First I want to say I love the Playbook, it does everything I need and more. A few things have happened lately though that are starting to turn me off of this company.

What is with RIM and their APP control. The last few apps I have downloaded are not only garbage they just do not work.

For Blackberry to let these APPS on their APP World is a disgrace but lets take it one step further. How ridiculous is it that Blackberry has APPs that do not work on their home screen for d-load ---- AKA GPS Maps.

I would love to know if there is anyway to get your money back for APPS that just don't work. There is no excuse for this.
    Eir likes this.
    04-23-12 01:37 PM
    Always read the reviews before you buy.
    04-23-12 01:46 PM
    I'm not sure if that qualifys them as dirtbags, but I would read reviews on Crackberry before buying certain apps. Especially $500 clock apps.
    04-23-12 01:47 PM
    Didja email BlackBerry Support? From their website?
    04-23-12 01:48 PM
    This is news to me that other app stores don't approve apps that fail to work properly...
    04-23-12 01:51 PM
    Much better title name.

All app stores have this issue. You really need to check the reviews on App World and here on CB.
    Michelle Haag likes this.
    04-23-12 01:55 PM
    I do read the reviews but I bought this APP a few months ago before many of the negative posts were up. So what you are saying is that you should wait a few months before spending 5 bucks on an app and let everyone else be test monkey's just to see the reviews LOL, come on. I don’t buy this if its on their site it should work. I am not complaining about crappy apps (hey I have bought a few thats the risk) I am complaining about apps that just don't run and it’s happened a few times now.

Here is reality there is no QC with their apps and the reason why I used this one as an example is the reviews have been horrible for sometime yet just recently they have added it to their home screen. Really months of negative posts and then you decide to highlight this APP. Does this qualify as them being dirtbags, YUP.
    Last edited by kship; 04-23-12 at 02:02 PM.
    04-23-12 01:56 PM
    Did you ask for your money back? If they don't give you your money back than I would think you have an excuse to complain. This is whether you are talking BB, iPad, or Droid apps. All have the same issues of not working or crappy apps. So, all of them would be classified as dirtbags according to you.
    04-23-12 02:08 PM
    Actually, bad / low quality apps are present on all platforms. But you will unlikely see ebooks labeled as apps on other platforms

And there are thousands of them in the App World.
    Bakamushi likes this.
    04-23-12 02:14 PM
    Are you kidding???

This maybe a valid post in Android or iPhone world, but not here. LoL
    04-23-12 02:54 PM
    Maybe I'm lucky, but I haven't downloaded one app yet that didn't work properly. I've got some I don't like, but they've worked.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    04-23-12 03:35 PM
    What annoys me are the "book" apps.
    kennyliu, nazreil25 and Kleopatra like this.
    04-23-12 03:44 PM
    Maybe I'm lucky, but I haven't downloaded one app yet that didn't work properly. I've got some I don't like, but they've worked.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk

Evernote doesn't work with 2.x.. Can't even write a simple note and Evernote doesn't even care..
    04-23-12 04:13 PM
    Evernote doesn't work with 2.x.. Can't even write a simple note and Evernote doesn't even care..
    Mine works fine, I don't know why people have issues with Evernote. I read horrible things about it all over the forums. Blackberry has made it's Tablet OS very developer friendly in doing so we're gonna be getting all kinda of different quality apps. Realize the Cascades UI framework isn't even released yet. Give it a break.

Many developers here have the base coding done on apps but are waiting for the newer framework to finish development. I imagine other developers are probably sitting on code as well, waiting to see if Blackberry is worth their time/development $$. Look at the Windows app store, and you'll see high prices and all different app quality issues
    04-23-12 04:22 PM
    In reality I think even Google and apple appstore are full of bad apps too..
    Just that when you have 1 bad app in 1,000 its easier to go unnoticed compared to 1 in 100..
    Jamaicangirl81 likes this.
    04-23-12 09:40 PM
    All the app stores have bad apps, RIM's problem stems from the fact the gave away PlayBooks to anyone who submitted an app. A lot of those apps were rubbish and never should have been approved. That said; given the amount of apps that are in there -- it's easier to spot the bad ones.

To make matters worse on RIM's part, feedback goes to the developer -- not RIM so there is essentially no way to cry foul on the BS that does make it in there. App World isn't perfect by any means but neither are the others. They all have their own issues one way or another. Worst case, fight the charge with however it was billed and get your money back, I've done it in the past with no issues.

Though, I do have to say.. I never would have bought a GPS app for the PlayBook in the first place. The GPS on it isn't assisted so it takes forever to spin up, lol.
    kennyliu likes this.
    04-24-12 03:01 AM
    All the app stores have bad apps, RIM's problem stems from the fact the gave away PlayBooks to anyone who submitted an app. A lot of those apps were rubbish and never should have been approved. That said; given the amount of apps that are in there -- it's easier to spot the bad ones. To make matters worse on RIM's part, feedback goes to the developer -- not RIM so there is essentially no way to cry foul on the BS that does make it in there. App World isn't perfect by any means but neither are the others. They all have their own issues one way or another.
    Bla1ze. Do you have access to the App World stats? I am wondering how many of all the Playbook apps are by Digi Media. Those ebook "apps" may be a worse problem than the rubbish Android apps.
    04-24-12 03:04 AM
    Bla1ze. Do you have access to the App World stats? I am wondering how many of all the Playbook apps are by Digi Media. Those ebook "apps" may be a worse problem than the rubbish Android apps.
    Nah, but I'll see what I can find out at BlackBerry World when I'm there, makes me wonder as well.
    kennyliu likes this.
    04-24-12 03:10 AM
    Much better title name.

All app stores have this issue. You really need to check the reviews on App World and here on CB.
    I disagree entirely with this attitude. These apps are made available through BlackBerry Appworld as such RIM should ensure a level of quality control, that an app actually does what it claims to do before allowing it on Appworld. This silliness of having ebooks for sale as apps for example needs to stop. BlackBerry will never have as many apps as Apple or Android nor should it try. It's not about padding the numbers, but an Appworld filled with quality apps properly organized and searchable, nor a that would be something special.
    Eir likes this.
    04-24-12 04:23 AM
    Some apps may not suit your needs and some may have bugs or just not be full fetured enough.

The only flaw I see in APP World is I want to see a Android icon if it is an Android app.

To get an Android App in App World the developers are to remove all references to droid.

SO, maybe they don't want no droid on App World.

FINE, mark the Native Apps with the BB logo.
    04-24-12 04:31 AM
    First I want to say I love the Playbook, it does everything I need and more.
    Lucky you.

What is with RIM and their APP control. The last few apps I have downloaded are not only garbage they just do not work.

For Blackberry to let these APPS on their APP World is a disgrace but lets take it one step further. How ridiculous is it that Blackberry has APPs that do not work on their home screen for d-load ---- AKA GPS Maps.

I would love to know if there is anyway to get your money back for APPS that just don't work. There is no excuse for this.
    Yes, this is a HUGE problem. Some say there are garbage apps on Android too, but on Android you can test the app, and if you don't like it, you can cancel the purchase and get your money back.

In BlackBerry's App World there is no way to know whether an app is fine or garbage, you need to buy it, and after that - there is no chance for a refund.

BlackBerry's quality control surely is not operating well when it comes to App World apps, they are not testing well, and maybe not testing at all.

By the way, there are also books selling as apps on the Android Market too, but percentage-wise, they're not so many.
    Last edited by Eir; 04-24-12 at 07:45 AM.
    04-24-12 07:38 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD