I received an immediate response stating they would pass the request on to the devs. Great support.
    yaabeng likes this.
    01-13-12 08:38 AM
    This is a pretty slick app. Yesterday I was lying in bed, used this on the Playbook to get on my computer and transfer files to my Playbook via wifi file sharing.
    TheStanger likes this.
    01-13-12 08:38 AM
    I am holding out for TeamViewer. But I may cave and grab Splashtop.. I have teamviewer running on several machines already and I don't really want to switch them all. That and Teamviewer is free on the devices it supports so far. If I buy Splashtop I will need to buy the iphone and ipad versions as well :-( That and Teamview has support for dual monitor. Just a button press and it switches which monitor it is showing you.

Buddy at work did grab splashtop though and it looks good. Regarding duel screen. I have fought with this before with older versions of VNC and other remote desktop software. I always use to create display profiles. ATI/AMD and Nvidia drives both support profiles for games so you can turn monitors on or off and switch resolution before starting a game. A quick click and you can activate a single monitor profile. When you get back to your desktop another click and duel monitor is activated.

Good luck,

Mike
    01-13-12 08:45 AM
    moved to Apps & Games
    01-13-12 08:46 AM
    will this work on a linux pc or mac?
    It works perfectly with a Mac, Linux I am not aware of.
    01-13-12 08:49 AM
    I wrote elsewhere: I basically doubled the price by buying a latte at Starbucks and using the app from their store.

The lag was excruciating but I don't know if it was their wifi or my dsl connection. I had left a video open but paused on my computer. Started it up and it was unusable which is fine, I guess. But the lag in typing or mousing or panning was also incredible. I could not tell if the letter I typed was entered or if I missed the key. So I would up with double or triple letters. Same with using the mouse or trying to open app using a desktop icon or panning. Too slow to be really useful. But, again, it could be the open wifi or my dsl.

Oh, I also had to try logging on about 4 or 5 times from Starbucks. It just would not connect.

At home, it is terrific. I tried hulu although I don't use it and there was no lag at all.
    01-13-12 09:35 AM
    Is there a set of instructions somewhere. I had a quick look on the Splashtop web site, but couldn't find anything.

I'm able to connect without any problems (became much easier when I left my desktop signed into my google mail account), and am able to see my desktop on my Playbook, open programs and files, etc.. I am having some trouble navigating, (though I do get the tips when I start up).

How do you transfer files (PB>Desktop, Desktop>PB), access a file from the PB and open it with a local program, etc.
    01-13-12 09:46 AM
    I'd like them add the Splashtop cam feature...

http://www.splashtop.com/camcam
    01-13-12 09:57 AM
    Is there a set of instructions somewhere. I had a quick look on the Splashtop web site, but couldn't find anything.

I'm able to connect without any problems (became much easier when I left my desktop signed into my google mail account), and am able to see my desktop on my Playbook, open programs and files, etc.. I am having some trouble navigating, (though I do get the tips when I start up).

How do you transfer files (PB>Desktop, Desktop>PB), access a file from the PB and open it with a local program, etc.
    Windows, here. You have to open two explorer windows and drag/drop between them. So I opened the pb/media folder and a Desktop computer folder and copied between them. Or right click (press and hold) and use the context menu to copy and then paste. I do not believe you can control a 'foreign' file using the pb. You'd have to move it. All this does is make your OTHER computer available and controllable from the pb.
    01-13-12 10:39 AM
    Right now you cannot wake your computer from the PB (wol). Support said they are working on this as well. This is obviously a very important feature for a remote desktop. It is not very green to leave your computers on all the time.
    01-13-12 11:50 AM
    It works well on the wifi network, but I cannot connect to my home desktop from the office. The desktop is automatically found but when I try to connect, splashtop crashes on the PB.
    01-13-12 11:58 AM
    Going to give it a real world test later. Leaving my laptop on and will be logging on through a mobile wifi connection.

I will report back with my findings.
    01-13-12 12:07 PM
47 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD