I'm glad that Blackberry seems to be showing signs that some of the elusive 'big apps' are coming to Blackberry 10. Still, I hope some of them come to PlayBook too and that we don't have to wait until BlackBerry 10 comes to PlayBook to get them.

In particular, I'd like the Kindle app. To me, PlayBook is a much better form factor for reading eBooks than a phone. Would love that app on PlayBook.
    02-15-13 08:44 AM
    I'm not sure if it will come before BB10 but it should come when BB10 does.

You can also sideload Kindle to your PlayBook if you can't wait. I've had it on my PlayBook for over a year and it works beautifully. Even lets me purchase new books Check which version you're sideloading though as some of the newer don't work. I'm running 3.2.0.35 and it works like a charm! If you're not familiar with sideloading just do a search of CB and you'll find many tutorials on the subject. As for where to acquire the required files to sideload, called .bar or just bar files, I usually get mine from goodereader.com but I've heard that bb10bars.com (or something to that extent) is good as well.

Best of luck.
    Mecca EL and RubberChicken76 like this.
    02-15-13 08:54 AM
    I would be surprised if a PlayBook version of the Kindle reader is ever released, as Amazon is under the delusion that their tablet is on a par with PlayBook, and would prefer to keep you locked-in to the Amazon Store that the PlayBook would not be obliged to use. There were early rumors that Amazon intended to release a version for the PlayBook, but as other rumors surfaced about the Fire these dried up.

As noted above, it's actually fairly easy to sideload the Android version. A search here or externally should find links that describe the process - it takes longer to download the tools than it does to install the application.
    Mecca EL likes this.
    02-15-13 09:01 PM
    Hey,if you want a Kindle app, I hope it works out for you. Me I have no desire for it, there Are several excellent book reader apps for Playbook
    02-16-13 11:55 AM
    I've never used Kindle, so this is a genuine question: is the Kindle app better than Kobo? I've only started using Kobo quite recently as I'm a new Playbook owner. After some initial teething problems getting my first Kobo purchases to download fully, it now seems to work perfectly and I'm very happy with it, but I notice a lot of people want to use the Kindle app instead. Is this purely because they own Kindle books anyway, or is the Kindle app genuinely better?
    02-16-13 11:57 AM
    Hey,if you want a Kindle app, I hope it works out for you. Me I have no desire for it, there Are several excellent book reader apps for Playbook
    I have an Amazon account and like the amazon content ecosystem. Sue me. :-)
    02-21-13 04:47 PM
    Sideload the Kindle app from the Goodreader thread. All works 100% for me.
    Attached Thumbnails I hope Kindle makes its way to Playbook-uploadfromtaptalk1361488598235.jpg   I hope Kindle makes its way to Playbook-uploadfromtaptalk1361488621796.jpg  
    02-21-13 05:17 PM
    I've never used Kindle, so this is a genuine question: is the Kindle app better than Kobo? I've only started using Kobo quite recently as I'm a new Playbook owner. After some initial teething problems getting my first Kobo purchases to download fully, it now seems to work perfectly and I'm very happy with it, but I notice a lot of people want to use the Kindle app instead. Is this purely because they own Kindle books anyway, or is the Kindle app genuinely better?
    I have both on my Playbook and find they each work very well. Kobo has a more attractive aesthetic but I wouldn't say one is better than the other. I shop around between them when I purchase books because there can be a significant difference in price depending on all kinds of factors - which company is featuring a particular ebook, promotions, etc.

Living in Canada, I like the empasis on Canadian books from Kobo. Amazon (Kindle) on the other hand, definitely has a broader catalogue and is more likely to have older and obscure ebooks.

I used both long before my Playbook and will continue to do so.
    02-21-13 05:33 PM
    I'm not sure if it will come before BB10 but it should come when BB10 does.

You can also sideload Kindle to your PlayBook if you can't wait. I've had it on my PlayBook for over a year and it works beautifully. Even lets me purchase new books Check which version you're sideloading though as some of the newer don't work. I'm running 3.2.0.35 and it works like a charm! If you're not familiar with sideloading just do a search of CB and you'll find many tutorials on the subject. As for where to acquire the required files to sideload, called .bar or just bar files, I usually get mine from goodereader.com but I've heard that bb10bars.com (or something to that extent) is good as well.

Best of luck.
    +1......

10char
    02-22-13 10:01 PM
    I'm glad that Blackberry seems to be showing signs that some of the elusive 'big apps' are coming to Blackberry 10. Still, I hope some of them come to PlayBook too and that we don't have to wait until BlackBerry 10 comes to PlayBook to get them.

In particular, I'd like the Kindle app. To me, PlayBook is a much better form factor for reading eBooks than a phone. Would love that app on PlayBook.
    I have that app in my list, if you care to sideload it.
    02-22-13 10:02 PM
    BTW, I've been running 3.2.0.35 for a long time and it runs great. I've tried to convert every release since, but none have worked.
    02-22-13 10:05 PM