So I was thinking about a playbook app...just tell me if you guys think its good or just plain dumb.

I'm going to get a playbook once I save a little money...and I'm not going to have a computer with internet access for a few months. Just my bb and playbook.
    So typing long emails on a touchscreen to me is kind of tough. Bluetooth keyboards are a great alternative. Would you guys download an app that let's you use your blackberry as a keyboard? Just type on your phone and the text comes up on the playbook.
    Seems like a good idea - but at the same time, why not just send the email or whatever from your phone.

I'm pretty quick at typing on my phone. Just an idea. What do you all think?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-29-11 08:35 PM
    Actually I was thinking of making one that does the same thing. except with trackpad use as well. and gestures if you have a torch?
    the only issue i thought of.
    could you do this and bridge at the same time?
    04-29-11 08:40 PM
    I'm not too sure. I don't have much experience with programming, but I'm going to sit down and study a lot and see if I can figure anything out.

04-29-11 08:46 PM
    Yes I could see some utility to a program that lets you use your BB keyboard to input to your PB.
    04-29-11 08:56 PM
    With the current API it would be possible but only within your app on the PlayBook. You wouldnt be able to type in any other app.
    04-29-11 08:59 PM
    Shao, this isn't a PlayBook application if done right... it's an application done on the Blackberry that makes the keyboard/trackpad act as a bluetooth keyboard/mouse and sends the info over bluetooth just like any other HW device. I haven't done any development on the BB phones so not sure if you can get down to the hardware on them or not. It might have to be done by RIM so it doesn't interfere with the Bluetooth bridge but I suspect that it could be done as the Torch (at least) outputs audio over bluetooth quite well while simultaneously on the bridge (over bluetooth again) to the PlayBook.
    04-29-11 09:39 PM
    And BTW, I'd buy an app like that in a second. I've looked at all the bluetooth keyboards/trackpoint combos and don't like any of them and it seems pointless to carry around yet ANOTHER device for when you want to use the PlayBook. There WAS a company that made a Bluetooth to PC bridge but it appeared to need a separate application on the PC which defeats the point. If you do this right, it just hooks up to the PlayBook like any other Bluetooth keyboard/mouse. I find it hard to believe that RIM isn't already working on this. I've suggested it about 10 times already! :-D
    04-29-11 09:42 PM
    Frankly, I was hoping that being able to use a BlackBerry keyboard to type on the PlayBook would be an option. I type a lot faster on my BlackBerry keyboard than any regular one by a long shot. 2 thumbs up, IMO.

04-29-11 09:54 PM
    Shao, this isn't a PlayBook application if done right... it's an application done on the Blackberry that makes the keyboard/trackpad act as a bluetooth keyboard/mouse and sends the info over bluetooth just like any other HW device. I haven't done any development on the BB phones so not sure if you can get down to the hardware on them or not. It might have to be done by RIM so it doesn't interfere with the Bluetooth bridge but I suspect that it could be done as the Torch (at least) outputs audio over bluetooth quite well while simultaneously on the bridge (over bluetooth again) to the PlayBook.
    That was my plan.
    but do you think the BB can push drivers over?
    04-29-11 11:15 PM
    if someone makes this app and it works like a full bluetooth mouse and keyboard would it would be the most downloaded app in app world for sure . i know i would download it

04-29-11 11:39 PM
    The BB doesnt provide low level access like that, youd need it to create an HID profile, but I can't see any way possible to do that. Im not trying to discourage you from trying, but all means go for it, there could be something I missed
    04-30-11 08:32 AM
    The BB doesnt provide low level access like that, youd need it to create an HID profile, but I can't see any way possible to do that. Im not trying to discourage you from trying, but all means go for it, there could be something I missed
    Well I really hope there is something you missed then, because I love this idea for an app. I agree that it would be the most downloaded one. You wouldn't have to carry a BT Keyboard/trackpad around, it would be in your pocket already!
    04-30-11 08:52 AM
    I'm sure you know way better than I do, but I'm going to really look into it and see what I can figure out. Like I said before, I've never made a bb app, so its going to take me while, but its worth a shot. I'm usually good at figuring out stuff like that so well see. If not the keyboard, maybe just the trackpad. I'm not sure if they're together or seperate when you break things down.

And if we can't figure it out here...I hope RIM will see this and develop it. Call it "edition bluetooth keyboard" haha

04-30-11 08:53 AM
    i hope this is a feature that gets added, either from rim or a 3rd party app. would be nice to use as a remote for when the PB is hooked up to a TV. also, in presenter mode being able to use it as a remote to flip to the next slide etc. if the trackpad could used to move cursor/pointer during presentations would nice as well. maybe even a virtual laser pointer...
    04-30-11 05:50 PM
    So you guys are making me excited about this. Does anyone want to try to team up with me and see if we can work on it? Again, I don't have any experience, and I don't care if you do either, we can try to learn together.

04-30-11 06:54 PM
    I would hook up Playbook to my TV thro HDMI and use my BB keyboard and trackball for keyboard and mouse...That would be perfect. But most importantly it has to work with PB browser not just only within some PB app. In fact It would be great if PB paired with any Bluetooth keyboard not just BB keyboards
    04-30-11 06:59 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD