We could have had Hulu & Netflix all this time....but RIM wants/wanted to produce their own system to sell to you.
    11-06-11 06:25 PM
    We could have had Hulu & Netflix all this time....but RIM wants/wanted to produce their own system to sell to you.
    Why would RIM stop them? They just see that making a QNX version is not profitable at this time. Once the PlayBook is doing great, they will think about it. This is usually how it goes.
    11-06-11 06:39 PM
    Proof or just opinion?

Tim
    11-06-11 06:39 PM
    Hulu blocked the PB, RIM didn't block Hulu. Netflix claims that licensing rights limit what mobile devices they can provide to.

Blaming RIM is just silly.
    howarmat, diegonei, John.P and 2 others like this.
    11-06-11 06:49 PM
    The ball is really in Netflix and HULUs hands.

For me I'd rather watch a movie on my 50 than my Playbook screen. But that is just me. I know others will have a lot of use for it if it were avalable.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-06-11 07:15 PM
    Hulu blocked the PB, RIM didn't block Hulu. Netflix claims that licensing rights limit what mobile devices they can provide to.

Blaming RIM is just silly.
    You are correct.

However, $$$ talks -- and the apparent decision to pay companies like EA to develop for the PlayBook and not the media content companies (Netflix, Hulu, etc) was a huge oversight by RIM. The consumer market is just not something RIM fully understands yet or knows how to cater to, and it's killing them.
    11-06-11 08:29 PM
    You are correct.

However, $$$ talks -- and the apparent decision to pay companies like EA to develop for the PlayBook and not the media content companies (Netflix, Hulu, etc) was a huge oversight by RIM. The consumer market is just not something RIM fully understands yet or knows how to cater to, and it's killing them.
    What was Hulu's asking price to unblock their site? I ask because it worked fine on my playbook for a week until it was blocked and you appear to have direct knowledge of the negotiations.
    alikat979 likes this.
    11-06-11 08:33 PM
    For me I'd rather watch a movie on my 50 than my Playbook screen. But that is just me.

We all would, but hauling around a big tv with internet capabilities just seems dumb. Would think it would be kind of awkward on the bus or the back seat of a car on long rode trips.
    11-06-11 08:42 PM
    We all would, but hauling around a big tv with internet capabilities just seems dumb. Would think it would be kind of awkward on the bus or the back seat of a car on long rode trips.
    I tried it in my carry-on luggage but security objected!
    diegonei likes this.
    11-06-11 09:42 PM
    i would think the internet speed would be the biggest issue when driving. I would load the movies or TV shows on it first.
    11-07-11 02:00 AM
    My back hurts at the thought of that!!! Ouch!!

Good point.
    Last edited by elchavodellethbridge; 11-07-11 at 10:48 AM.
    11-07-11 06:44 AM
    i would think the internet speed would be the biggest issue when driving. I would load the movies or TV shows on it first.
    Depends on your carrier, my home country Egypt has HSPA+ coverage on all traveling roads and nearly every single spot in the country. So watching any of those would be so easy using Bridge or WiFi hotspot soon to be on BlackBerry.

Last year I used to Watch Youtube while traveling without a single buffering.

11-07-11 07:04 AM
    Hulu worked just fine, Hulu is the one blocking access via the browser but isn't making an app.

Netflix I'm not sure about, but I don't think RIM would be blocking that app. If they are then RIM is really dumb.
    11-07-11 09:02 AM
    You are correct.

Actually it's not a huge oversight at all --- because RIM is helping game developers to port their game engines, which will bring hundreds of other games onto the platform.

You help netflix and you get one app.
    11-07-11 11:28 AM
    lol even nook tablet will have native hulu plus(monthly $) and netflix app at launch. come on playbook! jump into the competition!!!

by the way, does hulu plus subscription work on playbook?
    RBergmann1 likes this.
    11-07-11 01:42 PM
    Hulu+ does not work on the PB. That is even more frustrating than Hulu not working since its a premium service and its perfectly capable of working properly on the device. Amazon Prime/VOD works perfectly fine, in HD no less.

11-07-11 03:11 PM
    If you cable or Sat has Epix, then you can get EpixHD, which is an HBOgo like app, that is pretty damn good. Better quality of stream than HBO and Netflix!!!!!
    11-07-11 03:38 PM
    May be related... does the Playbook support Silverlight? It seems to me that I read somewhere that Netflix uses Silverlight, and not Flash.
    11-07-11 04:56 PM
    May be related... does the Playbook support Silverlight? It seems to me that I read somewhere that Netflix uses Silverlight, and not Flash.
    It doesn't, but we can hope OS 2.0 brings that in along with some other much needed supports (this is, after all, a professional grade tablet to do away with laptops right?).
    11-07-11 07:08 PM
    i just tried hulu throigh the android browser (im running os 2 beta) and i could browse, but when i attempted to watch something it said the latest version flash was requited and then gave me a notice that hulu isnt yet available on android. was kinda hoping that would work
    11-07-11 09:42 PM
    Hulu+ does not work on the PB. That is even more frustrating than Hulu not working since its a premium service and its perfectly capable of working properly on the device. Amazon Prime/VOD works perfectly fine, in HD no less.

Any hang ups with Amazon Prime (lag, etc.)? I'm debating subscribing for this feature. Does it work via bridge or just wifi?
    11-09-11 08:48 AM
    Any hang ups with Amazon Prime (lag, etc.)? I'm debating subscribing for this feature. Does it work via bridge or just wifi?
    I have only tried free videos, which are trailers and featurettes, NOT full movies, BUT they work great on wifi. HOWEVER they don't work at all while bridged because amazone thinks you are connecting to them from Canada.
    starbury1 likes this.
    11-09-11 09:57 AM
    What irritates the @#$%^& out of me is that RIM has decided to prevent us from using a website so that they could extract additional $$$ from us yet all the other companies producing tablets have access. What will they block next? Sounding more like an iApple product.......
    11-13-11 08:19 AM
    What was Hulu's asking price to unblock their site? I ask because it worked fine on my playbook for a week until it was blocked and you appear to have direct knowledge of the negotiations.
    Do you expect me to know that?

It obviously wasn't a problem for Amazon. Despite the massive content they already offer, they seemed to have no problem making deals with Hulu and Netflix to get their content on the Kindle Fire (and it's not even out yet!). This, along with its price tag and other features RIM chose to ignore, has translated to sales that RIM could have easily, easily gobbled up considering the tablets are remarkably similar (although RIM still has the edge spec-wise). See where halfway-decent marketing and CONTENT gets you?

I'm as big of a BlackBerry fanboy as there is -- trust me. But RIM really needs to wake up.
    Last edited by bulls2213; 11-13-11 at 08:48 AM.
    11-13-11 08:45 AM
    It appears to me that RIM concluded they could earn more money by developing their own product and preventing competition. Or do I have that backwards....prevent the competition and then TRY to make an almost comparable product.

Their decision thus far is costing them more in sales than allowing Hulu and Netflix to stream.

Just another nail...
    11-13-11 12:24 PM
33 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD