Sales are a bit slow today (just 2 sales) so I thought that I would cheer myself up by reading some nice reviews. I know that I need to be a little bit thick-skinned in this business but this new review is just heartless. It completely undoes all the careful explaining that I did in the app's description. I regret that this customer will not be able to change his review whenever RIM gives me access to the magnetometer.

--------------------------------------------------------

Title: nice but needs point and view features
    Created Date: 2011-10-15 18:15:26.24427
    File Bundle: Filebundle[id=266657, name=Whatsupv101]
    Release: 1.0

Review Body:
    nice but needs point and view features
    10-15-11 02:27 PM
    I had no idea that devices had magnetic compasses in them; the few times I've used various phones I've owned for GPS, I figured they were deriving the direction I was going by the change in position. Very interesting.

Are you planning on rewriting your app using the NDK? They must have full hardware access on that platform.
    10-15-11 02:36 PM
    I had no idea that devices had magnetic compasses in them; the few times I've used various phones I've owned for GPS, I figured they were deriving the direction I was going by the change in position. Very interesting.

Are you planning on rewriting your app using the NDK? They must have full hardware access on that platform.
    The PB has a magnetic compass and so do the new OS7 BB devices. GPS can be used as a rudimentary compass but you have to be in motion to get a heading readout. This method is entirely unsatisfactory for using in Augmented Reality apps (as I intend my astronomy app to be ASAP). My app is written using the AIR SDK so I am hoping that RIM will soon expose the magnetometer so that I just need to write a few lines of code to make use of it.

Although I have been able to confirm that the NDK does have access to "orientation" hardware, I have no plans to re-design and re-write my app in C++ unless it is absolutely necessary to do so. Let's just say that the porting exercise would be non-trivial.

In the meantime, I am offering my app for the rock-bottom price of $0.99 with the expectation that the price will be raised considerably when RIM gives me the tools that I need. I am told that What's up is well worth the price even without the AR enhancements.
    10-15-11 03:03 PM
    Yes buzz you need to thicken your skin and not take it so personally. I think those type of reviews are there for every app. If anyone reads your description and then reads a review that rates it lower because it doesn't have something all ready pointed out by you it doesn't have well.........
    10-15-11 03:09 PM
    Yes buzz you need to thicken your skin and not take it so personally. I think those type of reviews are there for every app. If anyone reads your description and then reads a review that rates it lower because it doesn't have something all ready pointed out by you it doesn't have well.........
    You are right, of course. But this kind of review does affect my bottom line so it's not just about my feelings getting hurt. Especially when it happens on the weekend when sales are already slow. Such comments are often followed by several copy-cat ones in short order. I do have the option of denying "inappropriate" reviews but this one is border-line. Is it an "honest" opinion or is it completely unjustified? There is no clear answer and I always feel guilty when I deny a review..

Anyway, I hope that you don't mind me venting from time to time - I feel better already.
    10-15-11 03:32 PM
    You are right, of course. But this kind of review does affect my bottom line so it's not just about my feelings getting hurt. Especially when it happens on the weekend when sales are already slow. Such comments are often followed by several copy-cat ones in short order. I do have the option of denying "inappropriate" reviews but this one is border-line. Is it an "honest" opinion or is it completely unjustified? There is no clear answer and I always feel guilty when I deny a review..

Anyway, I hope that you don't mind me venting from time to time - I feel better already.
    Don't mind at all and I can understand the frustration. Not only do you have that going on but also the playbook doesn't have a real large user base yet. Hopefully that will change.
    BuzzStarField likes this.
    10-15-11 03:38 PM
    10-15-11 04:05 PM
    I showed my Mom your app
    No internet or cell phone access where she lives, out in the boonies -- but plenty of stars!
    10-15-11 05:42 PM
    Sales are a bit slow today (just 2 sales) so I thought that I would cheer myself up by reading some nice reviews. I know that I need to be a little bit thick-skinned in this business but this new review is just heartless...
    Slow sales day for you too, eh? My sales have dropped off a cliff after a good run for a few days... Wonder why, maybe the PlayBook sales have ended for the most part?
    Anyway, I know how you feel, I tense up everytime I go read my reviews, in anticipation of what someone will say. But what I've been telling myself is, in App World, no review is a bad review, at least in terms of placement in your category. So just think, it's one more review to help you move up in placement position! Does that cheer you up?
    10-15-11 06:18 PM
    Magnetometer support will come with air 3 / flash 11 which hopefully arrive together with OS 2.

P.S. you could use native extensions in air but even the NDK has no access to magnetometer
    10-15-11 06:46 PM
    there u go buzz. been holding out on the ap for a clear night but decided to help your slow day.
    10-15-11 06:47 PM
    Buzz
    I saw this and also bumped your numbers !

Great looking app....now we just need the sky to clear !

Question .... the geocoder button is grayed out. How do I get that working so I can pull my co-ords using a postal code ?

gail
    10-15-11 07:19 PM
    Just downloaded it, looks really neat!
    10-15-11 07:36 PM
    Buzz

Question .... the geocoder button is grayed out. How do I get that working so I can pull my co-ords using a postal code ?

gail
    Quit the app and restarted and it all works fine now.
    Super app !!
    gail
    10-15-11 07:57 PM
    Count me in for a sales bump Time the kids learned about the stars
    10-15-11 08:00 PM
    Buzz

gail
    Thanks to everyone for your putting up with my whining. I do feel much better now and I appreciate the bump.

Regarding the specific problem setting the location using the postal code: Things go wrong if you attempt to use the GPS method first and stop the process before it gets a fix. The workaround for the bug (the only one that has been reported to date) is to simply restart the app. When you reopen the Location dialog again, tap the PC button first and you should be good to go.
    10-15-11 08:21 PM
    Magnetometer support will come with air 3 / flash 11 which hopefully arrive together with OS 2.

P.S. you could use native extensions in air but even the NDK has no access to magnetometer
    I'm hoping that my dream will come true soon. I am getting mixed messages about availability of the magnetometer in the NDK. I do know that a dev got the magnetometer to work from within the (leaked) Android player, so the hooks are certainly available for PlayBook (in some way, shape or form.)
    10-15-11 08:28 PM
    Slow sales day for you too, eh? My sales have dropped off a cliff after a good run for a few days... Wonder why, maybe the PlayBook sales have ended for the most part?
    Anyway, I know how you feel, I tense up everytime I go read my reviews, in anticipation of what someone will say. But what I've been telling myself is, in App World, no review is a bad review, at least in terms of placement in your category. So just think, it's one more review to help you move up in placement position! Does that cheer you up?
    You are absolutely correct and on reflection, I am grateful to my reviewer for two reasons:
    1. He bought my app
    2. He took the time to comment on it (less than 2% of people have done so)

I think that I speak on behalf of all developers when I say that reviews are important because they increase our visibility within our category. So I encourage everyone to think about their favourite PB apps and take a few minutes to add a review in App World.

Sometimes a bad review is warranted, but in most cases it is better to save your one shot at making a review until after the developer has responded to your request for support. It would have been nice if my reviewer today had used the support email address in this way.
    Last edited by BuzzStarField; 10-15-11 at 08:56 PM.
    10-15-11 08:44 PM
    Thanks to everyone for your putting up with my whining. I do feel much better now and I appreciate the bump.

Regarding the specific problem setting the location using the postal code: Things go wrong if you attempt to use the GPS method first and stop the process before it gets a fix. The workaround for the bug (the only one that has been reported to date) is to simply restart the app. When you reopen the Location dialog again, tap the PC button first and you should be good to go.
    I had this issue during setup, gave up on GPS and attempted to enter coordinates manually. The app wouldn't accept them until i closed and re-started it. Works great now!

I only have one location input right now so I'm not sure how the app works for recalling saved locations, but it would be nice to be able to 'name' each saved location for those of us who move around a lot (eg home, cabin, vatican, great wall of china, etc and whatever).

I'm more than a little irritated it's cloudy here tonight!
    Last edited by Mikey_T; 10-15-11 at 09:04 PM.
    10-15-11 08:50 PM
    I had this issue during setup, gave up on GPS and attempted to enter coordinates manually. The app wouldn't accept them until i closed and re-started it. Works great now!

I only have one location input right now so I'm not sure how the app works for recalling saved locations, but it would be nice to be able to 'name' each saved location for those of us who move around a lot (eg home, cabin, vatican, great wall of china, etc and whatever).

I'm more than a little irritated it's cloudy here tonight!
    I can't do much about the whether but there will be a maintenance release near month's end. Besides the bug fix, I will be including multiple locations, configurable font sizes and some deep sky objects in both north and south hemispheres (for people using binoculars.)
    Depending on available time, I may also implement a night viewing mode (red theme) so your eyes won't have to continually adjust while you are shifting your focus between the sky and the display. All upgrades (including the biggie for AR) will be free.
    10-15-11 09:22 PM
    I can't do much about the whether but there will be a maintenance release near month's end. Besides the bug fix, I will be including multiple locations, configurable font sizes and some deep sky objects in both north and south hemispheres (for people using binoculars.)
    Depending on available time, I may also implement a night viewing mode (red theme) so your eyes won't have to continually adjust while you are shifting your focus between the sky and the display. All upgrades (including the biggie for AR) will be free.
    That all sounds awesome it's a great looking app already, really nice job.
    10-15-11 10:13 PM
    Sales are a bit slow today (just 2 sales) so I thought that I would cheer myself up by reading some nice reviews. I know that I need to be a little bit thick-skinned in this business but this new review is just heartless. It completely undoes all the careful explaining that I did in the app's description. I regret that this customer will not be able to change his review whenever RIM gives me access to the magnetometer.

--------------------------------------------------------

Title: nice but needs point and view features
    Created Date: 2011-10-15 18:15:26.24427
    File Bundle: Filebundle[id=266657, name=Whatsupv101]
    Release: 1.0

Review Body:
    nice but needs point and view features
    I can tell you put alot of yourself into this app.
    10-16-11 12:44 AM
    I can tell you put alot of yourself into this app.
    I would never try to sell something to you that I wouldn't buy myself. Some developers sell an incomplete product based on a long list of "planned features". Not me. The following is an excerpt from my app's description. For the most part, my policy has resulted in positive reviews along the lines of: "The app lacks an important feature but is still well worth the asking price". So when I get a review like the one in the OP, I am always a bit dismayed (and I want to scream.)

----Excerpt from What's up description----
    I regret that one important feature is missing. I know that you are asking for a "point and view" sky map. Unfortunately, augmented reality features must wait until RIM gives me a way to access the device's magnetic compass. Because of this limitation, you will be able to download What's up at a special introductory price. Updates will always be free.
    10-16-11 05:28 PM
    Just bought your app. Bought it based on what I've read here.
    10-17-11 07:31 AM
    As soon as I put money in my account, I'm totally buying. I've been wanting this app ever since it came out
    10-17-11 08:23 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD