08-20-11 11:08 PM
33 12
tools
    Can you give me a screem shot og ur TightVNC viewer options?
    07-29-11 12:43 PM
    Can you give me a screen shot of ur TightVNC viewer options?
    I don't use the TightVNC viewer at all. In fact, I didn't even install it. Since I only want to access my PC from my Playbook I just use the TightVNC server on my PC and a viewer app on my Playbook.

I originally started out using aVNC on my Playbook, but have since switched my daily usage to the IMT-VNC client since it is free and includes the ability to right-click..

For your reference, I have included screenshots here of both of these Playbook VNC client config screens. One is the aVNC config screen and the other is the IMT-VNC config screen..

Hope this is helpful!
    Last edited by Mojoski; 07-29-11 at 01:37 PM. Reason: Removed my machine name and port number from the photos..
    IvanAMANation likes this.
    07-29-11 01:27 PM
    TY, Mo. I appreciate it... I'm going to check out that IMT-Vnc As well.
    07-31-11 04:11 PM
    TY, Mo. I appreciate it... I'm going to check out that IMT-Vnc As well.
    So did you get it all working, Ivan?

If not, and for anyone else struggling with the port forwarding issues and such needed to access VNC remotely, you might want to check out the new app in App World called RDM+ from Shape Services. It seems targeted at people who need simple remote access to their machines but don't want the hassle of dealing with all the port forwarding and such. If anyone tries it, let us know how it works. It costs $9.99, but if it works as advertised that would seem like quite a bargain, considering how much time some people have spent trying to get their VNC setup working properly..

Thanks!
    08-05-11 08:08 AM
    Hey guys, I installed A-VNC on my PB, and have TightVNC on my computer. I mimicked your exact settings in the attached pictures, but am still having issues.

I can log in internally just fine (within the network, 192.168.etc.etc) but when I try to connect with my playbook it asks for the password, then says my settings are incorrect. I've tried every single combination of settings on the playbook.

Any suggestions?
    08-19-11 10:56 PM
    Hmm, one server software I haven't seen recommended yet is UltraVNC (UltraVNC - VNC - Remote Support Software - Remote PC Access Service - UVNC - Free - OpenSource). I use this particular package exclusively on all of my systems because of a few special features it has, main one being the repeater support.

I've used it with all the VNC clients for the PB and never had any problems with it whatsoever. I know there's many different encoding methods and that some clients don't support certain encoding methods, this is most likely what the "settings are incorrect" message is saying.

Not sure where you'd adjust that in TightVNC, and I would give UltraVNC a shot just to keep life easy. It's a free download and has no restrictions, if you just want the download page: Download UltraVNC 1.0.9.6.1 - UltraVNC - VNC - Remote Support Software - Remote PC Access Service - UVNC - Free - OpenSource
    That's the latest version, and you just need to choose if you need 32 or 64 bit. One other piece of advice, on Windows Vista & 7 (Server 2008 and above) you're going to want the Vista add on package. And on ALL versions of windows you want the display / mirror driver, it will greatly speed up VNC and take a considerable load off the host computers CPU.
    Jawbone220 likes this.
    08-19-11 11:19 PM
    Hey guys, I installed A-VNC on my PB, and have TightVNC on my computer. I mimicked your exact settings in the attached pictures, but am still having issues.

I can log in internally just fine (within the network, 192.168.etc.etc) but when I try to connect with my playbook it asks for the password, then says my settings are incorrect. I've tried every single combination of settings on the playbook.

Any suggestions?
    I'd suggest you try it with the free VNC client called IMT-VNC on your Playbook
    and see if it works any better than aVNC.
    Jawbone220 likes this.
    08-20-11 09:25 AM
    Thanks guys, I will try both. I downloaded IMT for my viewer client on my PB and it works great so far internally. I will try an external network soon.

Server-side I'm still on TightVNC for now, but if I still have issues gaining access externally, I will switch to UltraVNC.

Thanks again for the help!
    08-20-11 11:08 PM
33 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD