If I subscribe to the blackberry and playbook system, I will have no way to access my desktop remotely in the current state of things?

logmein seems static about releasing any info on whether they are releasing bb software...
    And other remote desktop clients seem quiet as well...

any tips?
    01-07-12 12:14 AM
    There is a free VPN app IMT VNC that works quite well - though I haven't tried it outside of my own wifi network - someone else might chime in on that. I think something is going on with Citrix as well.
    GlowingBlue likes this.
    01-07-12 12:43 AM
    01-07-12 12:44 AM
    Logmein.com worked for me...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Serkle K and GlowingBlue like this.
    01-07-12 12:53 AM
    ^^there ya go. Does that go through firewalls as well as say teamviewer?
    01-07-12 01:05 AM
    There is a free VPN app IMT VNC that works quite well - though I haven't tried it outside of my own wifi network - someone else might chime in on that. I think something is going on with Citrix as well.
    Yes I had it for about 2 weeks and finally gave up on it in favor of using my browser on either logmein or teamviewer (take your pick, they're both about the same). The reason I gave up on the VNC method is that the VNC app was not any faster than using the browser method, and required making changes to your home network router settings and your PC's network adapter settings. Very old fashioned stuff compared to what's out there today.

With either logmein (there's a free app for this on iPhone as well) or teamviewer (free app for this on Android) you simply install it on your PC and that's all there is to it. You can then login to your account using your browser and you'll connect to your PC. Neither one of these are as functional as they would be if they also had an app for Playbook rather than using your browser, but they're ok for very basic tasks. Like umm... managing your PC's current torrent downloads from another location

One little tip for you though - make a shortcut to osk.exe and place it on your PC's taskbar. that way you can still see your entire computer screen when you need to type something rather than the playbook keyboard getting in the way
    Last edited by omniusovermind; 01-07-12 at 01:12 AM.
    GlowingBlue likes this.
    01-07-12 01:08 AM
    For lucky users of OS2 beta (both versions); Remote RDP pro works perfectly, with evident limitations due to PB form factor .In fact; I just noticed that you have to play with keyboard language a bit; as I'm French: shouldn't affect US/EN users There's even a mouse simulator (swipe from the top bezel to call it) that is quite easy and convenient to use.
    GlowingBlue likes this.
    01-07-12 03:39 AM
    Like BigBadWulf said, RDM+ works. It's a little cumbersome and slow, but I use it when I'm in a pinch. I think it's $10, but I can remote in to my home PC, work PC, and all my corporate network drives. Not perfect, but I haven't found anything as good.

This is probably the one area I've found where a 7" tablet is a drawback. Tough to navigate a remote connection on a small screen. Hopefully we'll see an app to overcome this.
    Last edited by Altarocks; 01-07-12 at 05:16 AM. Reason: need autocorrect!!
    Serkle K and GlowingBlue like this.
    01-07-12 05:14 AM
    Thanks to the PB and full browser experience, I just use logmein or teamviewer. It's my only option as any form of VPN does not work from my end at home as my broadband wifi at home goes through too many 3rd party servers before getting out in the wild so there are too many ports closed to use VPN without a huge cost on my part going to the ISPs involved. Logmein and teamviewer were my simplest solutions as I maintain servers from home. I've had issues operating Firefox remotely through Logmein, but works fine with teamviewer.

GlowingBlue likes this.
    01-07-12 08:24 AM
    For lucky users of OS2 beta (both versions); Remote RDP pro works perfectly, with evident limitations due to PB form factor .In fact; I just noticed that you have to play with keyboard language a bit; as I'm French: shouldn't affect US/EN users There's even a mouse simulator (swipe from the top bezel to call it) that is quite easy and convenient to use.
    I'm using RDP Enterprise android app with OS2 and it works extremely well and fast for controlling my office Windows PC. In addition to desktop pinch-zoom and desktop swipe scrolling, you can access right-click context menus with a tap-and-hold gesture.

Unfortunately I can't find the .bar file to link to, looks like it has been removed from the Android app conversion list.
    01-07-12 10:28 AM
    Thanks for the rely everyone!

Going to try logmein website and see how that goes... Hopefully logmein team will release a native app when the demand gets high enough xD
    01-07-12 10:31 AM
    I've had amazing success with Teamviewer - I contract at many locations with supposedly highly secure firewalls - teamviewer doesn't even blink, no ports to drill - no contact with the IP department, it's almost scary how easy it is.

- NO playbook app however, and I think you have to pay to get browser access.
    Is logmein a paid service?
    01-07-12 12:54 PM
    I've had amazing success with Teamviewer - I contract at many locations with supposedly highly secure firewalls - teamviewer doesn't even blink, no ports to drill - no contact with the IP department, it's almost scary how easy it is.

logmein is free. Its not a real vpn thing though cus it has a print screen and when u click it the scren just refreshes... so its kinda lame
    stillers2 likes this.
    01-07-12 02:08 PM
    Works, but, like tennis or any sport, it does take practice. Have not screwed up
    my PC (yet). Does allow me to look at each of my three monitors.

Hints:

(1) 3 accounts will be set up: sky, PB, and PC - real hard to keep straight
    what you are doing and where during setup; none of these accounts has
    anything to do with any of your existing accounts on your PB or PC;

(2) for my 64 bit Windows dual Opteron, PC panel/status bar was hidden;
    somewhat confusing between 32- and 64-bit in documentation; works;

(3) it may be that my PB / PC PSWD is limited to 5 characters.

Doc Neutron

PS
    Here is a way cool afterthought: what if the predictions that our BB phones'
    keyboard/trackball could drive our PBs. And what if RDM+'s mouse and KYBD
    on our remote PCs could......? Whoa, must be dreaming - but that would be
    way extremely scary.
    Last edited by DoctorNeutron; 01-10-12 at 09:58 AM. Reason: more info
    01-08-12 02:49 PM

i just figured out i can use teamviewer through the website. How do i open files? double tapping doesnt seem to work and i dont know how to right click...
    01-08-12 05:22 PM
    I tried RDM+ and found that it was very slow and laggy. Instead I bought the aVNC app and set it up with port forwarding so I can access my laptop from anywhere in the world on my playbook. it took me a couple of days to figure out the settings because I dont know very much about network settings but am I ever glad I did it that way. The responsiveness of this setup is amazing and I am very happy with how it all works.
    01-08-12 06:17 PM
    I tried RDM+ and found that it was very slow and laggy. Instead I bought the aVNC app and set it up with port forwarding so I can access my laptop from anywhere in the world on my playbook. it took me a couple of days to figure out the settings because I dont know very much about network settings but am I ever glad I did it that way. The responsiveness of this setup is amazing and I am very happy with how it all works.
    Is aVNC faster than IMC VNC?
    01-08-12 07:29 PM
    i just figured out i can use teamviewer through the website. How do i open files? double tapping doesnt seem to work and i dont know how to right click...
    I actually haven't tried it through the website- or on playbook. I'm hoping enough people will email them to request a playbook app -
    01-08-12 07:31 PM
    I dont know if the one VNC progrsm is faster than the other one. I just noticed that it was significantly faster than the RDM app that I had bought from Appworld.
    01-09-12 12:43 AM

i have teamviewer on my laptop.

(had to help my aunt install sims3 on her laptop and after walking her through it 3 times and making her a video i ended up having to do it myself. im in TX she's in DR)

now i'm the slow one. because i cant seem to figure out how to get it to work from my PB i know you can remote access via web. but i'm completely lost.
    Last edited by BBM.Duchess; 01-09-12 at 05:00 PM.
    01-09-12 01:43 PM
    are any of these compatible with MS terminal server? I would be logging into my work's MS server 2003- based TS's . Thanks!
    01-09-12 02:13 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD