Looking through the app world, there are about less than 5 games that are more than 10 MB and two of them (NFS and Tetris) are already included free for the Playbook.

I think I only saw another one that is about 18 MB.

The rest are tiny size with less than 10 MB.

I know that the Playbook is fairly new so I am hoping that it will be in bigger size like the ones for the ipad. Even android games are usually less than 30 MB in size and the ones that are big are usually from Gameloft.

But for now, the games from App world is pretty sad.

I guess we all need to walk before we know how to run.
    05-11-11 11:30 PM
    really, the size of the game means nothing.
    Machzy likes this.
    05-11-11 11:55 PM
    more content and better graphics = bigger size
    05-12-11 01:23 AM
    A lot of the best Android games are around 17mb compared to other games that are hundred of mb and not nearly as good...
    05-12-11 02:15 AM
    more content and better graphics = bigger size
    yes and no, i can (and always do) make themesets with icons of 100Kb or more per icon. this gives you a large filesize, i can then compress, at no cost to quality of image, to apx 10% of the size. so a larger app could simply mean less optimization, which is why size isnt a deciding factor
    05-12-11 09:35 AM
    yes and no, i can (and always do) make themesets with icons of 100Kb or more per icon. this gives you a large filesize, i can then compress, at no cost to quality of image, to apx 10% of the size. so a larger app could simply mean less optimization, which is why size isnt a deciding factor
    i like optimization
    05-12-11 10:52 AM
    its goes both ways. Bigger apps could mean it has more levels or better graphics for a game. The apps are more robust with more features. It also can mean its just really bloated and has alot of fluff for no reason
    Machzy likes this.
    05-12-11 11:07 AM
    I will make you a very bloated version of brick breaker just to make you happy!
    05-12-11 01:15 PM
    Until yesterday apps had a size limit of 300 MB, but it has been upped to 2 GB. Size doesn't really tell anything about the quality though.
    05-12-11 01:18 PM
    In life, everything is a probability.

The probability of a game that is 400 MB in size vs. 4 MB in size will be a better game.
    05-12-11 01:18 PM
    In life, everything is a probability.

The probability of a game that is 400 MB in size vs. 4 MB in size will be a better game.
    No, it just means it has a crapload more textures/movies and possibly less compression...

Go look at the top selling games on Android.
    05-12-11 01:40 PM
    If capcom ported sf4 over to the playbook that would be at least over 300 mb. Don't tell me sf4 isn't a fun game.
    05-12-11 01:41 PM
    but would it be fun on a tablet?
    05-12-11 01:43 PM
    maybe i should see how many people agree with you, ill take a hi-def blu-ray rip of a movie and insert a thats what she said button.

as the movie plays you must listen for unintentional double entendres and quickly press "thats what she said!"
    points for good timing.

its a game, its huge, but is it better?
    05-12-11 01:45 PM
    I am not saying that all large size games are better than small size games.
    The word that I want to emphasize is "more."

Again, it goes back to the probability rule.

If today you find a game on the app world that is 500 MB big, do you think that it would be worse than the many games that are less than 10 MB on the app world today.
    05-12-11 02:00 PM
    i would want to look at screen shots and reviews as i would with any other app.

until you mentioned it i did not look at file sizes. its crazy to think that homeland security app is less than a megabyte
    05-12-11 02:09 PM
    on a side note, i think a thats what she said app would sell....
    05-12-11 02:10 PM
    Go look at the top selling games on Android.
    Top selling does not mean it is better. It just means that more people are buying it. One of the big contributing factor is the price.

Toyota Camry sells more than Farrari. Which car is more fun to drive?
    05-12-11 02:11 PM
    Top selling does not mean it is better. It just means that more people are buying it. One of the big contributing factor is the price.

Toyota Camry's sell more than Farrari's. Which car is more fun to drive?
    You don't ignore fun vs price either... Fun per dollar spent is just as much of an issue.

This argument has hit ******** levels though, so I'm out...
    offthahorseceo likes this.
    05-12-11 02:12 PM
    You don't ignore fun vs price either... Fun per dollar spent is just as much of an issue.

Thats what she said
    05-12-11 02:16 PM

This argument has hit ******** levels though, so I'm out...
    Angry Birds is one of the big seller. True, it is a fun game for many people. But if that game is $30, the number of sell will be much less than it is now.

If Angry Birds game was bigger in size (such as including all seasons, Rio version etc...), wouldn't it be a better game than a smaller Angry Birds game that has only one seaon.
    05-12-11 02:19 PM
    Angry Birds is one of the big seller. True, it is a fun game for many people. But if that game is $30, the number of sell will be much less than it is now.

If Angry Birds game was bigger in size (such as including all seasons, Rio version etc...), wouldn't it be a better game than a smaller Angry Birds game that has only one seaon.
    Your arguement is flawed on a few different levels.
    1) adding a ton of levels to angry birds doesn't require a huge increase in MB size. It's mostly all level design, not assets.
    2) There's a price cap on how much people are commonly willing to spend (broad audience, not niche). Doesnt' matter how good the game is or how big it is to compensate... A fun $1 game will always sell more (total profits) than a 10x as fun $10 game (generically speaking). Just like how phones over the $199 price point statistically sold significantly less than phones that met that price cap.
    05-12-11 02:23 PM

so glad you bring that up, angry birds, one of the most successful (doesnt ean best or worst, thats subjective) is apx 18Mb on iOS, yet it sells by the boatload and people love it.

the whole size of an app arguement is moot. its the quality of the app, just because an app is big doesnt mean its amazing, and just because an app is small doesnt mean its not amazing.

in this case, size doesnt really matter
    05-12-11 02:42 PM
    Your arguement is flawed on a few different levels.
    1) adding a ton of levels to angry birds doesn't require a huge increase in MB size. It's mostly all level design, not assets.
    2) There's a price cap on how much people are commonly willing to spend (broad audience, not niche). Doesnt' matter how good the game is or how big it is to compensate... A fun $1 game will always sell more (total profits) than a 10x as fun $10 game (generically speaking). Just like how phones over the $199 price point statistically sold significantly less than phones that met that price cap.

Address #1:

It doesn't require a huge increase in size because the graphics are not that intense (3D, more animation, etc...). But you also mentioned that it has an increase in size, even though not by much. Therefore, size does matter.

Address #2:

I already gave a comparison between Toyota Camry vs. Farrari. For the general population, people are more willing to spend money on the Camry than a Farrari. Does this make a Camry a more fun to drive car than a Farrari? Toyota make more money selling Camry than Farrari company selling Farrari.
    05-12-11 02:52 PM
    Address #1:

It doesn't require a huge increase in size because the graphics are not that intense (3D, more animation, etc...). But you also mentioned that it has an increase in size, even though not by much. Therefore, size does matter.
    What? You could actually make the game SMALLER and increase the level count with a random level generator, or user level creator...
    05-12-11 02:55 PM
34 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD