11-17-11 01:46 PM
33 12
tools
    What irritates the @#$%^& out of me is that RIM has decided to prevent us from using a website so that they could extract additional $$$ from us yet all the other companies producing tablets have access. What will they block next? Sounding more like an iApple product.......
    What site would that be? Hulu and Netflix are the ones blocking us. Netflix also requires a Silverlight plugin of some sort, which is probably built-in to their apps.
    11-13-11 02:14 PM
    What irritates the @#$%^& out of me is that RIM has decided to prevent us from using a website so that they could extract additional $$$ from us yet all the other companies producing tablets have access. What will they block next? Sounding more like an iApple product.......
    It appears to me that RIM concluded they could earn more money by developing their own product and preventing competition. Or do I have that backwards....prevent the competition and then TRY to make an almost comparable product.

Their decision thus far is costing them more in sales than allowing Hulu and Netflix to stream.

Just another nail...
    You guys need to look into the FACTS, not just wild speculation. Hulu BLOCKED the PB, RIM didn't block Hulu. No evil monopoly involved on RIM's part. Hulu's mobile business model is to sell Hulu Plus. Hulu is the one who blocked their site that worked for us so that THEY could sell us a product. A product that they don't even have available. And before you make the claim that RIM should just "pay them", what does that realy equate to? You have NO idea! You have NO idea if others paid or if there was just easier availability for the app. How much does NetFlix pay in licensing to make their streaming app available to a new platform? Any ballpark guesses? It's not just an arbitrary decision in the hands of Netflix or RIM. It's part of the licensing with the content providers, etc.

If Hulu and Netflix were telling us they have a PlayBook app, and RIM won't let it into App World, then your points would have merit...

You guys need to go post against Hulu somewhere with the same misguided anger you had for RIM. Maybe their forums...
    Last edited by TheScionicMan; 11-13-11 at 02:46 PM.
    diegonei likes this.
    11-13-11 02:43 PM
    I would rather see a better movie app than netflix anyday. I have netflix on in my home now and it is a waste of $8 month to me. Only reason I still have it is because of my daughter.
    11-16-11 10:31 PM
    Any hang ups with Amazon Prime (lag, etc.)? I'm debating subscribing for this feature. Does it work via bridge or just wifi?
    Sorry, I did not see your question. I just streamed an hour TV show in 720p. It did buffer a couple times, but other than that, it was a great experience. Picture quality is excellent and audio is also excellent. Granted, I have a 20Mbps Wifi signal. I have not tried over Bridge. My Storm cannot send any more than a .6Mbps signal, I dont think it would be successful. An HD stream from Amazon is a 2500kbps stream.
    11-17-11 01:52 AM
    TheSonicMan,

Ask yourself, why would Hulu and Netflix block their sites from the Playbook browser? After all, these two companies are seeking new business in many different platforms. It doesn't add up does it? I wish I had an explanation that didn't point back to RIMM?

I would appreciate your explanation.

dg
    11-17-11 01:20 PM
    That sucks, there's no tv or movie content on the PlayBook. Anyway Hulu doesn't work outside the US,
    11-17-11 01:30 PM
    Hulu actually worked quite nicely in the early days before they enacted the block! It was definately all Hulu!
    11-17-11 01:32 PM
    TheSonicMan,

Ask yourself, why would Hulu and Netflix block their sites from the Playbook browser? After all, these two companies are seeking new business in many different platforms. It doesn't add up does it? I wish I had an explanation that didn't point back to RIMM?

I would appreciate your explanation.

dg
    Why would I need to ask myself a question that has already been answered? I already stated the position that those companies take in regards to their product. They are contractually bound to terms. They don't just have a free pile of TV shows and movies that they can dole out at their whim. Pointing blame at RIM is completely baseless, only driven by your irritation.

If Hulu gave us free mobile Hulu until they got HuluPlus going for the PlayBook and THEN cut it off, people would scream even louder than they are about not having it at all. Hulu cut it off to protect their business model.

NetFlix claims that they are are gauging interest and still looking into an app for the PB. Did RIM block their app in favor of their own that hasn't been finished, but then gave them a nice story to tell their customers? Or does it have to do with SilverLight, which powers their browser based site? Or maybe their licensing agreement, which is specific to different hardware platforms?

It's not a RIM conspiracy, it's just business. Why would they torpedo their main business (hardware) to make a small profit off of a few movies? Doesn't add up...
    Last edited by TheScionicMan; 11-17-11 at 01:52 PM.
    11-17-11 01:46 PM
33 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD