Hey guys,

I need a sort of cloud app which allows me to access all of my music (I have over 60 GBs) from my laptop and not just store 2 gbs of media at a time in online storage. I also need to be able to access my stuff anywhere I am (given I'm connected to the internet). If there is such an app, I would feel better about picking up a Playbook.

Also, if this app does exist and therefore I dont need to use up my Playbook space storing media, how much memory do you think I need (not buying the tablet for games) for development apps and documents.

Thanks!
    05-11-11 08:12 PM
    So just to add, I need like a door to my media and just a service like dropbox
    05-11-11 08:13 PM
    Look at aFlex's aVNC application. Load UltraVNC or TinyVNC on your laptop and there ya go.

Check it out in the apps section. It's in AppWorld now.
    Waff1es likes this.
    05-11-11 08:14 PM
    super sweet.

Do you have any idea about how much storage I should get? I dont have a smart phone so I'm unsure how big apps usually are or if there is any overhead which takes up a lot of room.
    05-11-11 08:17 PM
    05-11-11 08:20 PM
    05-11-11 08:20 PM
    05-11-11 08:21 PM
    No idea what is going on with my links.... search Orb in the PB forum.
    05-11-11 08:22 PM
    super sweet.

Do you have any idea about how much storage I should get? I dont have a smart phone so I'm unsure how big apps usually are or if there is any overhead which takes up a lot of room.
    If you're going to be able to access all your bigger (media) type files off the VNC app, then there's not a lot of reason to pay for bigger than the 16gb. I have that one, and am enjoying it. Of course, there's the issue of re-sale value and some people swear Bigger is Always Better ... but if you don't need it, save the dough.

Kevin
    05-11-11 09:36 PM
    It's no app but Amazon's Cloud Player for the web works on the playbook browser, I routinely access and listen to my music stored there. Only caveat is it will stop playing when the PB sleeps.

It's not the ideal solution at the moment, unless someone can instruct on how to keep it from sleeping or how to keep the browser playing in the background.
    05-11-11 10:03 PM
    I use Subsonic running on my home server to access my music from anywhere. Right now, you can access your entire library via the browser, they're working on a playbook app at the moment. Orb is ok, for music Subsonic is much better.
    05-11-11 11:12 PM
    05-11-11 11:25 PM
    Orb works a treat. I set it up on my laptop. Now going to start to centralise my media with a ReadyNas Ultra which comes with ORB server
    05-11-11 11:50 PM
    Orb works fantasticly. Really quick, slick interface.
    05-12-11 06:10 AM
    No idea what is going on with my links.... search Orb in the PB forum.
    There is nothing wrong with either of the links you have posted.

To the OP - I would recommend Orb. I use it, and it works excellent.
    05-12-11 06:48 AM
    Hey guys,

I need a sort of cloud app which allows me to access all of my music (I have over 60 GBs) from my laptop and not just store 2 gbs of media at a time in online storage. I also need to be able to access my stuff anywhere I am (given I'm connected to the internet). If there is such an app, I would feel better about picking up a Playbook.

Also, if this app does exist and therefore I dont need to use up my Playbook space storing media, how much memory do you think I need (not buying the tablet for games) for development apps and documents.

Thanks!
    You don't need an app. Just get a 100GB SugarSync account and access it with the PB browser. I think SugarSync will have an app soon, but it's not needed really.
    05-12-11 06:52 AM
    60GB of music? you should buy a radio station or record studio. Or wait for Google to launch thier music cloud or use Amazon right now, it's a bit clunky but should be fine until the native app comes out. Everyone has their reasons for owning a Playbook, mine was the display and QNX OS, nothing comes close.
    Last edited by edandrea; 05-12-11 at 08:49 AM.
    05-12-11 08:47 AM
    I have a 16GB Playbook and installed ORB on my mac desktop so i can access all of my music etc on my Playbook, it works flawless!!
    05-12-11 09:26 AM
    +1 Subsonic

Until the app comes (if?), you can listen from the browser and it works like a champ.
    05-12-11 12:57 PM
    It's no app but Amazon's Cloud Player for the web works on the playbook browser, I routinely access and listen to my music stored there. Only caveat is it will stop playing when the PB sleeps.

It's not the ideal solution at the moment, unless someone can instruct on how to keep it from sleeping or how to keep the browser playing in the background.
    I wonder if an Amazon mp3 is in the works for PB? Also why doesn't purchases from mp3 for BB transfer to the web login for Amazon mp3?
    05-13-11 09:40 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD